Windows 10: VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation

Discus and support VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Noticed so far : 1) Evaluation seems to last until 31 Oct 2020 2) you cannot disable debugging mode -- so it's possible that the performance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation

Hi folks Noticed so far : 1) Evaluation seems to last until 31 Oct 2020 2) you cannot disable debugging mode -- so it's possible that the performance could be slightly degraded -- can't say I've noticed it yet though. 3) Linux VM's with a GUI don't allow 1920 X 1080 screen resolution -- not a mega show stopper for me as I rarely use Linux VM's with a GUI -- for console / command line that's not an issue. Whether this is a problem with the Wayland video thing (changed from XORG) or a problem with VMWare's video adapter --no idea !!! 4) Currently no Linux version so unable to test Windows VM's on Linux Hosts with this release. 5) Otherwise seems to be fine -- Full screen works for Windows guests so problem must be with the Wayland Linux driver. Note if you install the enhanced keyboard driver you will be asked to re-boot machine which takes a LONG TIME !!! compared with normal --leave it --it's NOT broken. Next Windows reboot works properly again. Couple of screenshots : Evaluation period: VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation [​IMG] No 1920 X 1080 screen resoltion available in a Linux VM with a Windows manager-- Note you can't use xrandr with Wayland !!!! and current distros are deprecating XORG now. VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation [​IMG] For a System running a VM Linux server in CLI mode (i.e no GUI) -- everything working properly including media and file servers, samba openssl, ssh etc. Raid 0 on the VM (via mdadm) working as well using "Physical disks" as shown in the ist screen shot. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

Noticed so far :

1) Evaluation seems to last until 31 Oct 2020

2) you cannot disable debugging mode -- so it's possible that the performance could be slightly degraded -- can't say I've noticed it yet though.

3) Linux VM's with a GUI don't allow 1920 X 1080 screen resolution -- not a mega show stopper for me as I rarely use Linux VM's with a GUI -- for console / command line that's not an issue. Whether this is a problem with the Wayland video thing (changed from XORG) or a problem with VMWare's video adapter --no idea !!!

4) Currently no Linux version so unable to test Windows VM's on Linux Hosts with this release.

5) Otherwise seems to be fine -- Full screen works for Windows guests so problem must be with the Wayland Linux driver.

Note if you install the enhanced keyboard driver you will be asked to re-boot machine which takes a LONG TIME !!! compared with normal --leave it --it's NOT broken. Next Windows reboot works properly again.

Couple of screenshots :

Evaluation period:

VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation [​IMG]

No 1920 X 1080 screen resoltion available in a Linux VM with a Windows manager-- Note you can't use xrandr with Wayland !!!! and current distros are deprecating XORG now.

For a System running a VM Linux server in CLI mode (i.e no GUI) -- everything working properly including media and file servers, samba openssl, ssh etc. Raid 0 on the VM (via mdadm) working as well using "Physical disks" as shown in the ist screen shot.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    WKS 14.1.3 - defect forwarded to VMware

Hi folks
    For VMware WKS 14.1.3 users (and equivalent VMware player version) I've submitted a defect / bug report to VMware. Hopefully it will be addressed in next update - however as I pointed out the "get around" is simple - start VMware player / workstation in administrator mode before opening the VM so whether they will release a fix just for this problem --who knows.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare WKS 15 definitely worthwhile upgrade

Hi folks

The VMWare WKS release 15 definitely a worthwhile upgrade -- better snapshot managing, memory etc --I/O seems to have been really better optimised too.

Haven't tested all the features but I'm impressed so far -- also annoying defect of having to run in admin mode when using complete RAW (Guest OS native file system) Disks has been fixed too.

Networking also vastly improved with decent file transfer speeds and SAMBA working properly )(couldn't get SAMBA 4.7 to display Windows shares (Guest Linux accessing Host Windows -- always works the other way round though).

Note this is NOT a HYPER-V vs VMWare thread - some tools are better for each type of application --simply pointing out to any VMWare users that the update seems IMO worthwhile.

I use both in any case.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. VMWare WKS 20H1 evaluation - Similar Threads - VMWare WKS 20H1

2. VMWare fixed for 19H1 and 20H1 releases

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare fixed for 19H1 and 20H1 releases: Hi folks posting this as a new thread since the title of the previous one refers to an older release of VMware which doesn't work and to avoid confusion. An update is available from VMWare which fixes the ongoing problems of 19H1 and 20H1 Windows builds when either trying...
  3. VMWARE WKS rel 15 really efficient

VMWARE WKS rel 15 really efficient: Hi Folks On a desktop running W10 (Hundur in diagram) I'm running easily concurrently 2 Linux Virtual servers marked SAMBA server … - one serving Music, the other videos, TV, Movies etc, one XP VM, and 2 W10 X-64 VM's. [img] response time is fine on all of them VMWare...
  4. VMWare WKS 15 definitely worthwhile upgrade

VMWare WKS 15 definitely worthwhile upgrade: Hi folks The VMWare WKS release 15 definitely a worthwhile upgrade -- better snapshot managing, memory etc --I/O seems to have been really better optimised too. Haven't tested all the features but I'm impressed so far -- also annoying defect of having to run in admin mode...
  5. VMware users Release 15 WKS now out

VMware users Release 15 WKS now out: Hi folks To VMware users WKS rel 15 and appropriate player release(s) are now out. Upgrading currently will see how it pans out -- while I still can get it from work !!! Cheers jimbo 118490
  6. WKS 14.1.3 - defect forwarded to VMware

WKS 14.1.3 - defect forwarded to VMware: Hi folks For VMware WKS 14.1.3 users (and equivalent VMware player version) I've submitted a defect / bug report to VMware. Hopefully it will be addressed in next update - however as I pointed out the "get around" is simple - start VMware player / workstation in administrator...
  7. VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out

VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out: Hi folks VMware users build 14.1.3 is available both for Linux and Windows Hosts - Free upgrade. Appropriate upgrade for users of the free VMware player as well. From VMware menu --help --check for upgrades should get you to download / install. I use both VMWARE...
  8. VMWARE WKS - 12.1 Enable printing ?? Solved

VMWARE WKS - 12.1 Enable printing ?? Solved: Hi there VMWARE WKS 12.1 seems to have an error on both LINUX and WINDOWS Hosts. If you try and attach a printer to the VM you get "Printing must be globally enabled" message in the VMware VM configuration. There's nowhere to set this !!!!!. Any way of adding it...
  9. Vmware WKS 12 - max PHYSICAL disk size

Vmware WKS 12 - max PHYSICAL disk size: Hi there anybody know what Max HDD size is allowed in VMware workstation (PHYSICAL Disk) I've seen plenty of references to Max VIRTUAL HDD size - and that's 8TB - but what about when using a PHYSICAL HDD. I have a RAID array of 9.1 TB attached as a Physical HDD -- my...
  10. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...