Windows 10: VMWare Workstation 11 & working Cloned win 10 now not activated

Discus and support VMWare Workstation 11 & working Cloned win 10 now not activated in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have been using VMware 11 which I am new too, And also playing with a new windows 10 install. I have installed a genuine win 7 copy which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Tron98, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Tron98 Win User

VMWare Workstation 11 & working Cloned win 10 now not activated

I have been using VMware 11 which I am new too, And also playing with a new windows 10 install.
    I have installed a genuine win 7 copy which was activated and then installed win 10 from inside win 7 and this also activated without problem. So left with a working activated copy of windows 10

After a few days I thought I would do a fresh install from a ISO and wipe the disk. This worked fine as expected and is still activated and running fine.

I then thought with all my playing with the disk I would do a FULL clone of this clean install so it would be a good starting point and a backup just in case something happened to the other VM and snapshots. I then tried to run this clone but now windows stays this clone is not activated. No matter what I do.

I then went back to the original VM and this still is activated fine.

I thought a cloned VM computer would not trigger the activation process if it was used on the same Host pc with the same settings.

Anyone have any ideas ??

SOLVED SEE LAST POST

:)

Tron98, Aug 13, 2015

2. Win 10 upgrade is now being blocked due to "Get Windows 10" Fails due to VMWare SVGA 3D driver

Win 10 upgrade is now being blocked due to "Get Windows 10" Fails due to VMWare SVGA 3D driver on my Win 7 PRO VM's and my Win 8.1 VM's.

Initially it was a warning, but sometime later changed to FATAL error blocking Win 10 upgrade.

Original Title: VMWare Workstation 11 SVGA driver

Updated just in case someone reads a Vmware answer.

Jonas Grumby-IIXL, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Cannot make use of LifeCam Studio in Desktop under Windows 10 ? (in VMWare Workstation 12)

I know what happen now. Since I use the camera inside VMWare Workstation 12 i.e. I install Win 10 inside VMWare Workstation 12 and connect the lifecam studio to the guest Win 10.

When I connect the cam to host Win 10, everything work fine. My question now is:

why the camera app in the guest Win 10 work properly but the translator app not ? I understand if both app not able to use the camera, but why camera app work fine in guest Win 10 but translator app not ? Thanks.

Regds

LAM Chi-fung, Aug 13, 2015
  4. jimbo Win User

Hi
    I'm unable to help but will be watching the thread and investigating. I have a 8.1 VM in Workstation 11 that I run on my MacBook and was wondering about it's upgrade...

jimbo, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Tron98 Win User
    Think I might have found the reason from another website, need to do further testing.

When you clone a virtual machine, it asks you what to name the new VM and then it makes all of the necessary changes to all of the filenames. When you copy a VM, all of that information (filenames, directories, etc.) stay exactly the same. But something else happens when you clone an VM that doesn't happen when you copy it. Since VMs are completely software-based versions of an Intel-based PC, they also include a virtual networking interface that, like real PCs, has a unique MAC address (the unique address that helps networks tell network attached device apart from another). When you clone a PC, the clone gets a new MAC address.

So when you copy or clone a virtual machine there is something interesting that happens is when you move an existing VMware-based VM from one computer to another. The first time you try to run that VM, it detects that the VM was moved and asks if you want to keep it associated with VMware's unique identifier (known as the UUID) for that virtual machine, or if you want to create one. According to VMware, if you create a new UUID that will trigger a change to the MAC address which in turn could awaken the licensing Gods at Microsoft.

Tron98, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Tron98 Win User
    I'm not sure it can be done

You can change the mac address and change the UUID

But the uuid.location number does not seem to be able to be changed without it being reset when you boot

The Location UUID is based on the physical computer's identifier and the path to the virtual machine's configuration file. This UUID is generated when you power on or reset the virtual machine. As long as you do not move or copy the virtual machine to another location, the location UUID remains constant.

Just deleted and re-done another Full clone again and changed the uuid before the VM started and at the moment it seems to be activated (so maybe the location UUID does not mater or maybe later with use it will change its activation status?

Tron98, Aug 13, 2015
  7. hiphopper Win User
    Activation status should not change. Once activated the system should stay activated. Of course, if several VMachines appear on the Internet with the same product key and identical activation information then Microsoft will assume the system has been pirated and will disable the activation key.

I know YOU are not pirating Windows, but wanted to make sure that other readers were aware of the possible consequences of doing that sort of thing.

hiphopper, Aug 19, 2015
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Activation status CAN change on a VM - especially if you CLONE say a VM and run it on a different HOST machine. It largely depends on any hardware changes in the "Virtual BIOS" which the activation servers detect. Sometimes the cloning works perfectly - other times you might get asked to re-activate -- especially if you say "Update VMWARE Tools" when updating VMware from version 10.X (workstation) to version 11.X

I think you just have to take pot luck on this one.

Copying the whole VM directory seems to work better than using the "Clone VM" process in VMware workstation though.

What also works is running Acronis (bootable version) from INSIDE the VM - save the image to a shared drive and Restore again from inside a new VM.

The UUID could have something to do with it -- that at least is unique and we won't run out of UUID's for the lifetime of THE UNIVERSE -- just using hardware - won't do the trick and product keys similarly as there are zillions of VL keys out there too (Multiple activation ones) so there must be ZILLIONS of identical VM's out there.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    For some reason everytime I open VWS11 it unresponds for a while before finally loading then I create a new VM and start it and it unresponds for a while again then after I install the OS + drivers it unresponds again but never responds back.

Kesto, Aug 19, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

"Unresponds" ???? don't understand what you mean.

What HOST and what VM's are you running. Have you also allocated enough RAM for the VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 19, 2015
  11. Kesto Win User
    Well usually I created Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 VMs I'm still using windows 8.1 (win 10 copy STILL not ready) and yes I've allocated enough ram.

Kesto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VMWare Workstation 11 & working Cloned win 10 now not activated - Similar Threads - VMWare Workstation working

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. Update to Win 10 2020--VMware Workstation Glitch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to Win 10 2020--VMware Workstation Glitch: Attempting to update to Win10 2020 Get the following error message 25% into installation: _P0_VMware Workstation Pro Mo-Op Uninstall this app I have uninstalled the app but the error message continues to interrupt my installation. Any ideas> [ATTACH]...
  5. Activate Windows 10 in VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 in VMWare Workstation: I installed LINUX on a brand new Lenovo X1, read the procuct key and tried to activate Windows 10 Pro at the same Hardware in an VM. Unfortunately I also used the wrong Microsoft ID with the same E-Mail account . The wrong Microsoft ID is now set to switch off in July, I 'm...
  6. Configure VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  7. VMWare Workstation 10.4

VMWare Workstation 10.4: VMWare Workstation 10.4 is on the street. Up and running, and at the moment haven't had any problems running any OS. 2753
  8. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...
  9. VMWare workstation 11 no internet.

VMWare workstation 11 no internet.: Hi, I've done a clean install of windows 10 Pro but am now unable to get internet on a guest VM on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 . I just get a yellow ? Ethernet controller in device manager. I tried my legal copies of Windows Me and Windows 3.11 and can get...
  10. VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street

VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street: Haven't bought it as of yet, hopefully tomorrow. . .good luck. 3144