Windows 10: vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

Discus and support vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there VMWARE users - Workstation release 12 is now available - specially built for W10 VMware Workstation: Multiple Operating Systems Linux,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 28, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

jimbo45, Aug 28, 2015

2. Cannot make use of LifeCam Studio in Desktop under Windows 10 ? (in VMWare Workstation 12)

I know what happen now. Since I use the camera inside VMWare Workstation 12 i.e. I install Win 10 inside VMWare Workstation 12 and connect the lifecam studio to the guest Win 10.

When I connect the cam to host Win 10, everything work fine. My question now is:

why the camera app in the guest Win 10 work properly but the translator app not ? I understand if both app not able to use the camera, but why camera app work fine in guest Win 10 but translator app not ? Thanks.

Regds

LAM Chi-fung, Aug 28, 2015
  3. zozio Win User
    zozio, Aug 28, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Seems they are re-branded.. Workstation --> Workstation Pro and Player --> Workstation Player

5. If you are concerned about that any look under "Personal Desktop" on the product page as well as the "Free downloads" seen at VMware Virtualization Products for Virtual Servers, Virtual Desktops, and Data Center | United States

I just downloaded the latest VM Player version a few weeks ago due to 10 having compatibility issues with an earlier version. The rename to Workstation Player suggestion it contains what the Pro version over the Home with any software would see being more features as well as additional support provided for other things.

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  6. SysAdmHowto, Sep 1, 2015
  7. When downloading the file I end up seeing VM Player 12.exe as the file name which is the next newer version from VM Player 7.1.2 which was the updated version from VM Player 5.0.1 that won't run on the 64bit flavor of 10 Pro while the 32bit download might still work on the 32bit 10. The 7.1.2 version however will run on 10 as well as the 12 having just downloaded that when the previous wouldn't even install on 10.

Night Hawk, Sep 2, 2015
  8. vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

Doh! Why use VMware when M$ Hyper-V (in W10Pro only) and VirtualBox are free?

nosecureboot, Sep 2, 2015
  9. derekimo Win User
    VMware is free too.

free

derekimo, Sep 2, 2015
  10. Plus the fact is that VM Player if not Virtual Box will be two options available since the Home edition doesn't feature the Hyper-V option as the Pro edition sees included. As seen in the past if you are running the Home or Home Premium, Home Basic, Starter with 7, etc. edition of a version you have to go out and find a 3rd party app while the Pro or Ultimate for Vista and 7 for example would be featuring some additional goods!

I guess having invested in all three 7 editions except for the Corporate edition is paying off presently! *Biggrin

At the same time however I still end up grabbing the freebies from the 3rd party sources when needed as well. That includes the primary interest in not so much with older versions of Windows like 3.1 and 9x but when wanting a quick look at the other OS no need to make changes on any of the drives here and they will last since they won't require activation. Just the flavor changes every month or two! *Roflmao2 You almost need a new VM daily to keep up there!

Night Hawk, Sep 2, 2015
  11. pete1208 Win User
    I'm using it to virtualize 2 windows 10 machines on a win 10 host. When I switched from workstation 11 to 12. I found this useful:

• In VM settings, removed CD then re-added to get latest VM virtual version
    • Went into preferences and set non grabbed priority to Low - So host doesn't bog down when you need it
    • If the host is Win 10 with Insider builds on, and you get a new build that gives you a new HI screen when you sign in, then you need may need to go into the virtual network editor and do restore defaults (you know when workstation complains about a keyboard hook missing - press ok to fix) Esp if you use bridged networking

pete1208, Sep 2, 2015
  12. VMware Workstation/Windows is NOT free. Please don't suggest or imply it is. VMware Player is available for home users with a free license, but it's not the same exact thing as Hyper-V or VirtualBox. If you're going to show someone up, please do so with full disclosure, anything else is just a waste of everyone's time because... you're wrong!

nosecureboot, Sep 2, 2015
  13. rbmorse Win User

VMWare Player may not be "exactly the same thing" as Hyper-V or VirtualBox (except it's easier to create a VM in Player than with Hyper-V and works more reliably than VirtualBox), but functionally it's close enough. What does Player not do that Hyper-V or VirtualBox will?

rbmorse, Sep 2, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    Headless (both do this, I don't think Player can), auto-suspend on host shutdown (Hyper-v and Workstation Pro can do this, Player and VBox can't). I think you can only run one VM at a time with Player (not sure about that though).

Then again VMWare has Unity if you like that. Only VirtualBox is free on all platforms, VMWare costs on OSX and Hyper-V is only Windows.

I guess there are other differences but that is all I can think of.

I don't agree VMWare is easier. They are all pretty simple and all are equally robust in my experience. I use them all from time to time.

15. Anyone can disagree, however VMware isn't easier and you can't create VMs with VMware Player, that's why it's free. Doh!

Overall, use what you want, but I don't think VMware is as useful or better than Hyper-V and VirtualBox, because they are (basically) free, whereas VMware Workstation IS not!

Is Unity-type functionality not available with Hyper-V and/or VirtualBox?

nosecureboot, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10 - Similar Threads - vmware workstation built

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  5. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 Support
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  6. Vmware workstation rel 14 out

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Vmware workstation rel 14 out: Hi there vmware rel 14 out ( I guess they skipped V13 !!!) has a load of new features including Unity support for W10 , New CPU support, new guest OS support for various OS'es, support for latest V4 Linux kernels (both HOST and GUEST OS'es) etc. here's a link to...
  7. VMware workstation 12 player

VMware workstation 12 player: I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable that? [img] 23361
  8. Vmware workstation 10.3 - W10 cannot install vmware tools

Vmware workstation 10.3 - W10 cannot install vmware tools: Hi there Problem with installing VMWARE tools with Windows 10 x-64 using Windows host. Works fine on LINUX host !!!! (VMware workstation rel 10.0.3 build-1895310) Cheers jimbo 1993
  9. Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze

Guest OSs In VMWare Workstation 12 Crash or Freeze: Hello all, Im having an interesting issue where it seems like any guest OS I install into VMWare crashes or freezes shortly after being powered on. Right now I have a Windows 8.1 x64 VM and a Fedora Workstation 25 x64 VM and they both lock up on me. I have no idea whats...
  10. VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street

VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street: Haven't bought it as of yet, hopefully tomorrow. . .good luck. 3144