Windows 10: VNC with laptop lid closed

Discus and support VNC with laptop lid closed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PatrickMoody1, Nov 21, 2019.

1. VNC with laptop lid closed

I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night.

We recently upgraded to windows 10 enterprise and now VNC doesn’t work properly when lids are closed.

The VNC server fix doesn’t completely fix the issue. The screen goes blank when lid is closed and fix brings back some of it but there are

malfunctions. I have many remote classroom locations across the country to support and this renders my support role a living hell. I am about to leave a 20 year career over this.

1. You cannot get the start menu to work right

2. Some applications launch with blank UI and you cannot see these applications properly to support them. You can see on RDP but RDP has limitations because we cannot alter many aspects of windows display setting.

3. Logout and shutdown hangs up. When you open lid the actions the loo out and shutdown them completes. Really odd behavior.

4. We are going to use webex to allow remote screen access to these laptops and this affects this as well. We will have to remove every laptop and setup on AC adapters and ethernet because we wont be able to store in cabinets with this issue.

Microsoft please revert this to previous W10 distribution so I can do my job. Why did yiu change this? It is obvious you guys changed video card handling with laptop lid function. Was this on purpose? Can you supply a patch to fox this???

There 2 models we use 640 G2 with intel graphics and new 645 G4 with AMD graphics. Each displays a sightly different issue.

- G2’s dont blank but start menu issue and app UI issue occurs with lid closed.

- G4 blank completely with lids closed. If I disable the AMD graphics card in hardware setting and windows then loads the generic driver its acts like the Intel based G2’s. But this presents an issue when hooking up an external monitor or projector because it isn’t recognized and no signal comes out of the external video ports.

No doubt this is a Microsoft Windows issue and I desperately need a fix ASAP because we have to roll out with Windows 10.

Microsoft please explain why you changed this behavior???

:)

PatrickMoody1, Nov 21, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Nov 21, 2019
  3. rmoreau Win User
    How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Nov 21, 2019
  4. VNC with laptop lid closed

Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

VNC with laptop lid closed

1. VNC with laptop lid closed - Similar Threads - VNC laptop lid

2. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  3. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  4. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  5. Close a lid

Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  6. turning on laptop with lid closed

turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  7. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  8. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  9. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vnc closed lid

2. vnc goes dark when laptop lid closed

3. run vnc server on closed lid laptop

4. Tightvnc blank screen as close lid,
  5. DROP VNC CONNECTION WHEN LID CLOSED ,
  6. will real vnc work.when.laptop lid is closed,
  7. vnc no display when laptop closed