Windows 10: Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible

Discus and support Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've used Skype for a while and recently started using Zoom too. 3 times in the last 2 weeks (maybe 1/3 of the times I've used these 2 apps) when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeA01730, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible

Hi,

I've used Skype for a while and recently started using Zoom too. 3 times in the last 2 weeks (maybe 1/3 of the times I've used these 2 apps) when I connect the other people on the call say my voice is garbled so badly that they can't understand me at all. It's happened with both applications and I can't correlate it with anything else that's going on. Twice the term Mickey Mouse has been used, but Mickey can be understood and I can't. Twice when this has happened (the other time I didn't try to fix it) I've tried restarting the application and when I reconnected it worked fine.

My mic is in my LogiTech C310 camera. Any time I test the mic there's no problem, and except for this problem the voice quality is fine. My desktop PC is pretty fast and I have Verizon gigabit FiOS which I connect to via Ethernet. I don't run anything that would suck up network, CPU, or any other resources when I run these 2 applications. My Windows version is 1903.

I've looked at Windows Settings and verified that access to the mic isn't denied, access by desktop applications (whatever they are) is enabled, and on the same screen the list of applications includes the two applications with the correct time of last access. I use ESET AV and verified that access by both Skype and Zoom is allowed. I used the Device Manager to update drivers for the C310 but it says I'm up to date. I've looked at both support sites but most suggestions are specific to one application (e.g. reinstall Skype) but since the problem happens with both apps I've mostly ignored them.

Any ideas how to fix this? The fact that it's interment doesn't help.

Thanks,
    Mike

:)

MikeA01730, Apr 8, 2020

2. setting up microphone for speech recognition

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are trying to setup speech recognition on the PC.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • When you say that “the box is grey and unresponsive”, where you are seeing this option?
    • Are you able to connect the microphone to the PC? (Does it show in Device Manager)

Meanwhile we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to setup the microphone.

Steps to set up a microphone: Before you set up Speech Recognition, make sure you've plugged the microphone into your PC so the following steps work.

1. Press Windows + Q or click on the Windows Search.
    2. Enter Set up a microphone in the search box, and then tap or click
      Set up a microphone.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    4. Once you are able to setup the microphone and then check if it’s working.

You may also refer this article for additional help: Use voice recognition
    in Windows 10

If you are facing issues configuring microphone on your computer, I would suggest you to refer:

Fix microphone problems

Let us know how it goes.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Microphone doesn't pick up voice.

Hi Gijuana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Do you get any error message or error code on the screen?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed to resolve the issue?
    As of now I suggest you t follow the methods below and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run and check hardware device troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the step:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
    • Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.
    • Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.
    • Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator. (Enter credentials if prompted)
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled and is set as default.

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

a) Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

b) Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

c) Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.

d) You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.

Method 3: If the issue still persists, then let’s try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps. Please follow the steps given below.

To install the drivers in compatibility mode:

• Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
      Properties

• Select Compatibility Tab

• Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list

• Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Hope the information helps. Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, Apr 8, 2020
  4. Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible

How to use voice command on Lumia 530

Hi,

Courtesy of
    T-Mobile.com

To set up Cortana to use for voice commands, follow these steps:

• Create or sign into your exisiting
      Microsoft account
    • On the start screen, swipe left, and tap Cortana.
    • Follow the instructions shown on your phone.

Note: To turn off Cortana, open Cortana > Menu > Settings > Turn off.

To open apps using voice commands, follow these steps:

• Tap the microphone.
    • Say "open" followed by the name of the application.
    • Answer any clarifying questions from Cortana.

To use voice dialing to call a contact, follow these steps:

• Tap the microphone.
    • Say "call" followed by the name of the contact.
    • Answer any clarifying questions from Cortana.
    To write and send a text message (SMS) using voice commands, follow these steps:

• Tap the microphone.
    • Say "text message."
    • Answer any clarifying questions from Cortana create and send message.

Smittychat., Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible

1. Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible - Similar Threads - Voice Microphone Sometimes

2. A microphone not recording my voice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A microphone not recording my voice: I have it enabled in privacy settings, i tried deleting it but nothing worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-microphone-not-recording-my-voice/e8535f6f-9028-45eb-908c-6518df3f8aa3
  3. Microphone is not recording anything but voice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone is not recording anything but voice.: Since the latest Windows updates, my computer refuses to record anything except voice: guitar, clicks right next to the microphone, claps, anything. I have tried uninistalling updates, installing more recent ones, but nothing has helped. Earlier today I recorded a track with...
  4. Low microphone voice sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Low microphone voice sound: My microphone is good but it is barely recording voice sound i have also increased it to100 from properties, it only recognizes breathing air sound easily. I have tried updating driver from device manager and it says that I have already latest driver installedI have also...
  5. Low microphone voice sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low microphone voice sound: My microphone is good but it is barely recording voice sound i have also increased it to100 from properties, it only recognizes breathing air sound easily. I have tried updating driver from device manager and it says that I have already latest driver installedI have also...
  6. Low microphone voice sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cortana voice activation took over microphone!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cortana voice activation took over microphone!: Cortana used to pop-up mistakenly frequently, so I turned off the voice activation for some time.For some reason, I turned it on again, since then, my microphone was taken over completely!My friends can't hear my voice through voice call on any messaging app until the voice...
  8. Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Voice Over Microphone Sometimes Unintelligible: Hi, I've used Skype for a while and recently started using Zoom too. 3 times in the last 2 weeks (maybe 1/3 of the times I've used these 2 apps) when I connect the other people on the call say my voice is garbled so badly that they can't understand me at all. It's happened...
  9. Microphone is not recording voice

Microphone is not recording voice: I have a problem with headphones. Yesterday my PC froze and I had to perform hard shutdown. The next day I was trying to speak with my friends through Discord but the mic stopped hearing my voice. Instead it started recording PC sound. Can you help me?...
  10. voice recorder microphone

voice recorder microphone: voice recorder microphone not working, is asking to add an external microphone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recorder-microphone/1ff40f41-7afb-4ea8-a80c-841077ec7860