Windows 10: Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions

Discus and support Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I hit a brightness or volume key on my Windows 10 keyboard, they do not work. Instead a dropdown menu window pops up or the software I am using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MiaT1, Feb 7, 2021.

1. MiaT1 Win User

Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions

When I hit a brightness or volume key on my Windows 10 keyboard, they do not work. Instead a dropdown menu window pops up or the software I am using goes completely full-screen and I can't get out of it even with the esc button which also opens a different pop-up window. If it helps, this happened a few months ago and I haven't really cared to fix it until now. I'm wondering if it happened with an update. It isn't urgent, but I'd love to be able to use these functions without going into settings every time to manually adjust them. Anything helps! Thanks ;

:)

MiaT1, Feb 7, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

Hi, There's a the slider for brightness at the bottom of the Action Centre (build 1903).

If you'd be prepared to consider an alternative... how about smooth control of brightness using your scroll wheel?
    Press a key, plus scroll, and adjust your brightness.

The key and the steps are your choice.

Oh, and it can adjust volume similarly.

Works nicely on my Lenovo Thinkpad, where the Fn key steps for brightness are a bit harsh.

Volumouse (free):
    Volumouse - control the sound volume with a wheel mouse

dalchina, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Need a shortcut key for Volume & Brightness Windows 10

Hi,

Adjustment in volume and brightness depends on the specific computer model or keyboard you are using.
    To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Are those function keys working before?
    • Are you using a laptop keyboard or external keyboard?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check and read this article:
    Keyboard shortcuts in Windows
    . It will provide you more combinations of keys that provide an alternative way to do something that you’d typically do with a mouse.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions

automatic brightness in Microsoft Lumia 950XL

The red light is for the face / iris sensor. To know more about Windows Hello and Privacy, you can refer on this

link

For the brightness issue that you're experiencing, we suggest that you follow the steps given below:

• Turn Off Automatically adjust display
      brightness.

• Perform a soft reset to refresh your device. Press and hold Volume Down+Power
      button until phone vibrates and restarts.
    • Turn On Automatically adjust display brightness again.

If issue still persist, your device light sensor maybe malfunctioning and may require repair/replacement.

Update us on the result.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions

1. Volume and Brightness Key Malfunctions - Similar Threads - Volume Brightness Key

2. My Laptop brightness is malfunctioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop brightness is malfunctioning.: Good day, My PC have working great but just 3 days ago when I turned on my PC to work and my PC started misbehaving.ISSUE: Whenever I am using my PC the brightness increases by itself, and the most annoying part is the brightness slider both on the window notification box and...
  3. My Laptop brightness is malfunctioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Laptop brightness is malfunctioning.: Good day, My PC have working great but just 3 days ago when I turned on my PC to work and my PC started misbehaving.ISSUE: Whenever I am using my PC the brightness increases by itself, and the most annoying part is the brightness slider both on the window notification box and...
  4. My Laptop brightness is malfunctioning.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. volume adjustment malfunction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    volume adjustment malfunction: My computer's volume adjustment malfunctionAfter a update at end of ferburay my volume adjustment malfuntion, no matter how i move it the sound is fixed.windows 11 homeversion 21h2 22000.527realtek sound alc 887MSI GTX 1660 superI tried: switch Windows Audio and Windows Audio...
  6. volume adjustment malfunction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    volume adjustment malfunction: My computer's volume adjustment malfunctionAfter a update at end of ferburay my volume adjustment malfuntion, no matter how i move it the sound is fixed.windows 11 homeversion 21h2 22000.527realtek sound alc 887MSI GTX 1660 superI tried: switch Windows Audio and Windows Audio...
  7. Volume + brightness keys aren't working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume + brightness keys aren't working: Yesterday, I found that my volume and brightness keys no longer work. One of the brightness keys changes my window to full screen and the other pulls up the inspect tab. My mute button takes me to a google chrome help screen, my increase volume button opens a search bar of...
  8. Volume and Brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and Brightness keys not working: I just recently got this laptop around the Holidays. I noticed a few problems with this laptop, my brightness and volume F-keys weren't working, my screen kept on exiting out to home screen, and my cursor wasn't working at times. Then, I restarted my laptop and everything...
  9. Volume and brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and brightness keys not working: Hi, I hope someone can help. I've only recently noticed that my sound and brightness keys/buttons don't work as they should, regardless of whether or not the function button is pressed. I am using Windows 10 Home on my very basic Lenovo laptop which is roughly 1-2 years...
  10. Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adjust volume and brightness WITHOUT FN key?: Hi all, I’m coming from Apple, and now own an Alienware M15 R2 with windows 10. I’m wondering if there is a way to use ONLY the individual brightness control keys and volume control keys to adjust without having to hold “fn” at the same time? Thanks! submitted by...