Windows 10: Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100

Discus and support Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This issue has been brought up before in different light of drivers or audio enhancements, but I'm almost certain that this issue relates to the recent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Jones___, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100

This issue has been brought up before in different light of drivers or audio enhancements, but I'm almost certain that this issue relates to the recent Windows 10 20H1/H2 releases.

If I change any web browser's volume slider within Volume Mixer, the value is reset to 100% of the master volume after I close and re-open the web browser.

i.e., I change Chrome to a volume of 8 out of 100. Close and re-open Chrome, the volume is back to 100 inside Volume Mixer.

I have all audio enhancements off, unchecked "Allow programs to take exclusive control of this device", ensured "Do Nothing" is checked off in the Communications tab, and ensured that all my audio drivers are up to date.

I've found that the Registry Key which stores the Volume Mixer application specific values is as follows, with each subkey being an application on your computer.

"Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\"

After the Windows 20H1/H2 update, web browsers seemingly no longer store registry entries in this place.

If you want a GUI representation of what's stored in that Registry key, AppAudioConfig from Nirsoft is built for just that. You can see for yourself that Chrome.exe, Edge (msedge.exe), or other browsers do NOT appear in it's list now. The list is read directly from the aforementioned Registry key. (However, web browsers did appear here in prior Windows versions, chrome.exe is even shown in Nirsoft's own screenshots in the above link)

https://ibb.co/9nSbbck - You can see in this screenshot that I have Chrome and Edge open, both playing music, but they do NOT appear in AppAudioConfig's application list, which again is read directly from the Registry key

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/appaudioconfig-x64.zip - Download Link for AppAudioConfig (74KB)

The Windows 20H1/H2 updates are the first two releases of Windows that do NOT contain Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge (old edge), but rather include the NEW Chromium based Edge.

I believe that the removal of Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge has broken a link within the Registry that stores the Volume Mixer's application specific preferences, and now you cannot not set a persistent volume level for your web browser.

I apologize for the probably terrible formatting, but can anyone else confirm that their Volume Mixer levels for web browsers won't persist after the recent Windows 20H1/H2 update?

submitted by /u/Jones___
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Jones___, Nov 16, 2020

2. volume mixer in taskbar in WIndows 10

Hi Caroline,

The requirement of pinning Volume mixer to the taskbar is currently not available in Windows 10. However, you can view Volume mixer from the volume control icon located in the system tray.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Are you not able to see volume icon or the volume mixer on the computer?

• If volume icon, have you enabled the option to show in the system tray?

If you want to view Volume mixer on the PC and have enabled volume icon on the system tray, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Right click on the volume icon and select
      Open Volume Mixer
      from the context menu.

• Check if the window is accessible on the computer.

Note: The option to pin Volume mixer to the taskbar is not currently available on the computer.

Write to us with the status of pinning Volume mixer on taskbar in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Default app volume in Volume mixer.

By default, Groove music is too loud, so I turn to the Volume mixer and set its volume to 1%. But when I close Groove window and launch it again, it again becomes 100% in the Volume mixer, so I need to change it every time. Can I solve this problem?

supernova_, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100

Volume mixer issues since new update for windows 10

Ever since I got a new Windows 10 Home update my volume mixer has been resetting the volume of programs I close and then reopen to the maximum. Which kind of defeats the purpose of a volume mixer to be honest.

The biggest problem with this is that I use my web browser to listen to music, and even though my web browser saves the volume level it is still way too high that it is on the verge of giving me ear damage every time I restart my web browser

JamesRaleigh1, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100

1. Volume Mixer Resets All Web Browsers' Volumes to 100 - Similar Threads - Volume Mixer Resets

2. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  3. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  4. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Volume Mixer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Volume Mixer: Why does "Host Process for Windows Services" randomly show up in my volume mixer and when I go to try and find it in the Task Manager it does not show up, do I have malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-mixer/0d2a473e-1770-4633-9b09-5703b09f05fd
  6. Volume Mixer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Mixer: Why does "Host Process for Windows Services" randomly show up in my volume mixer and when I go to try and find it in the Task Manager it does not show up, do I have malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-mixer/0d2a473e-1770-4633-9b09-5703b09f05fd
  7. Volume Mixer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows volume mixer keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows volume mixer keeps resetting: i had bought 3 gaming laptops before including this one. but 2 of them had no problem with volume mixer. now my current laptop legion 5 pro always resets the volume mixer to max EVERYTIME I CLOSE AN APP. now ive upgraded to windows 11 yet the problem remains. i also have...
  9. volume mixer resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume mixer resetting: I change my volume mixer settings to my preferences, however, when I turn off my computer and turn it back on again they reset to some random sound settings I never changed them to....
  10. Is there an easy way to reset the Volume Mixer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there an easy way to reset the Volume Mixer?: Everything appears to be a really low volume for some reason. submitted by /u/Ritalio [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghcryq/is_there_an_easy_way_to_reset_the_volume_mixer/