Windows 10: Volume/mute keys on keyboard not working

Discus and support Volume/mute keys on keyboard not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The volume and mute keys on my keyboard are not working. However, I know it's not the keys themselves that are broken, because the F1-F3 functions work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Caitlin_W, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Caitlin_W Win User

Volume/mute keys on keyboard not working

The volume and mute keys on my keyboard are not working. However, I know it's not the keys themselves that are broken, because the F1-F3 functions work perfectly fine.

The interesting thing is that they work when I have the command prompt running as an administrator and I'm on that window. Otherwise, they don't seem to be affecting the volume levels at all.

I tried running the keyboard troubleshooter and updating my drivers, neither worked. I have a Lenovo Ideapad 720-13ARR on Windows 10 2004.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :

:)

Caitlin_W, Aug 26, 2020

2. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Keyboard Media/Volume keys not working, only on this computer, and only this keyboard

The media keys, volume knob, sleep button and mute button on my "Das Keyboard 4 Professional" keyboard stopped working a few weeks ago after a reboot that I think was caused by a Windows Update.

I've tried the following steps to try and solve the issue:

• Try a different keyboard - The media keys on a logitech wireless usb keyboard work fine, even in the same USB port.
    • Try keyboard with another PC - When plugged in to my laptop the Das Keyboard media/volume keys work fine.
    • Try another USB port - No difference
    • Tried completely wiping any trace of the keyboard from the registry/device manager, then plugging it in again - No difference.
    • Created a new user on the PC - No difference.
    • Ensured the HID Human Interface Service is running.
    • Disable touch keyboard and related services.

What could be causing this?

Simon Moles, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Jstn7477 Win User

Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

Yep, I can't use the volume dial on my keyboard or mute the audio while in Skyrim either. *Frown Volume/mute keys on keyboard not working :(

Jstn7477, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Volume/mute keys on keyboard not working - Similar Threads - Volume mute keys

2. volume keys on new keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    volume keys on new keyboard not working: volume keys on new keyboard not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-keys-on-new-keyboard-not-working/f0dca3da-b2a1-4d26-8ff5-3f23481205b5
  3. volume keys on new keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    volume keys on new keyboard not working: volume keys on new keyboard not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-keys-on-new-keyboard-not-working/f0dca3da-b2a1-4d26-8ff5-3f23481205b5
  4. volume keys on new keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard volume keys not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard volume keys not working: The usb keyboard volume controls mute, volume controls, skip, etc for my windows 11 desktop have not been working since I got it. I did a bit of research and tried moving the port, updating the drivers, and turning HIDS to automatic. None of those worked and I'm out of ideas....
  6. Keyboard volume keys not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard volume keys not working: The usb keyboard volume controls mute, volume controls, skip, etc for my windows 11 desktop have not been working since I got it. I did a bit of research and tried moving the port, updating the drivers, and turning HIDS to automatic. None of those worked and I'm out of ideas....
  7. Mute Button and Volume Scroll Wheel on Keyboard work, but don't actually change the volume

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mute Button and Volume Scroll Wheel on Keyboard work, but don't actually change the volume: When I use either the mute button or volume scroll on my keyboard, they change the volume on the overlay, but that volume isn't linked to the actual volume of Windows. I can manually change the volume by clicking on the sound icon and moving my mouse, but I'd like to have...
  8. Enter key muting volume

Enter key muting volume: whenever i press the enter key, while it does what it's supposed to do, it will also mute the computer volume. the keyboard i use is a logitech G213 if i could have some way to stop this, i'd appreciate it....
  9. volume mute not working

volume mute not working: When i press the mute volume button on my keyboard, it doesnt mute the volume on my computer. the button isnt the problem though. when i press it, the volume thing pops up in the top left, and shows an x in place of the number thats usually how loud the volume is, so it...
  10. keyboard volume keys stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard volume keys stopped working: After latest update computer was not running correctly and had to reset it back to before the update, anyway, somewhere in the mix, my F9 & F10 (volume down and volume up) keys quit working. I push and nothing. I have to go click on the volume icon in the icon tray to change...