Windows 10: Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop

Discus and support Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (I can't find the model number), and have Windows 10 installed on it. Earlier today, I opened the inside of my laptop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Super Nunb, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (I can't find the model number), and have Windows 10 installed on it. Earlier today, I opened the inside of my laptop to plug my solid state drive back in, due to a boot device error that I've had to deal with before and have fixed. It turned back on fine afterwards except that now the volume dialog is permanently onscreen and stuck on zero, even when I'm not touching anything. If I try to turn the volume up, I can tell it's trying to go up like I want it to, but then it goes right back down and mutes itself, as though the Volume Down key is stuck down. I'm guessing this is due to me messing something up inside the laptop earlier. I've also tried restarting the laptop, turning the volume up manually in Settings, and reinstalling drivers. None of it has worked. My guess is that it's something with either the sound card or the volume down key itself.

If anyone has an idea as to how to fix this, I would be most grateful, as I use the speakers on my laptop a lot. Thanks!

Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop a41d295e-76f0-4dca-8019-60dcbba2ae2d?upload=true.png

:)

Super Nunb, Sep 26, 2019
  2. llinfeng Win User

Windows 10 Volume Mixer fails to keep System Sounds muted over Remote Desktop Connection

The problem:

after having muted the System Sounds on the remote desktop machine, it shall unmute itself after several seconds. This pattern is persistent.

The physical setting:

I use my laptop at work, and use Remote Desktop Connection to access my desktop machine left in my apartment.

The software setting:

I have enabled Remote audio through the Remote Desktop Connection, and chose Remote audio playback --> Play on this computer. Thus, I get audio streaming on my laptop at work.

My attempt:

I have tried to find a way to mute System Volumes through a shortcut, and the following pages appears to be helpful:

1. HowToGeek suggested to create a shortcut with the following executable command:

“C:\Path\To\nircmd.exe” mutesysvolume 2
    2. The same source also points me to the shortcut for opening the Volume Mixer. %SystemRoot%\System32\SndVol.exe. Yet, I failed to find a stable way to mute System Sounds through AutoHotKey.

The problem for the suggested approach is that, on Windows 10, nircmd.exe no longer take the option "mutesysvolume 2" as designed. Instead of toggling the System Volumes, it is toggling the Device Volume. This is different from what the specs have suggested: NirCmd - Windows command line tool

llinfeng, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Tendows Win User
    Volume Mixer not showing muted app

The application was muted on Windows 10 with November update. Now I am using Anniversary update, on build 14393.10

The initial step did not help make Banished show up in the Volume Mixer, nor did the article.

Tendows, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop

How can i get the volume mixer sound for a particular game if it's muted from volume mixer

OT- Sound Issues

Since programs are only listed in volume mixer if they are "making sound", and you mute it from volume mixer, how can you get it back as listed on volume mixer because if it's muted from volume mixer then it won't make sound for volume mixer to identify
    therefore you can never get it back, but I need volume for the game I'm playing. Is there a way to get it to reappear even though it's permanently muted? I've been searching for an answer but it's all saying to make the program make noise so it registers,
    but it's muted from volume mixer, so how do I get it to make noise??

SummerMarceaux, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop

1. Volume permanently muted after taking apart laptop - Similar Threads - Volume permanently muted

2. Headset microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds: I have recently purchased a Sennheiser GSP 300 headset with in-build microphone. However, when I try using the microphone on my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad E590 with fully up-to-date Windown 10 in various programmes Discord, Zoom, the mic works all right at the beginning, but then...
  3. Headphone microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds

Headphone microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds: I have recently purchased a Sennheiser GSP 300 headphone with a in-build microphone. However, when I try using the microphone on my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad E590 with fully up-to-date Windown 10 in various programmes Discord, Zoom, the mic works all right at the beginning, but...
  4. Headphone microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds: I have recently purchased a Sennheiser GSP 300 headphone with a in-build microphone. However, when I try using the microphone on my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad E590 with fully up-to-date Windown 10 in various programmes Discord, Zoom, the mic works all right at the beginning, but...
  5. Headphone microphone mutes itself permanently after a few seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Volume Full or Mute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Full or Mute: Issue is volume by pressing buttons moving it up or down or dragging to change it- when it is above 0 anywhere to 100 - the actual volume coming out is exactly the same. When it is 0/mute, nothing comes out. So volume bar doesn't control or influence the actual volume, bar on...
  7. Volume Full or Mute

Volume Full or Mute: Issue is volume by pressing buttons moving it up or down or dragging to change it- when it is above 0 anywhere to 100 - the actual volume coming out is exactly the same. When it is 0/mute, nothing comes out. So volume bar doesn't control or influence the actual volume, bar on...
  8. Windows 10 - Issue with permanent sound muting when volume is lowered repeatedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - Issue with permanent sound muting when volume is lowered repeatedly: I'm having an issue in Windows 10 where the sound volume becomes permanently muted if I press the "lower volume" button repeatedly on my logitech keyboard. No matter what I do, the sound will not turn back on with either the keyboard or direct Windows 10 controls. It stays...
  9. volume mute not working

volume mute not working: When i press the mute volume button on my keyboard, it doesnt mute the volume on my computer. the button isnt the problem though. when i press it, the volume thing pops up in the top left, and shows an x in place of the number thats usually how loud the volume is, so it...
  10. Taking computer apart

Taking computer apart: i cant figure out how to take the back off my laptop. i cant find a single article or manual on my specific model on how to take it apart. Im just replacing the hard drive and cant figure out how to get the back panel off. i have an hp pavilion model number 15-cs0064st. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0xa00f429d microphone muted