Windows 10: Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Discus and support Volume Shadow Copy Service error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've a list of errors in Event Viewer than I'm trying to deal with one-by-one. This one is Event 8194, VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service error:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by riqrat, Jul 15, 2017.

1. riqrat Win User

Volume Shadow Copy Service error

I've a list of errors in Event Viewer than I'm trying to deal with one-by-one.

This one is Event 8194, VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. Operation: Gathering Writer DataContext: Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220} Writer Name: System Writer Writer Instance ID: {05e2633c-95d4-422f-a153-d2152f7fba98}

============

I've scoured the web (which I normally do before posting here) and every site refers to Windows servers. As I'm using Windows 10, their steps/directions don't match my OS and I'm left dumbfounded.

If this is a 'server' item, why am I having to deal with it on Win10?

And what in the world is it telling me here?

TIA

:)

riqrat, Jul 15, 2017
  2. Marc0523 Win User

VSS Problems in Windows 10

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin add shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=1.5GB

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Error: Invalid command.

---- Commands Supported ----

Delete Shadows - Delete volume shadow copies

List Providers - List registered volume shadow copy providers

List Shadows - List existing volume shadow copies

List ShadowStorage - List volume shadow copy storage associations

List Volumes - List volumes eligible for shadow copies

List Writers - List subscribed volume shadow copy writers

Resize ShadowStorage - Resize a volume shadow copy storage association

C:\Windows\system32>

Windows version 1703 FYI.

Marc0523, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Windows Image Backup Recovery

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category

Error 1/21/2018 1:25:59 PM VSS 12291 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error on creating/using the COM+ Writers publisher interface: BackupShutdown [0x80042302, A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.

Check the Application event log for more information.

]. "

Error 1/21/2018 1:25:59 PM VSS 8193 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IMultiInterfaceEventControl::GetSubscriptions. hr = 0x80010108, The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

. "

Error 1/16/2018 10:28:51 PM VSS 8193 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW. hr = 0x80070006, The handle is invalid.

Operation:

Executing Asynchronous Operation
    Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet"

Error 1/16/2018 5:40:45 AM VSS 8193 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW. hr = 0x80070006, The handle is invalid.

Operation:

Context:

Error 1/16/2018 4:32:47 AM VSS 8193 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW. hr = 0x80070006, The handle is invalid.

Operation:

Context:

Error 1/9/2018 12:53:15 AM VSS 8193 None "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW. hr = 0x80070006, The handle is invalid.

Operation:

Context:

Mark_Carroll, Jul 15, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

EdTittel, Jul 16, 2017
  5. riqrat Win User
    riqrat, Jul 17, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    VSS is used amongst other things to allow the creation of restore points (on windows client editions too - not just server). It is also used to make snapshots that are used by backup and imaging programs. This is so you can backup the system in a consistent state while you carry on using it.

If you install Macrium Reflect Free it has an option to fix VSS errors which is handy as they can be quite fiddly to resolve otherwise.

You can just click on "Other tasks" > "Fix VSS Problems"

Volume Shadow Copy Service error [​IMG]

7. riqrat Win User
    Well that's cool.

I happen to have a paid copy of that application on my system as it is my main backup program.

So I found it right where you showed it. It did something, though I don't know what.

Now I'll just keep an eye on it to see if that error pops up again in the Events Log.

Thanks!

riqrat, Jul 17, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

I can't find exactly what it does. Their documentation only says this

Presumably it is this program that is called under that option. You could ask them if you were interested - I only use free version so I can't access their support.

That is the best idea. I had a quick look for IVssWriterCallback errors as you mentioned in first post. It seems they could be fixed by uninstalling McAfee or changing the langauge of non Unicode programs to english as well as the more obvious changing permissions which the error seems to suggest. No clear pattern anyway.

If it doesn't fix the error there is lots of information and suggestions here
    Troubleshooting Microsoft VSS errors - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Macrium (which uses VSS) will fail and report the VSS error if it is important to it. If the backup works then the specific error is not important. Note VSS is only used for the backup stage - not the restore - so if the backup doesn't stop with an error you are OK.

9. EdTittel Win User
    Echo/confirm what Lx07 said -- namely that VSS is a service that runs on all modern versions of Windows, starting with Vista forward. The funny thing about TechNet is that while you can find all kinds of useful documentation, they don't always tell you that some things work on both Windows Server and Desktop OSes. VSS is one of those, as you're finding out. Do please let us know if the Macrium fix-it helps your situation: as a loyal user of the free version, this is something that would be good to know! Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Volume Shadow Copy Service error - Similar Threads - Volume Shadow Copy

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]: [IMG]When the Volume Shadow Copy Service is not working on your Windows computer, you may encounter different types of error messages. VSS is a crucial component of the Windows operating system that allows users to create backups and restore previous versions of files....
  3. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  4. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  5. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  8. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  10. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Event ID 8193 VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW. hr = 0x80070006 The handle is invalid. . Operation: Executing Asynchronous Operation Context: Current State: DoSnapshotSet

2. volume shadow copy service error: unexpected error calling routine queryfullprocessimagenamew. hr = 0x80070006 the handle is invalid..operation: executing asynchronous operationcontext: current state: dosnapshotset

3. 0x80070006 handle invalid vss

4. failed to create a shadow copy of volume c:\.error 0x80010108: the object invoked has disconnected from its clients.,
  5. VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. ,
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The shadow copy writer could not communicate with the Shadow Copy publisher.,
  7. server 2016 The shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit. – Event ID 36,
  8. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error while calling GetStorageDependencyInformation. hr = 0x8007048f The device is not connected.,
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IMultiInterfaceEventControl::GetSubscriptions. hr = 0x80010108 The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.