Windows 10: Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

Discus and support Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just discovered that none of my computers have the Volume Shadow Copy service running and none have the startup set to automatic. I have always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cbarnhorst, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

I just discovered that none of my computers have the Volume Shadow Copy service running and none have the startup set to automatic. I have always assumed that this service should start at boot time. I have started the service on all the computers and set the startup to automatic. Shouldn't that have been the state set by the installer? The manner of installation doesn't seem to be a factor because some of the computers were upgraded via GWX and some were upgraded and then clean installed afterward. I have reported this via the Feedback app. Anyone else see this? Is this intended behavior? Is so, why?

:)

Cbarnhorst, Aug 28, 2015

2. Cannot Create a Restore Point Error 0x8004232c - Windows 10

Could my inability to create a restore point be due to either the Volume Shadow Copy service or the Virtual Disk service being either stopped or set to manual in the services settings?

After posting my problem, I noticed the following in another post regarding Volume Shadow Copy whatever that is. When going through the following solution steps in that other post to check it out, I noticed there is also a Virtual Disk Service that is set
    to "Manual" in my settings.

The MS suggested solution in the Volume Shadow post was: "Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1.Press Windows key + R on the keyboard, type services.msc and press Enter.

2.Search for Volume Shadow Copy service in the window and double click on it.

3.Check whether the Startup type is set to Automatic. If it is not, set it to Automatic and restart your PC.

4.Check if the Volume Shadow Copy service restarts automatically on reboot (since the Startup type is set to Automatic).

5.Also check if the status shows Running under Status column in the Volume Shadow Copy service."

Smoothieusa, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Installed new hard drive, reinstalled windows, now "No file history was found"

Ciao, please try the following and let us know the outcome. Method 1: Check the Volume Shadow Copy Service. Check the Volume shadow copy service in services window. To check follow these steps: 1. Type “Services” in the search box. 2. Right Click on Services
    and “Run it as an Administrator”. 3. Check for “Volume Shadow Copy” Service. 4. Set the status to “Started” and Startup type to “Automatic”. Also check the dependency services that are required for Volume Shadows Copy Service to run. To check that double click
    on the service and click on the Dependency tab. If the issue persists, you may try disabling the antivirus program on the computer to check if it helps. Method 2: Disable security software on the system. Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if
    you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved. Ciao and thanks Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Aug 28, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

The Volume Shadow Copy service doesn't need to be running all the time or set to Automatic.

It's only used when an app requests it, e.g. a backup app.

There is no reason to have it set to anything but Manual.

5. What if you get a message from your backup That "windows could not start the volume shadow copy service due to a logon failure". I check and VSC was set to manual. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Gator5000e, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

1. Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation - Similar Threads - Volume Shadow Copy

2. What is Kaspersky Volume Shadow Copy Service Bridge on my PC?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Kaspersky Volume Shadow Copy Service Bridge on my PC?: [ATTACH]Users of Kaspersky Anti-virus have reported the presence of a process named vssbridge64.exe as part of their package. The AO Kaspersky Lab said that the process is a part of the Anti-virus. It is known as the Kaspersky Volume Shadow Copy Service Bridge and in this...
  3. Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error 0x80042302

in Windows 10 News
    Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error 0x80042302: System Restore allows PC users to restore the OS image to an earlier functioning state. The Restore operation is very easy and doesn’t involve technicalities. However, in some cases, you may receive the error code 0x80042302 when you try to perform a system restore on your...
  4. Trying to fix: "Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed" 0x80700A1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to fix: "Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed" 0x80700A1: Win 10 Pro x64 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Now it's failing. Yesterday before that, I swapped in a new nonsystem backup HDD that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive...
  5. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  6. Each reboot MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy do not "START"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Each reboot MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy do not "START": Since some recent updates by MS including the massive Win 10 next generation, after each reboot MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy do not "START". When I check them in services.msc, they are usually in Startup Type set to Automatic (not manual or...
  7. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?: Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable it, because I'm aware that will delete my restore points, which I definitly don't want to do. Can I just stop the service...
  8. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error: Tried to create a Restore Point today and received the following error: "The Restore Point Could Not be Created for the following reason: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information....
  9. A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1): Hello awesome people of this forum! I need help. I have experienced a (fatal) error in attempting to backup my Windows box via System Image. I cannot seem to figure out the problem, and I was hoping someone may know more in trying to fix this and I would like to learn....
  10. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: I've a list of errors in Event Viewer than I'm trying to deal with one-by-one. This one is Event 8194, VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.. This is often caused by...