Windows 10: Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

Discus and support Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just discovered that none of my computers have the Volume Shadow Copy service running and none have the startup set to automatic. I have always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cbarnhorst, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

I just discovered that none of my computers have the Volume Shadow Copy service running and none have the startup set to automatic. I have always assumed that this service should start at boot time. I have started the service on all the computers and set the startup to automatic. Shouldn't that have been the state set by the installer? The manner of installation doesn't seem to be a factor because some of the computers were upgraded via GWX and some were upgraded and then clean installed afterward. I have reported this via the Feedback app. Anyone else see this? Is this intended behavior? Is so, why?

:)

Cbarnhorst, Aug 28, 2015

2. Cannot Create a Restore Point Error 0x8004232c - Windows 10

Could my inability to create a restore point be due to either the Volume Shadow Copy service or the Virtual Disk service being either stopped or set to manual in the services settings?

After posting my problem, I noticed the following in another post regarding Volume Shadow Copy whatever that is. When going through the following solution steps in that other post to check it out, I noticed there is also a Virtual Disk Service that is set
    to "Manual" in my settings.

The MS suggested solution in the Volume Shadow post was: "Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1.Press Windows key + R on the keyboard, type services.msc and press Enter.

2.Search for Volume Shadow Copy service in the window and double click on it.

3.Check whether the Startup type is set to Automatic. If it is not, set it to Automatic and restart your PC.

4.Check if the Volume Shadow Copy service restarts automatically on reboot (since the Startup type is set to Automatic).

5.Also check if the status shows Running under Status column in the Volume Shadow Copy service."

Smoothieusa, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Installed new hard drive, reinstalled windows, now "No file history was found"

Ciao, please try the following and let us know the outcome. Method 1: Check the Volume Shadow Copy Service. Check the Volume shadow copy service in services window. To check follow these steps: 1. Type “Services” in the search box. 2. Right Click on Services
    and “Run it as an Administrator”. 3. Check for “Volume Shadow Copy” Service. 4. Set the status to “Started” and Startup type to “Automatic”. Also check the dependency services that are required for Volume Shadows Copy Service to run. To check that double click
    on the service and click on the Dependency tab. If the issue persists, you may try disabling the antivirus program on the computer to check if it helps. Method 2: Disable security software on the system. Disable Antivirus and security-related products, if
    you have any Antivirus installed for (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus, try again to update and check if issue is resolved. Ciao and thanks Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Aug 28, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

The Volume Shadow Copy service doesn't need to be running all the time or set to Automatic.

It's only used when an app requests it, e.g. a backup app.

There is no reason to have it set to anything but Manual.

5. What if you get a message from your backup That "windows could not start the volume shadow copy service due to a logon failure". I check and VSC was set to manual. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Gator5000e, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation

1. Volume Shadow Copy service not set to automatic start on installation - Similar Threads - Volume Shadow Copy

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Volume Shadow Copy Service not working [Fix]: [IMG]When the Volume Shadow Copy Service is not working on your Windows computer, you may encounter different types of error messages. VSS is a crucial component of the Windows operating system that allows users to create backups and restore previous versions of files....
  3. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  4. Volume shadow copy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume shadow copy error: Event viewer error.Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSidS-1-5-21-442981339-3756801702-44240739-1001.bak hr=0x80070359.The security structure is invalid.Any clues, please?...
  5. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  8. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  9. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: I've a list of errors in Event Viewer than I'm trying to deal with one-by-one. This one is Event 8194, VSS Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.. This is often caused by...