Windows 10: VPN Connection Issues

Discus and support VPN Connection Issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have an old Dell PowerEdge R610 that was sitting collecting dust, so I decided to use it a VPN. I have everything set up to where I can connect to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SamFortney, Apr 23, 2020.

1. VPN Connection Issues

So I have an old Dell PowerEdge R610 that was sitting collecting dust, so I decided to use it a VPN. I have everything set up to where I can connect to it from my laptop, but I have a couple of issues. The first issue is that the connection is slow. Without being connected to the VPN, I get around 90 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload. While connected to the VPN though, I only get 20 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. Is there something I'm doing wrong or something I don't understand? I tried talking to a support representative but they told me to go to the forums because they can't support VPNs since they involve coding. So I just wanted to make clear that I made the VPN through the VPN settings in the control panel. The second issue is that the VPN doesn't hide my IP. I'm wanting to hide my IP to protect myself, but when I look into it, my IP is still able to be seen. I don't know if I set something up wrong, but those are my two issues. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm wanting to use the server for extra storage since I have 4TB of storage on it. Would I be able to connect to the server to access the storage through the VPN?

:)

SamFortney, Apr 23, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Apr 23, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin VPN Connection Issues :D

P4-630, Apr 23, 2020
  4. aj99000 Win User

VPN Connection Issues

No Internet Connection When VPN Is Connected

This particular issue has been going on for almost a month now. My companies IT department is still trying to figure out the root cause. Below is a list of isolation / troubleshooting i've done.

Issue: Once connected to the work VPN (successfully) the internet connection on the Windows 10 machine disconnects and does not allow any network traffic.

OS: Windows 10 Home - Version: 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)

Computer: Razor Blade 2019

- Latest drivers installed

- Latest Windows updates installed

- System Wide issue

Troubleshooting / Isolation

• Cellular Data: Verified the Windows machine can connect to a hotspot and successfully browse the internet. (No VPN involved)

• Cellular Data + Work VPN: Verified the Windows machine can connect to the hotspot & successfully connect to work VPN and successfully browse the internet.

• Home WiFi: Verified Windows machine can connect to the home wifi network and successfully browse the internet (No VPN involved)

• Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified Windows machine can connect to home WiFi. It can successfully connect to work VPN. However once the work VPN is connected, the home WiFi network indicates (No Internet Access)

• Ping Test + Work VPN: Verified I can successfully ping (work) websites and even the work VPN URL successfully without any packet loss. However once I go to ping (non-work) related addresses like google.com, apple.com etc. there is packet loss.

At this point I decided to test my work VPN on my iPhone & Apple Mac.

• iPhone: Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified the iPhone successfully connects to home WiFi network and the work VPN and can successfully browse the internet.

• Mac: Home WiFi + Work VPN: Verified the Mac successfully connects to home WiFi network and the work VPN and can successfully browse the internet.

Isolated: Only the Windows machine seems to be affected. I even verified this issue occurs on multiple Windows user accounts on the Windows 10 machine.

- Windows 10 is fully updated to the latest November Windows 10 update and issue persists

- Deleted and Added the VPN configuration several times and issue persisted.

Third Party VPN Client Test: Tested with Nord VPN and the Windows machine successfully connected to the home WiFi network & the Nord VPN connection successfully connected to a random server and successfully browsed the internet.

- Disabled IPV6 on VPN & WiFi network configuration (Per IT Support guidance) and issue persisted

*Currently updating to Windows 10 Insider Preview 19033.1 (vb_release) to see if this might fix anything pertaining to Windows 10 VPN.

Thanks for any additional guidance / suggestions / help that the community offers.

aj99000, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

VPN Connection Issues

1. VPN Connection Issues - Similar Threads - VPN Connection Issues

2. VPN Connection issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN Connection issue: I have encountered error while connecting to VPN, earlier we can be able to connect to the VPN but recent OS updates I'm not able to connect it to the VPN.Showing below error"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during...
  3. VPN Connection issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    VPN Connection issue: I have encountered error while connecting to VPN, earlier we can be able to connect to the VPN but recent OS updates I'm not able to connect it to the VPN.Showing below error"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during...
  4. VPN Connection issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?

Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?: We have a number of users that have had recent updates of KB5026372 and this has seemingly stopped their VPNs from connecting loses connection instantly as soon as VPN connected, no more internet access, we use L2TP/IPsec with pre shared key. We have troubleshooted this with...
  6. VPN connection issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN connection issue: I would like to set up a VPN connection accessing the company network while working from home. I have downloaded AT&T Global Network Client for Windows and connect to my wifi network with token successfully. I tried to map L drive of company's file server but continuously...
  7. VPN connection issue

VPN connection issue: I would like to set up a VPN connection accessing the company network while working from home. I have downloaded AT&T Global Network Client for Windows and connect to my wifi network with token successfully. I tried to map L drive of company's file server but continuously...
  8. VPN connection issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. VPN connection issue

VPN connection issue: Hi Team, I am getting the below error while connecting to VPN . Please help . Error message " The L2TP connection attempt is failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer " Help is really...
  10. VPN connection issues

VPN connection issues: Hello Franco. I would like to ask for help on a similar issue, that is, with VPN connection. I Go to te remote connection website, select my region (EMEA), then when i click on my machine name, the office computer, I get a pop up asking if I allow Pulse app (which I do), but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vpn connection closed