Windows 10: VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection

Discus and support VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently followed a tutorial for setting up a VPN connection on Windows 10. I set it up so only a specific username and password could access it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EpicFilmmaker, Sep 14, 2016.

1. VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection

I recently followed a tutorial for setting up a VPN connection on Windows 10. I set it up so only a specific username and password could access it, and I port forwarded it and allowed the port through Windows Firewall. On a different network, I added the VPN connection, signed in, and it connected flawlessly. On my desktop which is hosting the VPN server, the account I created shows up as being connected. I tested the connection by accessing 192.168.1.1 on the remote computer, successfully accessing the control panel for my Netgear router, which is only accessible on the same network as the router. However, when I view the status of the connection on the host computer, it says "IPv4 Not Connected" and I cannot access shared folders on the remote computer (I tried mapping one of my shared folders to the remote computer, only to recieve the message that "Windows cannot access DESKTOP-LJ6M9J0"). This is providing me with a huge headache, as accessing my shared folders and files is my whole purpose for setting up the VPN server. If someone could assist me in this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

:)

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 14, 2016
  2. Gators07 Win User

Windows 10 VPN connects but I can't see anything.

I have set up a network VPN connection on 2 Windows 10 computers and the VPN shows connected on the client and shows incoming connection on the host but I am not able to see anything on the host computer. It shows that the Network folder is empty.

Gators07, Sep 14, 2016
  3. Connect to the Internet through a VPN over an EvDo connection?

Update: Got it to connect to my VPN hosted on my computer, but it always kicks me off as soon as it tries to actually load something. Is there an alternate VPN Client for Windows Mobile?

- 2 Bunny

Channel 2012, Sep 14, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection

Firewall rules on your Gateway need to be rechecked. If you are using the Windows Firewall behind your own Gateway, disable it, since your Gateway is hardened enough with the Linux IPTables rules.

I would suggest using a real VPN client. What VPN Server software are you using and what OS are you using to run that server?

bro67, Sep 15, 2016
  5. I just setup a basic VPN connection within Windows 10. Not exactly sure what you mean by gateway or Linux. None of my computers run Linux

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 15, 2016
  6. For further clarification: every computer involved is running Windows 10, and the VPN server was setup from Control Panel. Windows Firewall has been configured to allow the port through, and the port has been forwarded on the router and confirmed to be open. The remote PC can successfully connect to the host PC and access the network, but it cannot see network devices or shared files and folders.

7. bro67 Win User
    Again you need to update your System Spec's before any further help can be done. Also talking about what it is, is not going to be of any help for anyone trying to assist you with troubleshooting. Fill out your System Spec's, post in response to those items I asked you about. Not some ongoing story about your setup or how it can or cannot connect.

bro67, Sep 15, 2016
  8. VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection

And I'll say again, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. System Specs? Are you asking me to upgrade my computer hardware? To what? I need more information than that. I also did respond to your question: basic Windows VPN and Windows 10.

9. vpnn00b Win User
    I have the same problem. I have a Windows 10 computer set up as a server on a LAN. Remotely I have a Windows 7 machine as a client vpning in.

The vpn is just the Windows 10 default vpn (pptp). I am not using the LAN router as my remote computer's gateway, so the Internet traffic on my remote computer does not go through the VPN.

There are a variety of computers on the LAN. I can successfully ping all of them as well as the LAN router from my remote computer EXCEPT the host. Basically, everything is working great, except I cannot reach the one computer that's being used on the LAN side as the vpn server. Kind of maddening, as it happens to have the files I need access to.

I found this thread that seems to describe the same problem I am having: How to I set the Network Location for an incoming VPN Connection in Windows 8? - Super User

According to the thread, the problem is that the RAS dial-in network connection is public while the LAN is private (and, regardless of whether this is the problem or not, this is the case on my setup as well). However, the thread's fix didn't work for me (i.e. it did not change the RAS dial-in from public to private; don't know if that would solve the problem or not, but still seeing the different network types, same as in the screenshot in that thread).

Here is a Tom's Hardware thread also describing the same problem, with the conclusion that changing the RAS dial-in network status also fixed the problem: Windows VPN Problems Can ping everything but the VPN host. [Solved] - VPN - Networking

Any help is appreciated - thank you. I suspect generic knowledge of vpns alone isn't going to be too helpful here; I think this is a Windows 10 quirk specifically, one that Windows 7 did not suffer from. The vpn is working - it's just got this one issue.

vpnn00b, Sep 15, 2016
  10. vpnn00b Win User
    Hahaha - I'm a fool.

The link I found changing the network from public to private totally worked for me. I just accidentally typed it into my remote machine instead of the Windows 10 server... Too many windows open at the same time I guess and I got confused.

This fixed my problem; I hope it solves yours as well. (After changing the RAS (Dial In) Interface from public to private, I can now ping & access the computer being used as the vpn host.)

vpnn00b, Sep 15, 2016
  11. So, to be clear, do I enter the commands on the VPN Host or the connecting PC?

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 16, 2016
  12. vpnn00b Win User
    Well, first make sure this is your problem (go look at the Network & Sharing Center on the host computer and see if your screen looks like the screenshot in the link - mine did). Then, yes, open powershell on the host computer and copy in the 2 commands from the link. Fixed the problem immediately for me, and changed the network from "public" to "private."

vpnn00b, Sep 16, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Where did I state that you need to upgrade your systems. You need to fill out your System Spec's that you only listed that you have a Pc/Desktop and Windows 10 Pro.

See post #2 and answer those questions. Otherwise there is nothing anyone can do to assist you.

bro67, Sep 16, 2016
  14. Ok, so I turned Windows Firewall off for this, then entered those commands in PowerShell as an Administrator, and now the RAS Dial In is set to Private, but also showing No Network access. I still cannot ping the network, although the remote PC can still connect to the VPN and shows up as connected on the host PC. What did I do wrong?

EpicFilmmaker, Sep 16, 2016
  15. vpnn00b Win User
    You may have a different issue than I did: I was always able to ping the network from my remote client, just not the host. In particular, I could ping the router (192.168.2.1 on my LAN) from my remote client. (Even working my remote client shows "No Internet" on the VPN Connection, so if that's what you mean by No Network access, I think that's a red herring). Also, I never had to mess with the firewall: I had it up on both sides the whole time.

Are you on the same subnet on both sides (client and host)?

vpnn00b, Sep 16, 2016
Thema:

1. VPN connection not recognizing the computer hosting the connection - Similar Threads - VPN connection recognizing

2. VPN CONNECTION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN CONNECTION: I am trying to set up a VPN connection and I am getting this message saying the connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed. How do I solve this?...
  3. VPN Connect

VPN Connect: Hi I am very much a novice when it comes to network config. I am current working on establishing a VPN connection between multiple computers to share files & work data via WAN and I need help with a couple questions So far, I’ve been able to create a PPTP VPN server using...
  4. VPN connection

VPN connection: Hi I have a weird issue using a VPN, for some reason it wont work on my main machine ( version 2004 build 19041.423 ) The things I have tested : At first I thought it was a network issue , so i trued the set up the vpn with the same credentials on my crapy laptop and...
  5. Built In Windows VPN Speed Limit? (Hosting / Connecting)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Built In Windows VPN Speed Limit? (Hosting / Connecting): Hey Guys, My Question is: Is the built in windows vpn (hosting and connecting) limited in speed? I am hosting a VPN on my windows PC (I use it as a server pc). When downloading a file the speed is ~12.3 megabytes per second (Around 100mbps) The Server PC and the Client...
  6. VPN Not Connecting

VPN Not Connecting: My vpn while connecting gives error "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer" This error is mostly faces when user change its internet connection. VPN connect on one...
  7. VPN CONNECTION

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    VPN CONNECTION: i have been asked to connect to the VPN provided by the school to activate my windows. however, the VPN connection keeps saying my password to the username is incorrect despite typing and keying in correctly and i have tried multiple times but i am still unable to do so...
  8. Multiple VPN connections to a hosted server

Multiple VPN connections to a hosted server: Hello All I had a strange one for you this morning, We have demo kits that use a 4g router to transmit data to a software system on a hosted server, my question is using a VPN could we connect multiple 4g routers to 1 hosted system? using the same VPN Client on each...
  9. VPN CONNECTION

VPN CONNECTION: Have setup a network connection in windows 10 to use with a VPN [FREEVPN.ME] but, when I try to connect, it states 'connecting' and does not say 'connected'. Is this a firewall problem? Anyone familiar with FREEVPN.ME?...
  10. connecting to vpn

connecting to vpn: is there any way to connect to a VPN without actually moving to whole another page? 13105