Windows 10: VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update

Discus and support VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a L2TP/IPSet with pre-shared key VPN connectionFoobarVPN that is configured via: Set-VpnConnectionIPsecConfiguration -ConnectionName... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by muellermat, Nov 16, 2020.

1. VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update

I have a L2TP/IPSet with pre-shared key VPN connectionFoobarVPN that is configured via:

Set-VpnConnectionIPsecConfiguration -ConnectionName "FoobarVPN" -EncryptionMethod AES256 -CipherTransformConstants AES256 -IntegrityCheckMethod SHA256 -PfsGroup ECP256 -DHGroup ECP256 -AuthenticationTransformConstants SHA196 -PassThru -Force

Additionaly, the VPN Connection Properties of the adapter are set like here:
    VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update b1afd076-6264-444c-8e84-29f78ceb9403?upload=true.png

Right after installing the 20H2 Windows update this connection stopped working. The error message just tells me
    that the connection can't be established pop ups within 1s and that I should reconfigure my connection. So I deleted the connection and created it again, but the error stays.

Since reverting the 20H2 update via Recovery the connection works fine again.
    Are they any vpn related known issues regarding the 20H2 update or any idea how I can fix it?

:)

muellermat, Nov 16, 2020

2. How to get on internal network to VPN to a client

I am looking for ways besides RDP to have employees connect to my work's internal network at another location so that they can VPN to one of their client's. The VPN connection only works from the internal network as their Sonicwall configuration is setup to allow it through IP's on my work's network.
    Any third-party apps, Windows settings, or other suggestions are welcomed.
    One suggestion by a friend was to use Cendio, an open source Linux remote desktop server.

I have a Windows Server 2016 Standard machine and several Windows 10 Pro machines

JesseTechHelp, Nov 16, 2020
  3. eeps24 Win User
    Best FREE vpn client? Need to connect to my home VPN

I created a remote access VPN (l2tp/ipsec) on my router at my house. If I want to connect to my VPN server remotely ,what do you suggest as a good free vpn client?

I know windows 10 has a built in vpn client, but would I notice any improvments (speed, stability, etc) using like cisco anywhere connect or any other free vpn clients?

eeps24, Nov 16, 2020
  4. VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update

Third-party VPN client stops Internet connectivity in Windows 10

There is an
    issue regarding VPN client in Windows 7
    , and a hotfix for it, but I have met exactly the same problem in Windows 10 with the latest updates at the moment, and that fix doesn’t work for it.

Also, I thoroughly googled the Internet, especially Microsoft websites, in search of a solution, but I didn’t find any. I also didn’t find a way to report the issue directly to MS representatives, only this community.

Can anyone here suggest how to fix the problem, apart from rolling back to Windows 7 and applying the aforementioned hotfix?

8ff559aa-5b91-4ef9-880a-293b14662a9d, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update

1. VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update - Similar Threads - VPN connection via

2. windows explorer stop working after VPN connected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows explorer stop working after VPN connected.: Windows explorer stop working after VPN connected. And edge, music did not response for more than 10 seconds when VPN is connected; but chrome and VLC work as usual. In windows log, there is event 1001 and 1002 log.Here is the windows log: explorer.exe 10.0.22000.466 Windows...
  3. VPN client stopped working after windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN client stopped working after windows 11 upgrade: Hello,We have a few windows laptops that were upgraded to windows 11 about a month or so ago. They have a vpn client connection working when they were on windows 10. After the upgrade, all of then cannot connect anymore. I tried removing the configuration and adding them...
  4. VPN client stopped working after windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN client stopped working after windows 11 upgrade: Hello,We have a few windows laptops that were upgraded to windows 11 about a month or so ago. They have a vpn client connection working when they were on windows 10. After the upgrade, all of then cannot connect anymore. I tried removing the configuration and adding them...
  5. Issue with VPN after 20H2 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with VPN after 20H2 Update: Hey,I have a very complex issue. After upgrading a particular HP model Elitebook G3 from 1909 to 20H2 the VPN Fortinet will no longer connect and appears to fail on the user certificate handshake.Now this issue does not appear on later HP models Elitebook G4 after applying...
  6. Win 10 20H2 Client VPN Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 20H2 Client VPN Issues: Since the weekend we have started experiencing issues with a Win 10 client VPN connection.Everything was working fine up until Saturday, when connectivity to remote VPN applications started to fail.Further investigation shows that the VPN client is no longer sending all...
  7. Software Updates deployment for VPN clients via IBCM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Software Updates deployment for VPN clients via IBCM: We are using IBCM in our environmentnot planning to update to CMG for now and facing Software Update installation issue for VPN clients. However, application installation is fine on VPN clients. I have checked WSUS port settingsthey are fine,Certificates not expired and the...
  8. Windows VPN stopped working via wifi

Windows VPN stopped working via wifi: I have 3 Windows 10 Pro / Business version 1909 that have stopped connecting to VPN when those devices are connected over wifi. When clicking "Connect", it will say "Connecting to ip address" but never connect. We have used the Microsoft built-in VPN client to vpn into a...
  9. trouble connecting to a vpn client

trouble connecting to a vpn client: hi i have pc1 connected to server1 via vpn using remote access. After connecting to the network, pc1 is able to remote desktop to pc 2. I am trying to use pc2 to remote desktop pc1 after pc1 establish the vpn connection but pc2 is not able to ping pc1 at all. Why does...
  10. How to get on internal network to VPN to a client

How to get on internal network to VPN to a client: I am looking for ways besides RDP to have employees connect to my work's internal network at another location so that they can VPN to one of their client's. The VPN connection only works from the internal network as their Sonicwall configuration is setup to allow it through...