Windows 10: VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10

Discus and support VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SPS Sean S, Feb 22, 2021.

1. VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10

Hello!

I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685.

When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably due to the same issue.

Some notes:

• This is not related to my network. This machine has been taken to several different networks, and the issue has persisted on all of them. Moreover, I have configured severalother devices on the SAME network as the Windows 10 machine, all of which can use custom DNS or VPNs with ease.
    • This issue does not persist if I set my DNS to configure automatically.
    • The DNS server I am trying to use is not blocked on my network. Again, I have tried this on several networks so this should not be a concern, but I specifically tested it on other devices and made certain that any and all DNS servers I was attempting to use were in fact not blocked on the network.

Troubleshooting steps already attempted:

• Disabling antivirus Bitdefender
    • Uninstalling antivirus
    • Restarting several times
    • Trying to set custom DNS on WiFi as well as Ethernet adapters internet works on neither when custom DNS is configured
    • Resetting TCP/IP using netshell "netsh int ip reset"
    • Flushing DNS cache using "ipconfig /flushdns"
    • Disabling IPv6
    • Booting into Safe Mode with Networking and attempting to make DNS changes there

Any further information on reasons this might be happening as well as possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10 09862419-b40e-43ec-a068-0639fd50eea3?upload=true.png

:)

SPS Sean S, Feb 22, 2021

2. Windows 10 DNS leak

No, went with a different 3rd party suggestion. Works better. I'm reliant on others for my tech needs that way.

the54thvoid, Feb 22, 2021
  3. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10 [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10 [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Feb 22, 2021
  4. marv Win User

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10

Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Hello,

when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN.

I tried to change network adapters order in ncpa.cpl, but it does not seem to be working. It displays still same order despite of how I change it and confirm with OK.

Checking in regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage\Bind,
    after connecting VPN, one entry gets added on top of the list, I assume that is dialed connection.

Setting DNS servers manually in VPN does not work, I am unable to edit procotol settings in VPN connection.

Anyone have some solution for this ?

Thema:

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10

1. VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10 - Similar Threads - VPN manual DNS

2. KBKB5009543 and KB5009543 break VPN, when resolve from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KBKB5009543 and KB5009543 break VPN, when resolve from Microsoft?: Good morning, I would like to know when an update will come out that fixes the following KB that "breaks" VPN connections: - KB5009543 for Windows 10 - KB5009543 for Windows 11 Thank you....
  3. KBKB5009543 and KB5009543 break VPN, when resolve from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KBKB5009543 and KB5009543 break VPN, when resolve from Microsoft?: Good morning, I would like to know when an update will come out that fixes the following KB that "breaks" VPN connections: - KB5009543 for Windows 10 - KB5009543 for Windows 11 Thank you....
  4. KBKB5009543 and KB5009543 break VPN, when resolve from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity: Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably...
  6. Unable to use manual DNS settings; configuring manual DNS or using a VPN breaks internet

Unable to use manual DNS settings; configuring manual DNS or using a VPN breaks internet: Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably...
  7. Forced to manually set DNS - problem only on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forced to manually set DNS - problem only on Windows 10: I have read about this problem before but I am wondering if there is a solution rather than this workaround. All other devices on the LAN have no problems just my Windows machine, both Wi-fi and ethernet have the same problem. So I had to manually set a DNS, this just...
  8. DNS only VPN for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DNS only VPN for windows 10?: Is there any vpn only for dns? My isp blocked reddit so I want to use 1.1.1.1 but I can't figure it out how to use it on Dial-Up connection (pppoe). I changed dns on ipv4 but doesn't work that way. I tried on my phone using 1.1.1.1 app it worked. If there was an app only for...
  9. After connecting to VPN the internet breaks down

After connecting to VPN the internet breaks down: Hello all, when I connect to my company's VPN fhrough Microsoft, the internet conneciton breaks down. It doesn't matter which router or provider I am connected to. Computer model: DELL System: Windows 10 Home, 10.0.17134 Build 17134 Type of connection: WiFi VPN type:...
  10. Help manual DNS setting having no effect

Help manual DNS setting having no effect: Hi Changing DNS in network settings has no effect and continues to use the router DNS settings. I am using a smart DNS to watch some US tv and I can make it work if I change the router DNS settings but this is not as convenient as using an app like DNS changer on windows....