Windows 10: VPN Questions

Discus and support VPN Questions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The only reason you need a vpn for your use is if you are downloading from sites which you wish to keep secret really. As with anything in life,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VPN Questions

Hi folks

@cereberus et al.

if you are going down that route "Tor Browser" can be very effective if all you need to do is bypass politician's ideas on what sites you are allowed to access.

Personally I think in a short while GEOBLOCKING of content such as Netflix where the subscriber has a legitimate subscription has well passed its sell by date and will soon enough be 100% redundant.

If you really need to do this sort of stuff from a VPN where TOR doesn't offer you what you need just buy a domain in a jurisdiction in the country you want and then you can stream to your heart's content at a decent bandwidth. Domains can cost far less than a VPN subscription -- ok you need to know a little about hosting -- google around -- any more detail here and we are getting into "Murky areas" and probably breaking Forum rules too.

Suffice to say when I'm home I love some of the BBC output on iPlayer -- 'Nuf said. !!!

Cheers
    Jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018

2. I have a chromebook that i solely do web browsing and downloading on. Thus if it gets a virus, i don't think its big deal because someone mentioned chromebook has a powerwash option that wipes everything. Now in my apartment, i have my own wifi connection that i use.

But when i web browse, i use my building's shared wifi. Its wifi that is shared throughout the building for people at this apartment etc.

Now i notice there is a program called setupvpn that is free at the chromestore and has lot of reviews. First off, do most ppl recommend this? I read there are lot of vpns and the ones that are free... well there is limited data etc. Thus 500mb or 1gb isn't going to cut it if someone downloads videos or streams. But are these free vpns good? Is this a good one? I saw its a chrome extension and lot of very good reviews. But i also heard free vpns come with them selling your information to 3rd parties... is that true? But they cannot view what i view using the vpn right?

The other thing is this. If im using a vpn, does that mean if i visit sites that are dangerous, then its still safe to do it on my own internet connection? Thus as long as i connect it via vpn, thats fine? Or better use the shared wifi connection instead that isn't related to my internet?

And if not setupvpn, what vpn would you recommend? Do most of you pay for vpn instead? Or are these free vpn just as good? When i checked the reviews, they have a top list of free vpns but most have data restrictions. But setupvpn doesn't seem to have any? The other thing is when you download files with a vpn, is it slower than not using any vpn? I heard some issues with speeds etc.

:)

paulyjustin, Apr 18, 2018
  3. Question about VPN (?)

china mobile my device sony v9+ new update

The posts you've viewed suggest that you have a question about VPN. Please provide more information about your phone and your question.

Don

Don Varnau, Apr 18, 2018
  4. VPN Questions

larry7---01, Apr 18, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    The only reason you need a vpn for your use is if you are downloading from sites which you wish to keep secret really.

As with anything in life, you only get what you pay for. If a vpn is free, they have an ulterior movive eg bombard you with pay requests. Many free ones might guarantee unlimited downloads but limit the bandwidth effectively capping you. It can be much slower than downloading directly.

There are many quality vpns for a very modest price per month. These are usually very reliable, fast and ad free.

Also a vpn does not in anyway guarantee virus free downloads.

cereberus, Apr 18, 2018
  6. Doc943 Win User
    Opera browser has a free built in VPN. Whether it has the same constrictions or security as my learned friend above states I can't say.

Doc943, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

VPN Questions

1. VPN Questions - Similar Threads - VPN Questions

2. Blue screen when some seconds after VPN connect on W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when some seconds after VPN connect on W11: HelloI'm configuring a new laptop where I have updated everything W11, Drivers with HP assistant, ...I'm trying to install our VPN connection without success, each time I have a blue screen.With Sophos Connect, I have immediatly BSOD after connect with message that computer...
  3. VPN Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN Question: I understand that there is a VPN already installed on Windows 11. How do I access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-question/f8503130-642b-4fcd-bf5d-c4ebf8be470b
  4. VPN Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN Question: I understand that there is a VPN already installed on Windows 11. How do I access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-question/f8503130-642b-4fcd-bf5d-c4ebf8be470b
  5. [QUESTION] Is there a way to Remote Desktop from a VPN connected laptop to home PC on the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [QUESTION] Is there a way to Remote Desktop from a VPN connected laptop to home PC on the...: I work from home on a work laptop running Windows 10 that is VPN-connected to work network. I'm assuming all network traffic goes through the VPN tunnel and out from the work network. I also have my home PC (where I have my personal email and files and so on). What I'd like...
  6. VPN Question - 2 concurrent (different VPN) connections possible ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VPN Question - 2 concurrent (different VPN) connections possible ?: Hi there Any Network Gurus out there know if it's possible to have 2 concurrent VPN connections E.g If using a local VPN (IS) can I connect with another connection such as VPN (UK) --- currently it doesn't work even when using a Virtual Machine -- seems I need 2 computers...
  7. S Mode Question - SSL VPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    S Mode Question - SSL VPN: I am looking to get a small laptop to work from home with, this one. It comes with Windows 10 S Mode... I need to be able to use a SSL VPN to remote into my work machine. This VPN requires Java... Will I be able to use this to VPN/RDP?? submitted by /u/Notrega [link]...
  8. VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions

in Windows 10 Support
    VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions: 1# When I click on the 'network' icon in the system tray it list possible connections (like a VPN), but these seem broken. I cant click on them or right click on them. Nothing happens (left click will bring up the standard VPN page but not connect or as me to connect). Are...
  9. VPN Questions

VPN Questions: Hey guys, I have paid licenses of some vpn companies and I have some questions which is below: 1. If openvpn connected with some country and if I switch user will it be switch off or standby ? 2. Which IP it will be my local ip or connected vpn ip ? OS: Windows...
  10. VPN never connecting (+ question)

VPN never connecting (+ question): I've known I had this problem for months now (at least a year maybe?), but I've never really thought about the importance of not having a VPN - and being ignorant of what it's for for too long, as I'd never even heard of them until relatively recently. My problem is partly...