Windows 10: VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update

Discus and support VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I desperately need data recovery tools that can bypass bitlocker. I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 5000 series with a SSD made by Micron and 512gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sharon Turnoy, Feb 17, 2019.

1. VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update

I desperately need data recovery tools that can bypass bitlocker.

I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 5000 series with a SSD made by Micron and 512gb storage, operating on Windows 10 Home edition. (I7 Intel core, 16 gb RAM.)

Been ghostwriting a book for a client, merrily believing that the OneDrive file list that showed on the left edge of my screen was a view of my OneDrive files in the cloud (what else would it be??). I ignorantly believed all my files were backing up there when I saved them to My PC documents. They showed up on that list and I could click on them and see them.

Surprise!

Microsoft informed me that list that was on my screen is a list of files on my hard drive! (A second set of the same files on my hard drive? One set under My PC and another identical set under OneDrive? Both on the hard drive? Why?)

They were a list of what was to be backed up to the cloud, or so I'm told. Is that right? (When?) But no guarantee they were. In fact, when a Microsoft tech helped me access my files in my OneDrive in the cloud, almost nothing from the last 6 months was there (why 6 months?) except a couple of unimportant Word documents and some photos. My writing of my client's book was NOT there, nor were many other valuable documents.

I thought OneDrive was supposed to back up everything or nothing! How could some things be there but most not be?

BIGGER QUESTION: How does this upsetting OneDrive news pertain to the latest Windows 10 update?

The January Windows 10 update, which downloaded itself automatically, crashed my system. I got the blue screen of death. Subsequently, I found out I had no backup.

Get this: Even though Bitlocker was not available on Windows 10 home edition when I bought the PC, so wasn't something I could enable if I wanted to (and I didn't even know there was such a thing as Bitlocker a year ago), my data on my hard drive couldn't be recovered because...

IT WAS ENCRYPTED BY BITLOCKER!!

How could this happen? No one at Microsoft knew. Maybe Dell did it. Maybe Micron did it.

And was I given a Bitlocker key? Of course not!

How could this happen? I finally found out through research. It seems that Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to give EVERYONE Bitlocker, default enabled status, in one of their updates. Did they distribute keys? Of course not. Did they let us know? Of course not. Did they post the keys in our Microsoft accounts, where (I've learned) they typically belong? Of course not!

Use data recovery tools, right? I took it to experts, and I worked with Microsoft. No data recovery company will accept the job, once they hear "encrypted by bitlocker," except one company who said they'd try, but it would cost between $3 and $10,000 and they couldn't guarantee any results.

So I have a hard drive with bitlocker-encrypted data (that I can't recover) worth $10k (the advance on the book I've been writing, which I will have to repay)--all data that wasn't backed up, thanks to OneDrive's eccentricities.

And I've lost 6 weeks of my life trying to find a solution, day and night, with a Microsoft Level 2 tech in Chinnai, India. In those 6 (yes six!) weeks, there has been no progress, except that I now know more about bitlocker and Microsoft's screwed-up practices than I ever wanted to.

Has anyone found data recovery tools or a method to get around bitlocker? Or is there really something else going on?

Remember that I got a blue screen--no booting up, no setting a restore point. Nothing available except the Bios screen. Since then, the encrypted hard drive has been removed, and a new hard drive and fresh version of Windows 10 have been installed.

But I need the data on the old hard drive! I still have it. I wouldn't let Dell take it when they sold me a new hard drive, even though they insisted they had a right to it. (Don't get me started on them!)

Help!

:)

Sharon Turnoy, Feb 17, 2019
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, Feb 17, 2019
  4. VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update

Windows Media Creation Tool.

Any update on this issue. I followed these steps:

• I downloaded the toll for Win 10 Home 64-bit.
    • Run the tool which downloads the image. Took a while, big image, slow connection.
    • The tool verifies the image - presumably with a checksum hash.
    • After the tool verifies, it unpacks the image to prep install or the ISO build.
    • The installer begins and then hangs at between 50% and 60%.
    • After some time (over an hour) the tool closes on its own leaving the USB stick empty or inaccessible.

This seems to be an issue with the tool, not a server issue. I used a 4 gB data traveler USB stick.

VictorS..., Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update

1. VRecovery Tools that WORK??? Valuable data inaccessible after January Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - VRecovery Tools Valuable

2. Windows 10 January update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 January update: Hello, I'm experiencing a recurring problem after Windows January update. Depending on the time, which is completely random, everything may work as normal or delete button is not working and the taskbar isn't working properly. Is there a way to fix it? I'd appreciate all...
  3. no audio after window 10 update january 2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no audio after window 10 update january 2021: yesterday i have updates my window 10 but everytime i update there a new error its like a new update mean u got new error im very disappointed with window 10 after updating my window 10 theres no audio please help...
  4. Data partition inaccessible after Windows 10 Pro 20H2 upgrade

Data partition inaccessible after Windows 10 Pro 20H2 upgrade: The laptop is a Dell E5570 with a Crucial MX300 CT525MX300SSD1, last Wednesday I upgraded Windows 10 Pro to the latest major version 20H2. The upgrade rebooted twice and when it finished - partition D, which was a 312GB NTFS, became RAW. Examining the partition data shows...
  5. Snipping Tool re-enabled after January updates

Snipping Tool re-enabled after January updates: We have Snipping Tool disabled by GPO but after applying the January updates, users are able to launch snipping tool. Why??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snipping-tool-re-enabled-after-january-updates/653cef50-95ec-46f1-aa99-50e0ebb8cdb6
  6. Update to Windows 10 ver. 1903 Deleted Valuable Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to Windows 10 ver. 1903 Deleted Valuable Folder: After installing this update everytime I tried to log into my user profile I was getting an error, after restarting this was fixed. However, many of my personal user settings had changed (default browser, background picture, windows bar colour ect). All my applications were...
  7. Recovery Tools to bypass BITLOCKER?? Can't access valuable data after Jan '19 Windows 10...

Recovery Tools to bypass BITLOCKER?? Can't access valuable data after Jan '19 Windows 10...: I desperately need data recovery tools that can bypass bitlocker. I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 5000 series with a SSD made by Micron and 512gb storage, operating on Windows 10 Home edition. (I7 Intel core, 16 gb RAM.) Been ghostwriting a book for a client, merrily...
  8. January Windows 10 update problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    January Windows 10 update problems: I am one of the people who got BSOD after the January update, It has rendered my computer totally useless, Cannot Restore, Recover, Reset, roll back update, get into Safe Mode, or boot into any Windows whatsoever. This has destroyed my computer and I see other people...
  9. Internet not working after January windows 10 update

Internet not working after January windows 10 update: So after the latest windows 10 update January 12th 2019, my internet has gone completely down. My service provider says it isn't the modem and sounds like it could be the router. I can't connect via ethernet or wifi. I've reset the modem and router several times. My wifi is...
  10. Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved: Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update? Solved - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums Mine Started there in that forum - and I was not Original OP so I agree - should have created a new thread as I was working through it.. Systems I encountered error on Dell T5500 precision...