Windows 10: VS Code terminal won't open; cmd.exe crashes on title bar right-click

Discus and support VS Code terminal won't open; cmd.exe crashes on title bar right-click in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two issues I'm having that are likely related. 1. Visual Studio Code Insiders can't open the terminal. The terminal process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by brdbkr, Feb 21, 2021.

1. brdbkr Win User

VS Code terminal won't open; cmd.exe crashes on title bar right-click

Two issues I'm having that are likely related.

1. Visual Studio Code Insiders can't open the terminal.

The terminal process "C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" failed to launch exit code: 3221225794.

Microsoft's help page says that I should "open cmd.exe from the start menu, right-click the title bar, go to Properties and under the Options tab, uncheck Use legacy console." But when I open cmd.exe...

2. Command Prompt crashes when I right-click the title bar.

Event Viewer tells me:

Faulting application name: conhost.exe, version: 10.0.21318.1000, time stamp: 0x7d21e082
    Faulting module name: gdi32full.dll, version: 10.0.21318.1000, time stamp: 0x244674ca
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000cf11
    Faulting process id: 0x408
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d708d356f54c1f
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\conhost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\gdi32full.dll
    Report Id: 2554af9e-991e-4444-9283-c79460c70f5f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried restarting. I've tried disabling VS Code extensions. I've run [COLOR=rgba133, 98, 0, 1]DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth[/COLOR] and [COLOR=rgba133, 98, 0, 1]sfc /scannow[/COLOR] with no issues found. I'm on Windows 10 Home Insider Preview, OS build 21318.1000.

VS Code Version: 1.54.0-insider user setup
    Commit: 192c817fd350bcbf3caecae22a45ec39bae78516
    Date: 2021-02-19T05:14:28.632Z
    Electron: 11.2.3
    Chrome: 87.0.4280.141
    Node.js: 12.18.3
    V8: 8.7.220.31-electron.0

:)

brdbkr, Feb 21, 2021

2. Trouble with search bar (won´t find data)

Hi Jan,

I Would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1: On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)

Step 2: DISM TOOL

• Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
      and click Enter.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and click Enter.
    For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related issues.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 21, 2021
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Ok...

After update my Windows 10 to 17063.1000 build, skype won´t work...

It open, but if I Start my conversasion with camera, file share or screen share, it crash...

If I try to uninstall anda install again, I give an error...

Any workaround to solve this issue??

*Mad*Mad*Mad*Mad

4. DJC
    djc Win User

Title Bar wont change

Understand that default Title Bar in Windows 10 is white, However when I click on themes (which shows various title
    bar/window borders colors (or Shades) my Title Bar stays completely white. Can anyone understand my questions & have any suggestions?

Thema:

1. VS Code terminal won't open; cmd.exe crashes on title bar right-click - Similar Threads - Code terminal won't

2. Cmd Dosent Open and terminal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cmd Dosent Open and terminal: My Cmd and Terminal Dosent want to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-dosent-open-and-terminal/f120534b-d591-4294-9e3e-97e796a10da1
  3. Cmd Dosent Open and terminal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cmd Dosent Open and terminal: My Cmd and Terminal Dosent want to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-dosent-open-and-terminal/f120534b-d591-4294-9e3e-97e796a10da1
  4. Terminal title bar collapsed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal title bar collapsed: Whenever I open a terminal process, the top bar shows for a few seconds, but then disappears into a tiny bar. This is frustrating because I am unable to even move the window.I've installed PowerShell 7, but this still happens. This also happens on other processes other than...
  5. Terminal title bar collapsed

Terminal title bar collapsed: Whenever I open a terminal process, the top bar shows for a few seconds, but then disappears into a tiny bar. This is frustrating because I am unable to even move the window.I've installed PowerShell 7, but this still happens. This also happens on other processes other than...
  6. "Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared

"Open in Terminal" right click context menu is disappeared: After the latest Windows Update KB5019980, the "Open In Terminal" context menu disappeared from the right click context menu even when I open it in explorer. Not only "Open In Terminal", but other programs like Powershell7, WinRAR and OneDrive also disappeared from there. How...
  7. Vs code terminal glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vs code terminal glitch: i was writing a command while doing work and my terminal glitching what to do. the cursor gets on the top of the path text. You can see the video of the full issue here.https://drive.google.com/file/d/12uTsyxcPHOxlsBWnSaZ0byTSBvqeroMK/view?usp=sharing...
  8. Vs code terminal glitch

Vs code terminal glitch: i was writing a command while doing work and my terminal glitching what to do. the cursor gets on the top of the path text. You can see the video of the full issue here.https://drive.google.com/file/d/12uTsyxcPHOxlsBWnSaZ0byTSBvqeroMK/view?usp=sharing...
  9. Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/elo3l76n3ss81.png?width=590&format=png&auto=webp&s=bc58a0f4d14ae482e61488cf93c9129ecadee2e7 I made some regedit keys to add cmd and linux terminal (WSL) to the context menu. Tutorial: https://youtu.be/_DtOuTVTOu0 Download link:...
  10. Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't right click .exes, explorer crashes.: Hi, I've been having this issue since yesterday. When I try to open the context menu for an executable to, let´s say, launch it as administrator, the cursor appears as loading and the context menu won't appear. I can right-click folders and images, my problem seems to be only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error windows 10 10.0.21318