Windows 10: VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020

Discus and support VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard same chipset and CPU brand. I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tony n., Jun 23, 2021.

1. tony n. Win User

VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020

So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard same chipset and CPU brand. I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis. I found the issue to be the bcd.dll but I don't know how to fix it. I have updated Windows and currently running Version 21H1 Build 19043.1052. I get the following errors in Event Viewer: Faulting application name: vssvc.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0xbf943c3d Faulting module name: bcd.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x1a78703d Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000004085 Faulting process id: 0x12a8 Fau

:)

tony n., Jun 23, 2021

2. VSS Error

I tried to back up and create a system image. I received the error below. I tried to use Acronis 2020 and get VSS errors.

VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020 5f94562d-3217-471f-950c-903c7d2ffe14?upload=true.jpg

ChrisLorine, Jun 23, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    VSS is corrupt and need to enable to create backup

Hi, two repair utilities come to mind:

a. Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool offers a number of repairs. One of them is VSS.
    Just search for it: select only the repair you need, and follow the preparatory steps.

b. Macrium Reflect offers a feature to fix VSS issues:

VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020 [​IMG]

Troubleshooting Microsoft VSS errors - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Finally I just came across this, by Acronis... did they not suggest it?
    https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/person...tic-free-tool/

Please note- tenforums members are not MS employees- we are users, like you.

dalchina, Jun 23, 2021
  4. SoFine409 Win User

VSS is corrupt and need to enable to create backup

You can always create a rescue USB stick and boot from that. It can be used to create a backup image because it doesn’t use the VSS writer.

SoFine409, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

1. VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020 - Similar Threads - VSS bcd dll

2. VSS Issues with backups on Windows Server 2016 Standard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS Issues with backups on Windows Server 2016 Standard: I have a backup appliance from Datto that is running hourly backups on a Windows Server 2016 Standard File Server. The backups up until about 2-3 weeks ago were working without issue outside of the irregular power outage or two with summer storms. I had an issue where just...
  3. VSS Issues with backups on Windows Server 2016 Standard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS Issues with backups on Windows Server 2016 Standard: I have a backup appliance from Datto that is running hourly backups on a Windows Server 2016 Standard File Server. The backups up until about 2-3 weeks ago were working without issue outside of the irregular power outage or two with summer storms. I had an issue where just...
  4. OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?: Does OneDrive curupt VSS backup system?I have tested two PC at the time of writing.I use Macrium Reflect for backup. AOMEI backup which also uses VSS, can't run a backup either.Solution: 1 Install a backup with Macrium in the boot menu before the latest update of OneDrive. 2...
  5. OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?: Does OneDrive curupt VSS backup system?I have tested two PC at the time of writing.I use Macrium Reflect for backup. AOMEI backup which also uses VSS, can't run a backup either.Solution: 1 Install a backup with Macrium in the boot menu before the latest update of OneDrive. 2...
  6. VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020: So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard (same chipset and CPU brand). I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis. I found the issue to be the bcd.dll but I don't know how to fix it. I have updated Windows and currently running Version...
  7. VSS Error when making image backup

VSS Error when making image backup: When i start image backup the event logs indicate writers time-outs and the event logs indicate "fail to parse XML file". A non valid character in text content. Looking closer to the logs i can see that one of the partitions RE recovery partition shows a strange GPT-name...
  8. Windows Image Backup stopped working, VSS and SPP errors

Windows Image Backup stopped working, VSS and SPP errors: Hi, I am new to Windows 10 Forum but was a member of Windows 8 Forum for many years. I have been an avid computer user since 1981 BBC Micro days. I have had a new Windows 10 since March 2019 but now have a problem that has frequently arisen with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10....
  9. Windows 10 Lenovo laptop VSS backup issue

Windows 10 Lenovo laptop VSS backup issue: Using 3rd party backup solution to perform Volume Shadow Copy service ("VSS") failed. Just happen of the Lenovo laptop contains OEM partitions. Is VSS support OEM partitions? Any official documentation mention? Thanks. -laptop Windows 10 Pro. -VSS backup fails with error...
  10. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...