Windows 10: VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020

Discus and support VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard (same chipset and CPU brand). I'm having issues backing up using VSS using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tonynca, Jun 24, 2021.

1. tonynca Win User

VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020

So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard (same chipset and CPU brand). I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis. I found the issue to be the bcd.dll but I don't know how to fix it. I have updated Windows and currently running Version 21H1 Build 19043.1052. I get the following errors in Event Viewer: Faulting application name: vssvc.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0xbf943c3d Faulting module name: bcd.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x1a78703d Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000004085 Faulting process id: 0x12a8 Faulting application start time: 0x01d768a61ca8559c Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\bcd.dll Report Id: ebde53aa-b812-4051-ab88-74029194a434 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: I also get this error as well: The Volume Shadow Copy service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). This is what I tried so far: 1. sfc scan and DISM check + restore are OK 2. Re-registering VSS DLLs 3. Fixing permissions in CLSID of VSS in Regedit 4. Verifying VSS writers are OK 5. Checkdisk is OK 6. Reset PC (Windows ISO method) - saving apps and settings = bricked Windows and fails to boot 7. vssadmin command to delete shadow copies 8. Verified all VSS related services are operational in Services 9. Repair Acronis didn't work The only thing that worked was for me to replace bcd.dll with one found on the web, but then this would cause all sorts of other things to stop working like Disk Manager and various apps, which prompts me to perform another sfc scan to fix. I'm not even sure what bcd.dll is doing. I don't want to attempt a PC reset since I have so many apps installed and it would be very time-consuming to reset and restore all my configurations.

:)

tonynca, Jun 24, 2021
  2. Ehstii Win User

Acronis True Image

I built a server im putting on a network. there are going to be up to 5 workstations connected to this server. the server only serves a purpose of keeping the workstations backed-up so i purchased Acronis. i know the basics as to how the software works but im not quite sure what to install on the server.

alright so i have Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server and im ready to install it on to a server. ive used this software a few times before on a regular PC, but im not quite sure what to install onto a server. when i put in the disc there are a few options.

1. Install Acronis True Image Management Console
    2. Install Acronis True Image Agent for Windows
    3. Install Acronis Backup Server
    4. Install Acronis Group Server
    5. Install Acronis True Image Agent for Linux
    6. Install Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server

now i know that numbers 2 and 5 would go on the workstation side of the network.

but i dont know which item or items i should install on the server.

help anyone?

Ehstii, Jun 24, 2021
  3. tonynca Win User

So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard (same chipset and CPU brand). I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis. I found the issue to be the bcd.dll but I don't know how to fix it.

I have updated Windows and currently running Version 21H1 Build 19043.1052.

I get the following errors in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: vssvc.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0xbf943c3d
    Faulting module name: bcd.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x1a78703d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000004085
    Faulting process id: 0x12a8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d768a61ca8559c
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\bcd.dll
    Report Id: ebde53aa-b812-4051-ab88-74029194a434
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also get this error as well:

The Volume Shadow Copy service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

This is what I tried so far:

1. sfc scan and DISM check + restore are OK
    2. Re-registering VSS DLLs
    3. Fixing permissions in CLSID of VSS in Regedit
    4. Verifying VSS writers are OK
    5. Checkdisk is OK
    6. Reset PC (Windows ISO method) - saving apps and settings = bricked Windows and fails to boot
    7. vssadmin command to delete shadow copies
    8. Verified all VSS related services are operational in Services
    9. Repair Acronis didn't work

The only thing that worked was for me to replace bcd.dll with one found on the web, but then this would cause all sorts of other things to stop working like Disk Manager and various apps, which prompts me to perform another sfc scan to fix. I'm not even sure what bcd.dll is doing.

I don't want to attempt a PC reset since I have so many apps installed and it would be very time-consuming to reset and restore all my configurations.

tonynca, Jun 24, 2021
  4. SIW2 Win User

Are you able to create a system restore point, just to check if vss works without acronis?

Thema:

1. VSS issue with BCD.DLL: Can't backup using Acronis True Image 2020 - Similar Threads - VSS issue BCD

2. VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    VSS and bcd.dll issue: Can't backup using VSS Acronis True Image 2020: So it all started with me upgrading my PC to a different motherboard same chipset and CPU brand. I'm having issues backing up using VSS using Acronis. I found the issue to be the bcd.dll but I don't know how to fix it. I have updated Windows and currently running Version 21H1...
  3. Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions: Hello, I have a 2 month old HP laptop with 256GB NVMe SSD running Windows 10 Version 2004. I wanted to upgrade to a 500GB NVMe SSD. The laptop only has the one NVMe port and I don't have a NVMe to USB adapter or enclosure, so cloning wasn't an option. I got copy of Acronis...
  4. Acronis True Image or Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image or Windows Security: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  5. Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  6. acronis true image 2013 HELP!

acronis true image 2013 HELP!: Hello, I'm in need of some help? I currently have acronis true image 2013 installed on my pc and friends. We both have the F11 feature turned on, but my question is their any other way to boot acronis true image without using the F11 feature? Do you think i would be able...
  7. Acronis True Image 2017 - processes

Acronis True Image 2017 - processes: I have recently installed Acronis True Image 2017 into my Win 10 pro desktop PC. Got a good deal as an upgrade offer. I only make backups on this PC as and when I feel the need to, definitely not on a weekly basis. This is not a work PC and I do not want it running backups...
  8. Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014

Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014: Hi, I just updated to Windows 10 and I am loving it! I want to create a system image using a Acronis True Image 2014 bootable CD. I created a backup using the CD just fine and it includes the MBR the C: drive. When i try to restore the image, Windows 10 will boot but when i...
  9. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  10. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...