Windows 10: VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup

Discus and support VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all! I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 2020 to use as my backup software. However, I have not been able to make a single succesfull... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Koen.B, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Koen.B Win User

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup

Hi all!

I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 2020 to use as my backup software. However, I have not been able to make a single succesfull backup. Whenever I try to make a backup whether that is to the Acronis Cloud or to an external HDD I get the following error message:
    VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup c62cdc0b-9e44-4c1f-b1a2-58b083949261?upload=true.png

I had no clue what a 'shadow copy provider' was before running into this error and have done some extensive research since, but to no avail. The core of the problem is that I keep getting the following error in the Application log:

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup 247be4c2-3696-4629-893f-b7b7b8635bd1?upload=true.png

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup d3745c83-7771-4cc7-bbeb-78e47bbfa60f?upload=true.png

If I check the status of the writers running the command ['vssadmin list writers'] in an elevated Command Prompt the result is that most of them have timed out one time more than the other with the following message:State: [10] FailedLast error: Timed out

When I restart the writers all is good again but they keep failing whenever I try to make a backup, which means I have not been able to do so since purchasing the software and do currently not have a proper backup file.

My newest problem has to do with an TPM error Event ID 27:

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup 815d0968-90ea-49e5-9396-a187f7b74b41?upload=true.png

I have checked in the BIOS and my TPM is enabled. I do not know what clearing TPM does or what TPM is so do not know whether I can safely do that. I have just disabled and thereafter enabled TPM again in BIOS but the same error has occured again. I can't load the "Trusted Platform Module TPM Management on Local Computer" until I disable and enable the TPM again, receiving the following message:

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup 5589e6b7-9c27-4be7-842f-6237993d5935?upload=true.png

It seems like there might possible be something wrong with the security settings of my computer, but I can't seem to figure out what. I did use the normal backup software offered by Windows 10 the one in the settings before but that didn't function properly either, could it be that it is somehow interfering with Acronis? As you may have noticed I am way out of my technological comfort zone here and do not really know what I have to do...

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me with my problem!

Many thanks in advance!

:)

Koen.B, Jun 8, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

VSS is corrupt and need to enable to create backup

Hi, two repair utilities come to mind:

a. Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool offers a number of repairs. One of them is VSS.
    Just search for it: select only the repair you need, and follow the preparatory steps.

b. Macrium Reflect offers a feature to fix VSS issues:

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup [​IMG]

Troubleshooting Microsoft VSS errors - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Finally I just came across this, by Acronis... did they not suggest it?
    https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/person...tic-free-tool/

Please note- tenforums members are not MS employees- we are users, like you.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

VSS Errors 8193 and 13

I'm not that familiar with it to say that, but I do know that if the system needs to "freeze" that picture to update without interrupting the flow for the user, VSS re-routes the user and system writes via the VSS writers, system does it's thing, and VSS flushes the updated data back real-time. Problems occur usually when the writers can't start properly, or can't close the writers properly. Dangling data causes VSS errors and possible corruption. 99% of it is way over my head. For example, at the end of Macrium backup, last step is to close the VSS writers and flush back. You see a pause in the action for a few seconds before the completion message.

f14tomcat, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

1. VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup - Similar Threads - VSS TPM errors

2. OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?: Does OneDrive curupt VSS backup system?I have tested two PC at the time of writing.I use Macrium Reflect for backup. AOMEI backup which also uses VSS, can't run a backup either.Solution: 1 Install a backup with Macrium in the boot menu before the latest update of OneDrive. 2...
  3. OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive curupts VSS backup system?: Does OneDrive curupt VSS backup system?I have tested two PC at the time of writing.I use Macrium Reflect for backup. AOMEI backup which also uses VSS, can't run a backup either.Solution: 1 Install a backup with Macrium in the boot menu before the latest update of OneDrive. 2...
  4. Enabling TPM causes error 0xc00000e9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling TPM causes error 0xc00000e9: Hi,I have been trying to update to Windows 11, my computer meets all requirements except having the TPM enabled. I checked and my computer does have TPM 2.0 but it was disabled, so I reboot the computer and enter the UEFI to enable it. Once done I save the changes to the UEFI...
  5. Enabling TPM causes error 0xc00000e9

Enabling TPM causes error 0xc00000e9: Hi,I have been trying to update to Windows 11, my computer meets all requirements except having the TPM enabled. I checked and my computer does have TPM 2.0 but it was disabled, so I reboot the computer and enter the UEFI to enable it. Once done I save the changes to the UEFI...
  6. Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error: From some time when i make a backup with Acronis, my system alert me for some error on VSSD ref. 12293. Attached image of situation on c proprity and lof of VSSDoctor. When i go in system properties the protection is disable and is impossible enable ... I try also with...
  7. Windows 10 Backup Failure with VSS Error

Windows 10 Backup Failure with VSS Error: If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I"ve searched for information on this error without success. My Windows 10 computer got Feature Update 2004 on 7/27/2020, since then I haven't been able to get Backup and Restore Windows 7 to run because of a VSS error. Volume...
  8. VSS Error when making image backup

VSS Error when making image backup: When i start image backup the event logs indicate writers time-outs and the event logs indicate "fail to parse XML file". A non valid character in text content. Looking closer to the logs i can see that one of the partitions RE recovery partition shows a strange GPT-name...
  9. VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup: [IMG] Hi all! I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 2020 to use as my backup software. However, I have not been able to make a single succesfull backup. Whenever I try to make a backup (whether that is to the Acronis Cloud or to an external HDD) I get the following...
  10. VSS Error

VSS Error: I tried to back up and create a system image. I received the error below. I tried to use Acronis 2020 and get VSS errors. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vss-error/26ba7eeb-4f40-4aff-9094-4609ae5615d3