Windows 10: w 10 notepad hijack

Discus and support w 10 notepad hijack in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, every time i try to download a pdf or any other info file, it comes out in notepad, which just shows a page of code. its my fault for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kriz, Nov 4, 2018.

1. kriz Win User

w 10 notepad hijack

Hi All, every time i try to download a pdf or any other info file, it comes out in notepad, which just shows a page of code.
    its my fault for selecting notepad at some stage, but now i cannot change it back to Adobe or just get my system to recognize a download as a simple pdf ect
    any advice appreciated
    Chris*092

:)

kriz, Nov 4, 2018

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, Nov 4, 2018
  4. JCabebe Win User

w 10 notepad hijack

Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

w 10 notepad hijack

1. w 10 notepad hijack - Similar Threads - notepad hijack

2. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...
  3. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...
  4. White borders in the notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    White borders in the notepad: I see white borders when I open notepad, they are only on the left, right and bottom, if I drag over the edge with the border - it disappears, also if I minimize and expand notepad - they disappear. I thought it was some kind of windows problem, but there have been several...
  5. White borders in the notepad

White borders in the notepad: I see white borders when I open notepad, they are only on the left, right and bottom, if I drag over the edge with the border - it disappears, also if I minimize and expand notepad - they disappear. I thought it was some kind of windows problem, but there have been several...
  6. Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...

Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old version of Notepad because I like how it's more simple and it opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall the new Notepad through the start menu and...
  7. Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to use the old version of Notepad in Windows 11 and fix "New > Text...: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old version of Notepad because I like how it's more simple and it opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall the new Notepad through the start menu and...
  8. How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?

How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old notepad because I like how it's more simple and opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall Notepad through the start menu and Windows will open .txt files...
  9. How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use old notepad and restore "New > Text Document" button?: Ok, here's the situation. I use Windows 11 and I've been trying to restore the old notepad because I like how it's more simple and opens faster than the new one. Eventually I found out that you can just uninstall Notepad through the start menu and Windows will open .txt files...
  10. w 10 notepad hijack

w 10 notepad hijack: Hi All, every time i try to download a pdf or any other info file, it comes out in notepad, which just shows a page of code. its my fault for selecting notepad at some stage, but now i cannot change it back to Adobe or just get my system to recognize a download as a simple...