Windows 10: W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed

Discus and support W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a different twist on the default app setting. For reasons outside the scope of this question we need to have several versions of the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Scott Leedy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed

I have a different twist on the default app setting. For reasons outside the scope of this question we need to have several versions of the same software. I want to be able to control which version is set as the default on a particular machine. For example if I install a new version; call it Feb-2019 on a machine that already had a Nov-2018 & July-2016 version etc, I want this particular system to have the Nov-2018 version as the default (not the new Feb-2019).

It seems as though the default app list that comes up when using the new "choose default apps by file type" only has the latest version (Feb-2019) available. The other option is the windows store. I want to set the default to another executable in a different folder on the same machine i.e. the "browse" feature on prior versions of windows. I don't want to have to do this by editing the registry if possible.

:)

Scott Leedy, Feb 6, 2019

2. Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro not listed under set default program

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As you are unable to set Adobe Acrobat as default program from settings, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Navigate to the file which you want to open using Adobe Acrobat.
    • Right click on the file and select Open with and click on
      choose another app
    • Check if Adobe Acrobat is listed in the programs list.
    • If not then click on Look for another app on this PC.
    • Navigate to the location where Adobe Acrobat is installed and select the same.
    • Check the box for Always use this app to open files and click on
      OK.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    I need to add a program to the list of Default programs

Hi Don,

It seems that the .gsk file is having a problem with Windows 10. To better assist you with this, we suggest posting your query in GSAK forum.

Regards.

Riel Alc, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

1. Which update was installed on the computer?

There are few reasons that can be considered as to why you are having issues with preferred default applications on the device. It can be because of an update that was installed on the computer. Kindly follow the below steps and
    make the necessary changes to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Change default apps through control Panel.

• Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in Start menu and then press
      Enter key.
    • Change the Control Panel View by to Small icons. Click
      Default Programs to open Default Programs window.
    • Select the first option- Set your default programs.
    • In the left-pane, select your web browser or any other program that you want to set as your default program.
    • Once you select a program or app, you will see
      Set this program as default
      option on the right-side. Click set this program as default option to set it as default.

Step 2: To choose default apps by File type in Settings.

• Open Settings > Click on
      Apps
      > Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default apps by file type option from the bottom of the right pane.
    • Click on Choose a default option and choose an app to always open the file type with by default.

Additional Information: You may have to go through the article on

Make Acrobat or Reader the default owner of PDF files on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed

1. W-10 Setting Default app to a program file not listed - Similar Threads - Setting Default app

2. Program does not appear in default app list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program does not appear in default app list: Hi, I need to use an app called Neoconnect+ to open Tel:0102030405 links that I click in browser.Currently it is set to use Edge and does a lot of nothing.When I go change the default app in settings, it does not show Neoconnect in the list and the only option is the win...
  3. Program does not appear in default app list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program does not appear in default app list: Hi, I need to use an app called Neoconnect+ to open Tel:0102030405 links that I click in browser.Currently it is set to use Edge and does a lot of nothing.When I go change the default app in settings, it does not show Neoconnect in the list and the only option is the win...
  4. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 default program list: I am 66 and set in my ways. I downloaded a copy of the antique version of MS Paint from the internet because it has features I'm used to. I got it to work in Win10, but the only way to ad a .jpg or .bmp file to it is to drag and drop it, then it works perfectly. I want to...
  5. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  6. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  7. default app not listed for a file

default app not listed for a file: how do I change the default app for file if the app is not listed but has been installed on the PC. the files are for embroidery software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-not-listed-for-a-file/646fc608-d66f-4545-bf2d-ccbc2a16545b
  8. List of Windows 10 default programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    List of Windows 10 default programs: Hello. I'm the owner of an Inspiron 15 Dell laptop running, up to this date, the latest version of windows 10. I recently did a sweep of all my systems and deleted some default programs to make room for some newer downloads. However upon closer inspection I found there was...
  9. Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding programs to the list of Default Apps: I run Windows 10 Home, latest patches. It the settings where I set Default Apps, and I set for example Default Vide player , there appears just a short list of apps. Kodi does not appear on this list, even though it is installed. How do I add applications to this list? I...
  10. Default apps in settings is not on the list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...