Windows 10: W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration?

Discus and support W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did the free upgrade from W-7 to W-10 via a clean install where I used my Lenovo's MS product key. As I understand it when this was done MS records... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jrw11, Aug 6, 2018.

1. jrw11 Win User

W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration?

I did the free upgrade from W-7 to W-10 via a clean install where I used my Lenovo's MS product key. As I understand it when this was done MS records certain hardware information along with the product key so that it cannot be used on another PC. I now want to upgrade the CPU on my PC. The motherboard will remain the same. The new CPU is from the same manufacturer with the same model #. The only thing that changes is it's going from a multi-core 2.7ghz to 3.2ghz CPU. (note: I have to change out the CPU's heatsink/fan and I can get one with the better CPU for only a few dollars more than one without the CPU).
    Will this change in the CPU cause MS to consider this to be a different PC and invalidate my using this product key with this PC?
    --thanks--

:)

jrw11, Aug 6, 2018
  2. CDeanT Win User

Invalid Product Key

I bought my computer from Best Buy with Windows 10 preinstalled. Now I am upgrading Windows 10 and I get an invalid product key error. Why?

CDeanT, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Upgraded from windows 8.1 and have an invalid product key and liscense

As the title suggests I reserved my free copy of windows 10 from 8.1, but my windows 10 key isn't valid as it seems... I get the error code: 0xC004F034. Which tells me in the error description that my product key either doesn't exist or is invalid. Like
    i've said that's weird because i upgraded from a legit copy of windows 8.1. this "invalid" product key also prohibits me from downloading apps in the store. Please help.

RyanNotforyou, Aug 6, 2018
  4. W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration?

Invalid product key Win7 home premium upgrade to win 10

I was receiving an invalid key message when attempting to upgrade to Windows 10. Apparently, Lenovo used the same product key as a matter of practice for their Windows 7 OEM installs. I purchased my laptop directly from Lenovo. Microsoft views this a
    leaked key and therefore, invalid for upgrade to Windows 10. The tech support person informed me that I could purchase a new license from Microsoft. I think that falls under the heading of 'No Duh.

My advice for those of you who are getting the invalid product key message, perform a search before spending time with Microsoft support. If you have a leaked key, Microsoft will not provide a valid key.

bsemingson, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration?

1. W-10: Upgrade CPU - Does it invalidate product key registration? - Similar Threads - Upgrade CPU Does

2. Windows 7 product key invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 product key invalid: Hello, I have a purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.I am the only one who bought, opened and used the installation disks, which is a pack of the 32 bit and 64 bit disks.My system was originally installed with 32 bit Windows 7 because when I got it used, it had a failed...
  3. Why my production key invalid?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my production key invalid?: why my product key is invalid, i had tried another code in google KMS, also invalid. I am sure my windows is original since this included with the laptop. FYI my windows type always changing. Now my windows is 11 pro education, later can be 11 pro, later can be 11 pro N, and...
  4. Constant Crashing w/ Invalid Activation Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant Crashing w/ Invalid Activation Key: I've had a lot of issues with this laptop and I should've gotten a computer, but since i'm flat broke on really anything along with the constant 700 blue screen and black screens i've had for almost 9 months straight and still logging everything manually and letting the...
  5. Constant Crashing w/ Invalid Activation Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant Crashing w/ Invalid Activation Key: I've had a lot of issues with this laptop and I should've gotten a computer, but since i'm flat broke on really anything along with the constant 700 blue screen and black screens i've had for almost 9 months straight and still logging everything manually and letting the...
  6. Constant Crashing w/ Invalid Activation Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 Home product key is invalid

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home product key is invalid: When I tried pausing updates, I was unable to do so because "my organization disabled that". However, I use my laptop personally, so I have no organization or administrator to control that. I looked into it further and saw that Windows Insider might have disabled it. But I...
  8. Invalid Product Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Invalid Product Key: I was experimenting if I can install windows 8.1 on my old computer for nostalgic purposes. I have 2 product keys I was able to recover from the command prompt and third party programs. I then installed windows 8.1 iso to my usb and when I attempted to type both product keys...
  9. Windows 10 says invalid product key after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 says invalid product key after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: I'll start by saying that last year I decided to factory reset my laptop without saving a complete backup. I just put the files I wanted on a USB drive and then wiped the computer. I then had to borrow a friends recovery USB stick to get Windows to install properly. I...
  10. windows says product key is invalid

windows says product key is invalid: I put a new hard drive in a win7 computer and used a jump drive copy of win10... I knew I'd need a new product key (I don't even know what the win7 key was). I bought a key from my wife's college (cuz it was free with her edu email).. Now windows says it's an invalid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does upgrading CPU in Windows 10 affect registration