Windows 10: W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?

Discus and support W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We just upgraded to W-10. Our W-7 Computer name was: TGS-Client-01 Our W-7 Full Computer name was: TGS-Client-01 Our W-7 Computer description was: The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mike Lynch, Dec 15, 2019.

1. W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?

We just upgraded to W-10.
    Our W-7 Computer name was: TGS-Client-01
    Our W-7 Full Computer name was: TGS-Client-01
    Our W-7 Computer description was: The General Store Client 01
    Workgroup was: WORKGROUP

During the Upgrade we used:

Our W-10 Computer name is: TGS-Server
    Our W-10 Full Computer name is: TGS-Server
    Our W-10 Computer description is: The General Store Server
    Workgroup was: WORKGROUP

If we rename the four items above back to what the names were under W-7, will it damage anything in W-10?

:)

Mike Lynch, Dec 15, 2019
  2. BillBoy66 Win User

File recovery of W-7 files from W-10

I upgraded to 10 after it promised me it would save the document files exactly as had W-7 (I had recently upgraded from Vista) in the Windows.old file. Silly me. I was asked by W-10 to "name" the computer and used my first two initials and last name as
    X. X. Yyyyyy. My previous "name" was listed xxyyyyyy. Now I can't access my old files because the file path, (I'm guessing, here), is different where the "name" is in the file path. I have a Windows.old file in W-10, but can't open it. I even bought an app
    from the Windows store which, of course, doesn't work! (Wow! How unexpected). So at this point, I can't access files I need for my work. SOL.

BB66

BillBoy66, Dec 15, 2019
  3. UPGRADING FROM W 8.1 PROFESSIONAL TO W 10 PROFESSIONAL

Thank you for your info.

I upgraded the common way:

1. Reserved my upgrade.

2. It came and I was notified when download was complete.

3. Told to upgrade.

4. Followed instructions without a hitch.

5. Upgrade completed successfully and I started using W 10

6. Checked on properties and found that I had received W 10 Home.

7. Did same to my Dell Desktop which had W 7 Ultimate and got W 10 Professional

So why not get W 10 Professional on Samsung Laptop NP270E5J-K01US?

GeorgeMuhuni, Dec 15, 2019
  4. W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?

W-10 does not allow Creative sound, but W-7 and Fedora do

I have a lab PC with a swap-rack so I can switch between OS, mainly Fedora and W-7. The PC also has an older (five years) Creative sound card. I have a second copy of W-7 which I recently allowed to be changed to W-10. The Fedora and W

-7 systems work as they should, allowing me to listen to music (I'm doing so as I write this via W-7). However, the W-10 system gives no sound of any kind. I played around with device drivers and could not make it work. I tried the troubleshooter, but it
    found nothing wrong.

Then I took a spare hard drive and installed W-10 from a disc (the anniversary edition downloaded two weeks ago). As soon as it booted, I looked at Device Manager, but it displayed no errors at all. I tried to play an MP3 file, but nothing. No systems sounds
    either. Then I installed the recommended Creative driver and rebooted, but still no sound.

So neither W-10's generic driver nor Creative's driver work. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them, otherwise I'll revert W-10 back to W-7.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

baroque-quest, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?

1. W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name? - Similar Threads - Upgrade disrupted Applications

2. W-10, lost left channel sound shortly after Upgrade from W-7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W-10, lost left channel sound shortly after Upgrade from W-7: Hello all; I have a problem with the sound having lost the left channel shortly after upgrading from W-7. My W-10 Home version is 2004, Build 1941.746. This happened many months ago, and I had given up on a fix, short of a complete re-installation. After all I have sound just...
  3. W-10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W-10: Установил и активировал В 10 и теперь сожалею об этом,работает медленно и часто слетает активация,ошибок не находит. У меня достаточно хороший комп. и нет ни желания ни средств из за плохо работающей программы менять его. Весь этот переход на десятку очень похож на...
  4. Upgrade w 7 to W 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade w 7 to W 10: Hello, Cannot upgrade w 7 to w 10 getrs locked to infinite 0 does not move even after severasl hours akso try differently by placing the ESO on the desktop and uploading after, still the same result How can this work normally ? Please hlep Thank you...
  5. 10 free upgrade from W-7 Pro to 10 Pro ??

10 free upgrade from W-7 Pro to 10 Pro ??: Done a lot of free upgrades from W-7 Home to 10 Home with no problem. Now have a W-7 Pro that wants to be upgraded to 10 Pro. Can I use my usual method, going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 and doing the upgrade this PC?? Pete 146200
  6. Inconsistency sharing folders on home network. W 7 Pro & W 10 Pro,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inconsistency sharing folders on home network. W 7 Pro & W 10 Pro,: I have been able to setup folder sharing on my Mi-Fi home network. Internet works on all devices connected. I want to be able to share between all four of my Windows laptops. Two on W 7 and two on W 10. Other devices including my wife's laptops do not require sharing...
  7. Transfer Windows Live Mail from Old PC w/Win 7 to new PC w/Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Transfer Windows Live Mail from Old PC w/Win 7 to new PC w/Windows 10: The Scenario: My husband is a travel agent. We use Windows Live Mail. He keeps email files from clients in a WLM folder called "Clients", has a subfolder for each client, and stores information about their trips in the subfolders. His older computer runs Windows 7. The new...
  8. How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition?

How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition?: Hello everyone. I have a fairly new Dell laptop that I installed a SSD in after cloning the original HDD. Somehow the factory recovery partition was not copied to the SSD. I have tried twice to upgrade to W-10 and each time it has failed with error message 0XC1900200....
  9. Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1

Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1: I have a silly problem. I run W 8 on my desktop computer but have never been able to upgrade to W 8.1 as I have never been able to open Windows Store, despite multiple solutions none of which have worked. The only solution of reinstalling W 8 has not appealed! I am happy with...
  10. W 7 Pro to W 10 on a Panasonic Toughbook - many failures

in Windows 10 Support
    W 7 Pro to W 10 on a Panasonic Toughbook - many failures: I have just updated from W 7 Pro, my Panasonic Cf-53JSWZGDE using the standard Microsoft download. I noticed that a warning flashed on the screen about a Bluetooth problem, during the update. The BT mouse no longer works, but no yellow indicator in the Device Manager. The...