Windows 10: W10 15 hours Black screen

Discus and support W10 15 hours Black screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am concerned that this third attempt at downloading W10 is taking so long to reboot. After the second attempt left the screen black for 7 hours, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Ann66noe Win User

W10 15 hours Black screen

I am concerned that this third attempt at downloading W10 is taking so long to reboot. After the second attempt left the screen black for 7 hours, I called Microsoft. The MS rep told me to go ahead and power on. Of course, when I did, the message appeared that Windows 8.1 was being restored.

For this current (3rd) attempt, started at 11:00pm California time last night, 8-3, the system powered off sometime during the night or early morning, but has not restarted. It is now 4:22pm on 8-4.
    A friend said that her system was re-started after 40 minutes with Windows 10 installed.
    My desktop is an HP Pavilion Vision using. I went to the download page to download 64-bit.

Does anyone know whether there is something going on in the background and I should leave it powered off? Or, shall I power it on and be restored? Or...?

:)

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015

2. Upgrading to Windows 10 - Computer froze up

Took an hour or so to download upgrade from W7 to W10. Then computer started installing while I was out of the room. Then, at some point, the computer just locked up. As nothing was happening (just a black screen) for 3 or 4 hours, I tried to reboot the
    computer. All I get is a black screen, no messages, no operating system, no nothing. What now?

RTHuff.1000, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Alienware upgrading W7 Ultimate to W10 stuck

Thank you, I will check them out. I am currently working with a Microsoft escalation team member to figure out what the issue is. He has been great and very responsive, calling when he says he will. We have tried twice more with the same result, black screen
    w/ active cursor.

Clean install of W7 on clean hard drive

Logged in remotely and started install of W10 48 hours later black screen after W10 tries to boot.

sailbeachcatz177, Aug 4, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Question to be certain, this download originally was files to do the upgrade, then you tried to download the ISO ?
    Did you uninstall Avira first ?

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    Any and all AV programs should be removed. If they are compatible they can be replaced after the upgrade.

Gary, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Ann66noe Win User
    Thanks for responding. I was making an effort to download Windows 10; not sure what you mean by "downloading the ISO."
    No I did not uninstall AVIRA. Sounds like you're saying that I should.

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Ann66noe Win User
    Thanks for responding. I was making an effort to upgrade to Windows 10; from the download page; not sure what you mean by "downloading the ISO."
    No I did not uninstall AVIRA. Sounds like you're saying that I should.

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Yes one of the recommendation for installing upgrade, must uninstall all Anti-Virus, then after reinstall them as will cause issues to upgrade. What exactly did you mean by downloading ? On 29th of July anybody who reserved Windows 10 will of received the downloaded files on there main C: drive to be able to do the upgrade. Is this what you were talking about having trouble with or install of the files?

Then there is others ways to get upgrade https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Ann66noe Win User
    Many thanks. Simply put I need to power back on, have windows 8 restored and then save all of my music, MP3's and MP4's on a flash drive. What about photos?

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Did you read the Notes: in blue in this link above ? If files on your main drive for upgrade, received your notice ready to install that is way you started, should be no reason yet to use method in tutorial above, just read the notes there.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  11. Ann66noe Win User
    Thanks again for sharing solutions. I was unable to reserve the W10 upgrade., even though all of the updates are current. The MS phone rep told me that I would automatically receive the Windows icon in the lower right hand corner of the task bar in a couple of days. That had not happened by last night. Before I discovered this forum, InfoWorld had a link to a page where I could download and install the W10 upgrade. When I purchased the computer new from Costco, Windows 8 ws already installed. Then, when 8.1 came along, Microsoft automatically downloaded it to the computer. I expected that the same would happen this time with W10.

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  12. Ann66noe Win User
    noted~

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Well first post did not explain this well, why i asked a question first, now you cleared it up. First wait for Icon to appear, keep rechecking windows updates, may take awhile to get the right update for this upgrade icon to occur. As it's only one update makes this happen.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Ann66noe Win User
    Gratitude for helping me to clarify my situtation. I'll unistall the necessary programs and be patient.

Ann66noe, Aug 4, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    If the computer is powered off then it not doing anything so power it on. If it reverts to Windows 8.1 that's good, better than being left with no working operating system.

I'd say forget waiting for Microsoft to finally notify you that you copy of Windows 10 is ready. Instead, go ahead and follow the direction in Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation.

Before you do this, uninstall any anti-virus software you installed. Also any firewall software.
    Uninstall any start button enhancers like Classic Shell or Start8 and any other Stardock software like Window Blinds.
    If you moved your users files like Documents, Pictures, Movies to another drive or partition, move them back. You can move them again after the upgrade.

Disconnect everything except you mouse, keyboard and display. If you have a 2nd or 3rd internal hard drive, disconnect them as well.

Good luck.

Ztruker, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. W10 15 hours Black screen - Similar Threads - W10 hours Black

2. Black screening every few hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screening every few hours: Hi, My pc has been crashing every now and again for the past few weeks, but now it is starting to happen every hour. It is also no longer giving me a blue screen and is now just turning off my monitors and black screening. I have tried quite a lot of solutions online but...
  3. Black screening every few hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screening every few hours: Hi, My pc has been crashing every now and again for the past few weeks, but now it is starting to happen every hour. It is also no longer giving me a blue screen and is now just turning off my monitors and black screening. I have tried quite a lot of solutions online but...
  4. Black screening every few hours

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen issue Lenovo LOQ 15

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen issue Lenovo LOQ 15: So I recently bought the Lenovo LOQ15. Amazing laptop but every time I start it, I get a black screen... Apperantly this is 'normal' for this laptop. But I don't think so... So I either restart the laptop by holding the power button, or I wait a few minutes and then it...
  6. Black screen issue Lenovo LOQ 15

Black screen issue Lenovo LOQ 15: So I recently bought the Lenovo LOQ15. Amazing laptop but every time I start it, I get a black screen... Apperantly this is 'normal' for this laptop. But I don't think so... So I either restart the laptop by holding the power button, or I wait a few minutes and then it...
  7. Black screen W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen W10: Hiya, I've been having a problem that has just recently occurred to me. I was playing a game as usual when all of a sudden, my screen went black for about 5 seconds, then the game crashed and it brought me back to my desktop, no error message, nothing... It's been happening...
  8. Black screen W10

Black screen W10: Hiya, I've been having a problem that has just recently occurred to me. I was playing a game as usual when all of a sudden, my screen went black for about 5 seconds, then the game crashed and it brought me back to my desktop, no error message, nothing... It's been happening...
  9. Black screen W10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Black screen in W10 in VMware

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen in W10 in VMware: I'm using W10 in VMWare and everything's been working OK up to now. However, I'm now getting a black screen after adding my password. Black screen - white cursor. Only thing I can do is bring up Task Manager - (Alt - Ctrl and Ins in VMware.) but I don't know enough to make...