Windows 10: [W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt

Discus and support [W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; ...and most items from the taskbar context menu (from programs) mainly File Explorer. I'm also having the DISM issue like most 1703-ers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HyeVltg3, May 6, 2017.

1. HyeVltg3 Win User

[W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt

...and most items from the taskbar context menu (from programs) mainly File Explorer.

I'm also having the DISM issue like most 1703-ers.

Initially I updated to 1703 from 16xx and programs I was previously using began to fail so I rolled back, and was met with a corrupted user profile (blank User image on logon).

Finally the weekend so I decided to Clean Install Windows 10 using the Media Creation Install, and now I'm on the 3rd re-clean install and :

- File Explorer is only opening as 1 instance, cannot open another.
    - Cannot open any pinned items from the Taskbar > R.Click File Explorer > choose one of the pinned items, or File Explorer, nothing opens.
    - Discovered the DISM issue trying to fix the above. [fixed, did not fix the above, hence this thread creation]
    - Any program that requires to be run through rundll32.exe, requires a UAC prompt, quiet annoying. (ex: volume control, playback devices, startup and others)

Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 Pro x64
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]

:)

HyeVltg3, May 6, 2017

2. UAC rundll32.exe prompt when opening the settings in the Control panel

I'm using Win 10 Home x64 with the newest updates. Recently every time I open the mouse, keyboard, sound and few more settings in a control panel I get an annoying UAC prompt that always includes rundll32.exe. I have to confirm every operation connected
    with rundll32.exe. It happens on any Windows account (admin or normal user). For example it looks like this when I try to open the "Playback devices" from the taskbar (it contains this path: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,playback):

[W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt [​IMG]

My UAC level is set to default level and I haven't detected any viruses. There's something interesting about the rundll32.exe file in the system32 folder. It has that little UAC icon (so it opens with the UAC prompt) and every other Win 10 PC I have shows
    the normal icon (there is no UAC prompt when I open it). Even after deleting the file and copying it directly from the another PC (retaining its permissions etc. with the xcopy command), it suddenly has this UAC icon. The same file in the backup WinSxS folder
    can be opened without UAC but when it's copied to the system32 folder, it changes immediately. It looks like rundll32.exe file in system32 folder doesn't have the flag "run as admin without the need for UAC elevation prompt" anymore. How can I solve this problem?

Majestic91, May 6, 2017
  3. Rhina Vib Win User
    Rundll32 UAC Prompt when opening Playback Devices from Volume Control

Hi,

For us to better assist you, we need to ask a few questions:

• Were there any changes made before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    Looking forward to your reply so we can find the best solution for you.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, May 6, 2017
  4. HyeVltg3 Win User

Issue fixed.
    Apparently this (Problems,1,2,4) were being caused by Gigabyte's App Center, I was previously told to reinstall drivers using the APP Center so that it installs drivers for my specific motherboard, I was having driver issues previously, I mixed that in when I made a clean reinstall using an iso of Windows 10 1607 (from "google").
    Tried for the last time yesterday without installing APP Center, and so far everything's updated for 1607, I do not really wanna test 1703/ Creator's Update, I'm still hearing people with issues from it.

HyeVltg3, May 9, 2017
  5. HyeVltg3 Win User
    I have no idea what happened, left my PC on overnight went to work, and now I'm home and I get a UAC Prompt when I try to R.Click Volume Control for Playback Devices...

Was there some stealth Windows Update? I looked but nothing new was added to the Updates Installed list.

[W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt [​IMG]

HyeVltg3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. [W10/1703] Clean Install, Rundll32 UAC Prompt - Similar Threads - W10 1703 Clean

2. Installer not opening after UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installer not opening after UAC prompt: I'm trying to install a piece of software Lumix Webcam if important on a computer and although the same installer works on at least two other PCs, what happens on this particular one is that the UAC prompt pops up, user clicks "Yes", prompt disappears and then literally...
  3. Installer not opening after UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installer not opening after UAC prompt: I'm trying to install a piece of software Lumix Webcam if important on a computer and although the same installer works on at least two other PCs, what happens on this particular one is that the UAC prompt pops up, user clicks "Yes", prompt disappears and then literally...
  4. Installer not opening after UAC prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. UAC Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC Prompt: Hi,I will like to know what is the best practice User Access Control for end user in the case of their Laptop joined Domain.QNS:They still can access using local admin when their PC is joined to domain? How can i avoid there OR that is the nature of it?ThanksRaymond...
  6. UAC Prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC Prompt: Hi,I will like to know what is the best practice User Access Control for end user in the case of their Laptop joined Domain.QNS:They still can access using local admin when their PC is joined to domain? How can i avoid there OR that is the nature of it?ThanksRaymond...
  7. windows UAC rundll32

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows UAC rundll32: [ATTACH] my windows have pop-up every time i open any settings in control painel, mouse, sound, keyboard etc.... my settings in UAC is default my windows is 20H2 (windows insider) but this "problem" i have since 1909...
  8. Rundll32 UAC prompts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rundll32 UAC prompts: I know this issue kinda persistent through ages and windows versions. But has anybody ever found a fix for it apart from repair install? First I had this issue when I want to open my audio devices/sound controls (first on win7 but after a while I got it on win10 too) , now I...
  9. UAC Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Prompt: I am having difficulty accessing a website or PowerPoint document due to an issue with the UAC prompt. When the prompt comes up, I manually enter the username and password. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Fakep@ssword1 The UAC prompt goes away for a split...
  10. UAC rundll32.exe prompt & application taskbar icon context menu options not functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UAC rundll32.exe prompt & application taskbar icon context menu options not functioning: Windows 10 Home v1803 build 17134.137 Two issues started around the same time a week ago: (1) Taskbar application icon context menu opens but options do not function. (Unpin/repin didn't fix) (2) Getting rundll32 UAC prompts when accessing certain settings like 'change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. UAC rundll32.exe prompt when opening the settings in the Control panel