Windows 10: W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d)

Discus and support W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, unfortunately I decided to upgrade from Windows 10 1803 to 1809. The upgrade did fail everytime. (Error-Code: 0xC1900101 – 0x40017) After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vANgLOUs, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:32 AM.

1. vANgLOUs Win User

W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d)

Hello,

unfortunately I decided to upgrade from Windows 10 1803 to 1809.
    The upgrade did fail everytime. (Error-Code: 0xC1900101 – 0x40017)

After hours of troubleshooting, analysis of setupact.log and looking for answers on the web I did find the following solution: Link
    It is german, but the user had the same problem and it was solved by disabling Hyper-V.
    I did disable/uninstall the Hyper-V role/function and the upgrade to 1809 was finally successful.

I did not install Hyper-V just for fun in the past and I did try to enable it again in 1809. The activation of the role needs a reebot.
    The reboot was NOT successful and Windows did NOT start anymore.

After doing research on a second computer I did stumble over problems regarding the "VT-d" technology:

- PSA: Disable VT-d in your BIOS if Windows 1803 fails to update and is stuck on the blue logo : windows
    - Windows 10 1809 bereitet Probleme bei der Installation Tipps und Tricks Deskmodder Wiki
    - Can't boot with Intel VT-D enabled, since build 17025

- …

I did disable VT-d in BIOS/UEFI and Windows 10 1809 did finally start.
    Of course Hyper-V does NOT work without VT-d and now I am fu****

The BIOS/UEFI is on latest Version of the vendor.
    I did install latest 1809 cumulative update from yesterday. I did try to disable some of the new security-function of the OS, but this did NOT help either.
    My CPU is AMD X6 and AMD 870 chipset.

I did a roll-back to 1803, because I need Hyper-V.

What could I do to get this fixed?
    What could I do to inform Microsoft about it more directly?

Thank you

:)

2. Hyper-V and Intel Virtualization

I am running Windows 10 (build 16299) on a Dell XPS 15 9550. When I enable the Intel virtualization technology and install
    Hyper-V the laptop blue screens on startup every time. The only way to recover it is to disable the Intel VT in the BIOS. I can then start the machine but can't use Hyper-V as it needs the Intel
    VT. I can then uninstall Hyper-V and re-enable Intel VT and everything is still fine. What I can't do is use both, which I need to do.

I've seen a few suggestions, but none of them work. The only suggestion I haven't tried is removing my virus checker, which simply isn't an option.

Can anyone help?

Ian Shimmings, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:34 AM
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    Build 14316. Hyper-v Hypervisor greyed out.

Tried Powershell: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V-All -Online

as suggested by kebero. Success

4. W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d)

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:34 AM
Thema:

W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d)

1. W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d) - Similar Threads - W10 1809 Hyper

2. W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 1809 - Hyper-V doesn't work anymore after upgrade from 1803 (VT-d): Hello, unfortunately I decided to upgrade from Windows 10 1803 to 1809. The upgrade did fail everytime. (Error-Code: 0xC1900101 – 0x40017) After hours of troubleshooting, analysis of setupact.log and looking for answers on the web I did find the following solution: Link It...
  3. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  4. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  5. Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version

Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version: Hello all, I have installed Creators Update and in Hyper-V Manager, when I click on "Upgrade Configuration Version" on any of my VMs, nothing happens. I am running Enterprise edition. And I think it is because of that I can't use new features of Hyper-V like windows...
  6. HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST

HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST: Hi there I can't install HYPER-V properly on a W10 HOST -- gets message about something in BIOS not enabled. Installs fine on W8.1 . On W10 the boxes are greyed out. Cheers jimbo 2284
  7. Will W10x64 Hyper-V work on my PC?

Will W10x64 Hyper-V work on my PC?: As the title says, before I install, I'm wondering if it will work at all. I tried to search and didn't find any specific requirements or list of PCs that are known to work/not work. I have several VMware (ESXi 5.5u3) hosts but was hoping that I could get Hyper-V working on...
  8. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files: Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the...
  9. Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm

Quirk Logging in to a Hyper-v W10 vm: tiptoed into hyper-v before but this lasted build I find myself having to enter the guest login password twice. Windows guest password is entered on a seaside background it then switches to a mountainscape background asking for the password again. Any ideas how I can fix...
  10. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....