Windows 10: W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

Discus and support W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One me time! After installing the Anniversary Update I cannot delete the "windows.old" folder. I have gone through the routine of System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ken429, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

One me time! After installing the Anniversary Update I cannot delete the "windows.old" folder. I have gone through the routine of System Settings>Storage>This PC>Temporary Files and checked the Previous Version of Windows. That did the job and cleared out everything except a couple of folders in the windows.old folder. I have tried all the usual stuff like Properties>Disk Clean Up>Clean up System Files and checked "Previous Windows Installation(s). Yet the windows.old folder remains! I also tried the elevated Command Prompt method suggested for Windows 8. That did not work either. What the heck am I missing for the W10 Anniversary exercise?

:)

Ken429, Aug 4, 2016

2. can i delete windows.old

can i delete windows.old after installing windows 10 anniversary update .

how to delete ?

winkigreen, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Disk Cleanup doesn't delete windows.old folder

Original title: Windows.Old Folder

Disk Cleanup doesn't delete windows.old folder because '' it's open or being in use '' My system was upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago from 8.1 and updated to Anniversary Update couple days ago. Now the questions are : How to stop running Windows 8.1
    and how to delete Windows.Old folder. Thanks

oktaykırkpınar, Aug 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 4, 2016
  5. altae Win User
    My fool proof solution to files that cannot be deleted: Use a Linux live CD to boot and delete from there. This way you can show all permission issues the middle finger *Wink It's even simpler if you have got a dual boot setup. This way you only need to boot Linux to delete those stubborn files.

altae, Aug 5, 2016
  6. luarpc Win User
    On my laptop i was able to delete Windows.old folder by System Settings>Storage>This PC>Temporary Files and checked the Previous Version of Windows.
    I did the same on a friend of mine laptop, and didn't worked. The only way that did the trick was downloading this:

Download Unlocker 1.9.2 - FileHippo.com

Install it, then with the right mouse button, under the windows.old folder, look for unlocker, and delete the folder.

luarpc, Aug 5, 2016
  7. aardvark Win User
    aardvark, Aug 5, 2016
  8. Ken429 Win User

No, I did not try taking ownership. I looked at the how to and decided to try Unlocker first! I used Unlocker on two systems and got different results. The first system I was instructed to do a reboot before "windows.old" would go away on the second system Unlocker just deleted the folder. I attached a snap shot of what Unlocker was showing me - the same on both machines.

Ken429, Aug 5, 2016
  9. Ken429 Win User
    And the saga goes on... I have seven machines running W10 with the Anniversary Update applied. Unlocker worked in one fashion or another on five of the machines (meaning I had to reboot 2 of the 5 before Unlocker would make the windows.old folder go away). All five of the systems that I was able to use Unlocker had an Nvidia video card. The last two machines do not have a video card (using the onboard video from Intel) and Unlocker did not delete the windows.old folder, even though it had me reboot. So... I need a little more help to make this adventure complete! Is there a simple instruction on taking ownership of a folder and/or does TweakUI work on W10?

Ken429, Aug 5, 2016
  10. DooGie Win User
    Yes I've used that method a couple of times and it does work well.

Probably best to mention that if you forget to empty trash when in Linux then you end up with a Trash directory when you boot back into Windows.

DooGie, Aug 5, 2016
  11. Ken429 Win User
    I'm stubborn, It looks like the Intel VGA driver is still using what is in one of the folders under windows.old. I installed an old version of the Intel VGA driver and Unprotect was able to delete the windows.old folder! I then updated the Intel VGA driver to the latest version and all is well. It would appear that MSFT and INTC have a minor Anniversary Update bug! Thanks all for the help. I hope my digging a little further in the registry helps someone out there.

Ken429, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    That's pretty common, and has been since the first installs. For some reason, certain files get loaded into memory after an upgrade. After you have used Disk Cleanup to remove the Windows.old, then you need to reboot, after reboot you can finally delete the rest of the files.

Mystere, Aug 6, 2016
  13. davefaz Win User

If I were you I would not do anything to the windows old folder. I had one pc that when I removed it, the pc then completely refused to boot.

davefaz, Aug 6, 2016
  14. Ken429 Win User
    Mystere,
    That is not what was happening to me! I rebooted many times and still could not delete windows.old. Windows kept saying that one of the files in windows.old was in use and it WAS according to the registry entry pointing to windows.old for one of the Intel VGA drivers. Like I said above, I only had the problem on machines that used the Intel on chip video.

davefaz,
    That's probably why you had an issue deleting windows.old. The update left the registry with a key driver or whatever pointing to the windows.old folder.

Ken429, Aug 6, 2016
  15. gvp9000 Win User
    Make a backup first...
    Then try this script.
    Copy it and save it into a notepad file.
    Rename it to whatever_you_like.bat
    Run it and press yes.

It will remove the windows.old folder.

Tell me if this worked ...

Code: @echo off :: BatchGotAdmin :------------------------------------- REM --> Check for permissions >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system" REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin. if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' ( echo Requesting administrative privileges... goto UACPrompt ) else ( goto gotAdmin ) :UACPrompt echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" exit /B :gotAdmin if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ) pushd "%CD%" CD /D "%~dp0" :-------------------------------------- rem pause takeown /f "C:\Windows.old" /r icacls "C:\Windows.old" /reset /T attrib -r -a -s -h C:\Windows.old /S /D RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old[/quote]

gvp9000, Oct 22, 2016
Thema:

1. W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory? - Similar Threads - W10 Anniversary Update

2. Delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  3. Deleting Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Directory: I am logged in as an Administrator and I cannot delete a directory- I don't have permission. I checked in to properties and it says Administrators have Full Access. It also shows Trusted Installers have Full access - who is that???? How do I uninstall a directory ? Thanks...
  4. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  5. Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10: I never received a activation/product key for my version of W10 which was downloaded from the official Microsoft website over a year ago. How can I proceed to upgrade to the latest Anniversary update as I don`t have the required key/code. Thanks in advance. 58473
  6. Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?: PC is up to date, downloaded the anniversary update via windows update. PC restarts and acts like its installing and it goes back to build 1511? I tried downloading the manual installer and same thing, doesn't seem like anyone had this problem yet? The manual...
  7. WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version: I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is working fine. but when i try to turn off the computer, it won't. the screen goes black, but 30 seconds later if i touch the mouse,...
  8. Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files: Yesterday I did the new 1607 [14393.10] update and today noticed my Pictures folder is empty. Other things like My Documents and that sort of thing are as they were and untouched. I used Disk Cleanup right after the update and fear those pictures may have been part of the...
  9. From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up

From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up: After upgrading from w10 to w10 creator (1703) can I delete windows old and windows10upgrade folders? Of course after checking that everything works well. Thank you very much 91877
  10. W10 Pro Update - Multiple "WINDOWS" directories?

W10 Pro Update - Multiple "WINDOWS" directories?: Hey guys*. Since my Windows 10 updated to version 1703 (build 15063.502) I now have multiple "Windows" folders within my C drive. Windows (main installation folder) $WINDOWS.~BT Windows.old Windows10Upgrade I am unsure of which is safe to delete because all three of...