Windows 10: W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

Discus and support W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Make a backup first... Then try this script. Copy it and save it into a notepad file. Rename it to whatever_you_like.bat Run it and press yes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ken429, Aug 4, 2016.

1. steve2470 Win User

W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory?

[/quote] I had the same problem as the OP did, and your script worked like a charm. I had to run it twice to complete the entire process. I did it with Build 14971.

steve2470, Nov 19, 2016
  2. Maggidon Win User

Interesting. What does one do to run it? It seems removing the Windows.old Folder even after Windows has automatically removed the contents, can cause the computer not to reboot. Why does Microsoft have it this way. This Windows.old file should simply be able to be removed and no problems. But others have had grief where their computers will not reboot after removing Windows.old.
    And what about this Folder called Windows10Upgrade? Is it safe to remove this one or will this cause the computer to suddenly burst into a ball of flame?

Maggidon, Apr 26, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've had some trouble in the past removing the Windows.old folder, but I have never had a computer fail to boot after removing it. For really stubborn folders that don't want to delete, I boot into either Kyhi's recovery tools or a Linux USB flash drive and delete them from there. Windows 10 Upgrade folder can definitely be removed, that is just the upgrade assistant program.

NavyLCDR, Apr 26, 2017
  4. Maggidon Win User

Microsoft just cleaned up my Windows.old Folder which left me with with 15 Gigs of free space. Before Windows automatically cleaned it up, it was showing 32 plus Gigs of space in that folder. After the automatic cleanup in, not 10 days or 30 days but 14 days, the Folders are still there. I just got off the phone with Microsoft Support and they're telling me not to remove either of those Folders (Windows.old / Windows10Upgrade). They're saying because of previous problems with removing that, Microsoft has changed the rules and advising people (and aliens) not to remove it now.
    I'm one of the ones who did indeed have serious problems after removing it last time with the Anniversary Update. My computer simply wouldn't reboot.
    So I am going to take the advice of Microsoft and leave them there folders right where they are. I'll still be interested to hear the reaction to this.

Maggidon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Anniversary Update - delete windows.old directory? - Similar Threads - W10 Anniversary Update

2. Delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  3. Deleting Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Directory: I am logged in as an Administrator and I cannot delete a directory- I don't have permission. I checked in to properties and it says Administrators have Full Access. It also shows Trusted Installers have Full access - who is that???? How do I uninstall a directory ? Thanks...
  4. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  5. Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10: I never received a activation/product key for my version of W10 which was downloaded from the official Microsoft website over a year ago. How can I proceed to upgrade to the latest Anniversary update as I don`t have the required key/code. Thanks in advance. 58473
  6. Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?: PC is up to date, downloaded the anniversary update via windows update. PC restarts and acts like its installing and it goes back to build 1511? I tried downloading the manual installer and same thing, doesn't seem like anyone had this problem yet? The manual...
  7. WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version: I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is working fine. but when i try to turn off the computer, it won't. the screen goes black, but 30 seconds later if i touch the mouse,...
  8. Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update Deleted My Pictures Files: Yesterday I did the new 1607 [14393.10] update and today noticed my Pictures folder is empty. Other things like My Documents and that sort of thing are as they were and untouched. I used Disk Cleanup right after the update and fear those pictures may have been part of the...
  9. From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up

From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up: After upgrading from w10 to w10 creator (1703) can I delete windows old and windows10upgrade folders? Of course after checking that everything works well. Thank you very much 91877
  10. W10 Pro Update - Multiple "WINDOWS" directories?

W10 Pro Update - Multiple "WINDOWS" directories?: Hey guys*. Since my Windows 10 updated to version 1703 (build 15063.502) I now have multiple "Windows" folders within my C drive. Windows (main installation folder) $WINDOWS.~BT Windows.old Windows10Upgrade I am unsure of which is safe to delete because all three of...