Windows 10: W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive

Discus and support W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone ! :) This is going to be a doozy so please bare with me! First of all, here is my build : Motherboard : AsRock X570 Taichi CPU : AMD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ezyriel, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Ezyriel Win User

W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive

Hello everyone ! W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive :)

This is going to be a doozy so please bare with me!

First of all, here is my build :

Motherboard : AsRock X570 Taichi
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 3800X
    CPU Cooler : be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    SSD : Samsung Pro 970 NVME M.2
    RAM : GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3600 MHZ CL 16
    PSU : EVGA Supernova G3 750W 80 Gold+
    GPU : Radeon 5700XT Powercolor Red Devil

Alright so I'll do my best to write everything I know about my case.

Around 10 days ago I decided to do my first PC build which happened without an issue. Followed a couple of tutorials, was very careful, everything was fine.
    Decided to boot Windows 10 taken from the official Microsoft website from a USB drive and installed it, no worries here too.
    My system ran fine for I'd say 5/6 days when all of a sudden, while I was watching Youtube, my PC shuts down with the BSOD : "System Service Exception"

I didn't pay much mind to it but silly was I to think that it was the end... From that point onward, I wouldn't be able to boot normally.
    Following this first BSOD, I'd try to boot normally and sometimes I'd reach the desktop before the BSOD appears, sometimes it'd happen during the boot itself after the Windows logo appears and it even happened during while I was navigating the options to run into Safe Mode.

Here is an exhaustive list of all the BSOD I encountered :

- SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
    - System Thread Exception Not Handled
    - System Thread Exception Not Handled (NETIO.SYS)
    - driver irql not less or equal
    - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    - kernel security check failure
    - SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION wpprecorder.sys

It got worse and worse up to the point now where I just can't do anything and I'm stuck on a boot-loop with the BSOD : System Thread Exception Not Handled

Naturally I searched online to find a solution to my problem but most of them advised steps I cannot perform. Kindly refer below to the troubleshooting list I did :

1. Tried RAMS one after the other with MEMTEST = Returned 0 errors
    2. Tried to override the Windows installation with a fresh install from a USB drive correctly formatted = BSOD System Thread Exception Not Handled when I try to boot from the USB stick.
    3. Updated my AsRock BIOS to its latest version 3.80 from the official AsRock website = Same result
    4. Tried various combinations of settings within the BIOS (CSM/Secure Boot disabled/enabled, trying with CSM enabled but with Legacy settings only, disabling integrated Wi-Fi, changing RAM Mhz, RAM voltage) = Same issue remains
    5. Put Ubuntu on the USB drive to check if Windows was the issue and Ubuntu booted without a problem. Tried the command sudo os-prober = Returned nothing at all after punching Enter, just went to the next line with nothing happening whatsoever which I believe means that Windows cannot be found / is corrupted.
    6. Did a Secure Erase of the NVME and seeing that it didn't change anything, did a sanitization of it = Nothing changed, still BSOD (same message)
    7. Went on tb.rg-adguard.net to grab an old version of Windows, thinking that the older drivers would be more peaceful with my PC (since at that time I thought that my PC crashed while downloading drivers in the background) = Same blue screen
    8. Tried to use Hiren's Boot CD to access a lite/safe environment of Windows to try and repair something = Same problem.
    9. Did one last clear CMOS so now all the motherboard values are at default, no overclocking applied.

Now whenever I try to boot any Windows version (be it an old one or the most recent from Microsoft), I'm facing = SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

I'd like to precise one thing that may be of importance : While my build was running, I played some games (mainly Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice) on Ultra crystal clear, no problem happened. During the check of my hardware, I realised that one of the 4 pins connectors to my CPU wasn't plugged in so my CPU was powered only by a 4+4 pin. Plugging the additional 4 pins connectors didn't solve the issue either.
    Maybe it was a huge mistake on my end but since my system never showed any symptoms from not being fully powered, I'm doubting that it'd be the cause of what's happening since the problem happened while I was demanding far less power from the system.

Throughout my researches, I've encountered some threads where the issue was hardware related ; replacing the CPU or the motherboard did the trick which I'm reluctant to do (but that I'd do if that's what must be done)
    Here are the threads links : Different blue screen every time when booting from USB | Tom's Hardware Forum
    AND : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5352f86?page=2

As the title mentions, I'm at wit's end... I've been at it for 5 days now and I'm still not sure if it's hardware related or if I could somehow overwrite Windows with a fresh installation through some magic trick. Maybe Windows is buried so far deep into my system that changing the hardware is inevitable, I don't know...

I'm open to any suggestions that I may not have thought about, anything to help me, I'll gladly take it!

Thank you for your time and I hope my post was detailed enough without making you snore in the middle! W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive :) May you have a good day or night! W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive :)

:)

Ezyriel, Jan 23, 2021

2. system thread exception not handled / ntfs.sys

Hey, thanks again for the reply!

Please check my 2nd bullet point, with the 2 notes.

-----------

• W10 1809 media creation tool - boots but results in the same error.
    1. Note 1: if I disconnect SSD1, HDD1 (W10 drive systems) the W10 USB can boot!
    2. Note 2: while using W10 USB, If I attempt to reconnect either drive I get BSOD (system thread exception not handled - ntfs.sys)

peter_foss, Jan 23, 2021
  3. system thread exception not handled / ntfs.sys

Good day everyone,

thank you for taking a look at this subject.

It seems like a difficult one & a solution is hard to find. I will explain below.

First my PC spec

SSD1 -> ATA Patriot Burst ---------------------------- (Newest W10 installation, January 2019)

HDD1 -> ATA Hitachi HDS72105 (500gb) -------- (Olderst W10 installation, Somewhere 2017)

HDD2 -> ATA WDC WD2500YS-01S (250gb) -- (Linux Mint 19.1, works fine)

HDD3 -> ATA WDC WD5003AZEX-0 (500gb) --- (Storage, games)

MOBO ---> P67-DS3-B3

GPU -----> AMD HD5750 - Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

CPU -----> i3 2100

RAM ----> 8GB (2*2gb and 1*4gb, @ 1600Mhz)

-----------------------

Alright, in contrary to my earlier post/topic I'll try to keep it short and clean.

Please bear with me W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive :)

What happened

About 7 days ago I was using W10 on my newly purchased SSD1, installed the MOBO/Chipset drivers as well as latest AMD driver Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta.

It was working quite fine, played a game of CS:GO as well.

Then I decided to restart and use W10 on HDD1, I logged in... did a couple things and went idle.

Then I got a BSOD with the message "system thread exception not handled - ntfs.sys".

Keeping calm I tried to used W10 on the HDD1 again but unsuccessfully.

After that, I tried to use W10 on SSD1 & got the same message? hmmm

What I tried

• Check for MiniDump files (using Linux Mint on HDD2), unfortunately the folders on both drives (SSD1, HDD1) were empty.
    • W10 1809 media creation tool - boots but results in the same error.
      1. Note 1: if I disconnect SSD1, HDD1 (W10 drive systems) the W10 USB can boot!
      2. Note 2: while using W10 USB, If I attempt to reconnect either drive I get BSOD (system thread exception not handled - ntfs.sys)
    • Shut down the PC while W10 is loading 2 times, in order to boot in Safe Mode. Doesn't boot.
    • Disconnect SSD1, HDD1
      1. install W10 on HDD2, boot successfully on W10 HDD2
      2. install EasyBCD, in hopes that would help -
        W10 HDD2 was working well up to this point.
      3. Power off, reconnect SATA cables of SSD1, HDD1
      4. Boot W10 HDD2 successfully for 3 seconds on desktop
      5. BSOD system thread exception not handled - ntfs.sys
    --------------------

Now I'm currently lost. Thankfully I can access the files on both SSD1 & HDD1 but I can't seem to fix the OS.

If you 've read until this point, thank you.

I hope we can find a solution.

Best regards,

Peter

peter_foss, Jan 23, 2021
  4. W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive

System Thread Exception Not Handled?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

The System Thread Exception Not Handled error in Windows mostly occur due to incompatible or old graphics card drivers. System Thread Exception Not Handled error is often displayed along with the Blue Screen of Death

I suggest you to boot into Safe Mode environment and update your graphic drivers.

Method 1: Update drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters.
    • Right-click on the graphics
      card
      and click on Update driver software.

You may also download the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website and install them on your computer.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Method 2:

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive

1. W10 BSOD System Thread Exception not Handled even from USB Drive - Similar Threads - W10 BSOD System

2. BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED: Hello, I was on google chrome with many tabs and application open when my computer gave me a BSOD.I went and updated the graphics driver and the network drivers through device manager. It said I had the best installed one. I looked at the event logger to try and find the...
  3. BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED: Hello, I was on google chrome with many tabs and application open when my computer gave me a BSOD.I went and updated the graphics driver and the network drivers through device manager. It said I had the best installed one. I looked at the event logger to try and find the...
  4. BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD system exception thread not handled

BSOD system exception thread not handled: HELP! Every time my laptop powers on it BSOD and shows the error code 'system exception thread not handled'. It will then auto-restart and work fine after this. Any ideas on how I can fix this initial boot issue would be great!...
  6. System Thread Exception Not Handled BSOD

System Thread Exception Not Handled BSOD: Recently I've been getting the BSOD with the message "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" and stopcode: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. At first this happened maybe once a week, but it has gotten more and more frequent. Links to the dmp files:...
  7. BSOD system thread exception not handled

BSOD system thread exception not handled: My PC just had a BSOD. While following instructions from another post and running verifier my PC was stuck in a crash loop. Booted up after system restore kicked in, good thing I didn't skip the restore point step. I uploaded a .rar with 3 files: the MSinfo32, the older DMP...
  8. BSOD system thread exception not handled

BSOD system thread exception not handled: Hello :) I recently god this BSOD in an endless loop: STOP CODE: system thread exception not handled win ver: 2004 19041.572 I attach the V2 log as requested. Hopefully you can help me solve this issue. thank you so much! DESKTOP-HOLLOWC-(2020-12-11_20-19-28).zip 170250
  9. BSOD System thread exception not handled.

BSOD System thread exception not handled.: Hello everyone! I'm here with an issue, that came up yesterday afternoon. There was a windows update, PC restarted, and I left it sitting idle for a while, like 40 minutes or so. After I came back, it was sitting on the wimdows restore screen, telling me it failed to...
  10. BSOD System thread exception not handled

BSOD System thread exception not handled: So, a few weeks ago I had a problem with daily blue screens. That problem got fixed since it was a driver that was the problem. Just now, I had another blue screen but this time it was a differant problem. I looked in the events but unfortantly I cannot see what the problem...