Windows 10: W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name

Discus and support W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed a program for my programming. Now, Instead of seeing the file TYPE label in the file type column - I see the Company Name + Program name.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Karen Callahan, Jan 20, 2021.

1. W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name

I installed a program for my programming. Now, Instead of seeing the file TYPE label in the file type column - I see the Company Name + Program name. Instead of PHP or JS, I see JetBrains PHPStorm.

How can I remove the product name and set the type back to PHP or JS or whatever. The actual file type.

Every search I have done returns info re: changing file extensions and file associations - not locking down the W10 file types so that they cannot be changed by a random product.

TIA

Karen

:)

Karen Callahan, Jan 20, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name [​IMG]

3. arejfour Win User
    W10 documents listing files by type

In W10 documents folder I would like to list/group the files by file type e.g. PDF, Excel, Word, etc. I did that in Vista but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in W10. I look forward to anyone's comments. Thanks

arejfour, Jan 20, 2021
  4. W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name

file types for HTPC

which one would you consider the best file type for HTPC movies and tv shows?

best= quality of picture and audio

copenhagen69, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name

1. W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name - Similar Threads - W10 Change FILE

2. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  3. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  4. Incorrect labeling of file types in downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect labeling of file types in downloads: Hello - I need a CSV file to upload to a platform that only takes CSV files. Not Microsoft Excel CSV files. CSV.I know the difference between Excel and CSV.I know how to Save As. And export. And change the filename. And add a file extension.The problem is that whenever I do...
  5. Incorrect labeling of file types in downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect labeling of file types in downloads: Hello - I need a CSV file to upload to a platform that only takes CSV files. Not Microsoft Excel CSV files. CSV.I know the difference between Excel and CSV.I know how to Save As. And export. And change the filename. And add a file extension.The problem is that whenever I do...
  6. Changing the file type assocation for a file

Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  7. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  8. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  9. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...