Windows 10: W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps

Discus and support W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MWombat, Oct 24, 2019.

1. MWombat Win User

W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps

Hello All,
    At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install.
    Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed something out. Thanks.

Current set up : W7 Pro plenty of RAM, and Pentium I7. 3 SSds – one with just OS the other 2 for storage – all formatted in NTFS
    Actions:
    Download latest W10 via MCT to flash drive.
    Back up everything to external drive
    Change BIOS boot order to Flash drive
    Disconnect all 3 SSds
    Reformat OS SSd to GPT [Previously W10 wouldn’t install to my Laptop until I reformatted to GPT] - AOMI partition manager did the trick for me before for a W10 install on another laptop]
    Reconnect OS SSd
    Install W10 from flash drive
    Reconnect 2 storage SSds.

One final question. The 2 storage SSds are NTFS. Will I have to reformat them to GPT or will they be all OK to work alongside the OS SSd which will be GPT ?

Thanks.

:)

MWombat, Oct 24, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 24, 2019
  4. MWombat Win User

Advice Please on Clean Install of W10

Hello All, my first forum post.
    The time is fast approaching when I will upgrade from W7 to W10.
    My W7 Pro is a legitimate copy.
    I want to do a clean instal rather than the 'upgrade.
    Currently I have 3 SSDs - SSD1 is W7 OS only, the remaining 2 SSDs contain various personal files.
    I would be keen to install W10 on SSD1 and totally replace W7 ie no dual boot.
    I understand of course that I will need to purchase W10 key etc.
    Could someone please help with what the best way is to do this and if possible list the detailed steps involved - although I am sure somewhere in the forum this has been addressed before I cant find exactly what I need.
    Thanks,

MWombat, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

1. W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps - Similar Threads - W10 Clean Instal

2. Detailed steps for this Microsoft Doc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Detailed steps for this Microsoft Doc: Hello.I am looking to get unrestricted teredo on my PC. I found this Microsoft Doc and saw the 4 points at the beginning. However, I am no tech expert, so can anyone please give me detailed steps on how to do it?...
  3. Detailed steps for this Microsoft Doc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Detailed steps for this Microsoft Doc: Hello.I am looking to get unrestricted teredo on my PC. I found this Microsoft Doc and saw the 4 points at the beginning. However, I am no tech expert, so can anyone please give me detailed steps on how to do it?...
  4. W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  5. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  6. Detailed practical step-by-step security guides for WIndows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Detailed practical step-by-step security guides for WIndows 10: Hi, Does someone know any other complex and well explained step-by-step with practical examples guide for Windows 10 security like this one? Harden Windows 10 - A Security Guide. How to secure Windows 10 It would be great if the guide is explained like for a...
  7. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  8. Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Clean install W10 on Surface Pro: While clean installing W10 on Surface Pro, the following message was returned. Pressed Windows key but nothing happened. The bootable USB install drive was created by Media Creation Tool from MS. I also tried Recovery USB drive created from the Surface Pro machine but the...
  9. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...