Windows 10: W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices

Discus and support W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows version 1903 My computer freezes while gaming. It ONLY happens when I'm playing games.. Randomly, The screen will freeze, lights and input to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mycompcrashes, Oct 18, 2019.

1. W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices

Windows version 1903

My computer freezes while gaming. It ONLY happens when I'm playing games.. Randomly, The screen will freeze, lights and input to USB devices (mouse and keyboard) cut completely, and theres nothing I can do except hard-reboot my computer by holding down the power button. I've been checking the event viewer for a while now, trying to figure this out without asking for help. I've even re-installed windows to try and rid this problem.

I have two SSD's in RAID not sure if that matters... But I have all my games on an external HD. My CPU is watercooled, and It never gets above 85 Fahrenheit, So I really don't think overheating is the issue.

This most recent time that it happened, which was about twenty minutes ago, I was playing a game and it crashed, and then my computer just had a solid beep, I don't think there were any short ones, or any variations of the beeping whatsoever. It was just a solid beep, nonstop until reboot.

Event viewer has a log seemingly at the time of the crash, Which says,

"A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices."

And then on the same tick, also has

"The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem."

This makes me think the crashes are somehow related to my Razer Kraken USB-Gaming headset.. But I'm honestly clueless at this point. I've tried re-seating my graphics card, and that's it. I haven't tried to clear CMOS, or re-seat RAM.

:)

mycompcrashes, Oct 18, 2019

2. Computer freezing/rebooting when inserting USB devices

Just about 90% of the time when I plug in a USB device (external HD, ipod, etc) my computer will just lock up...can't move mouse, can't even control alt delete...nothing so of course I'm forced to reboot.

I haven't found many solutions except the one Linked Here. So I make the notepad dialog and add it to the registry, but then the second step is to "Unplug ALL usb devices" and proceed to Device Manager to "Uninstall all devices under USB controllers" well both my mouse and keyboard are USB devices, so obviously if I unplug them nothing works, so I just attempt to uninstall what I can and of course eventually it uninstalls the drivers for my mouse and keyboard therefore rendering them useless... I have no idea what to do but this is extremely annoying and I refuse to accept it. I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB 3
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
    12GB Ram
    All "important updates" are installed (windows update) but I know this isn't the problem because I had about 25 to install for months now and never had these USB errors.

Obviously I'd like to avoid doing a clean install of my OS but if that's what I have to do Ill do it.

cctaylor88, Oct 18, 2019
  3. I cannot see how much power USB devices draw

Hi Suat,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Perform the following steps, as applicable, to troubleshoot USB devices that are not working correctly:

• Power: If the USB device operates on battery power,
      make sure all the power connections are secure and the power cord is connected to a power source.
    • Test the USB connection: Sometimes, simply disconnecting and reconnecting the USB device to the computer can solve the problem:

• Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.
      • With all USB devices disconnected, do one of the following:
        • If you have a desktop computer, connect the device that is not working correctly to one of the USB ports on the back of the computer (the ports attached directly to the motherboard).
        • If you have a notebook computer, connect the device that is not working correctly to a USB port on the notebook. Do not use a USB port replicator (such as a docking station or USB hub).

What happens when the device is connected?

• The device works correctly: The problem is most likely related to power or poor overall system performance.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 18, 2019
  4. W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices

USB Device taking up too much power, must disconnect

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to reinstall the USB drivers and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + X, and select Device Manager
    • Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section by clicking on the
      "+" sign.
    • Uninstall each of the devices under the
      USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking
      Uninstall.
    • Close the Device Manager and
      restart your computer. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer will now run USB devices properly.
    Also update chipset drivers for USB for windows 10 from the manufacturer’s website.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and select the
      option on the left pane.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts.
    Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices

1. W10 - Computer freezes completely, cuts all input/power to USB devices - Similar Threads - W10 Computer freezes

2. Why is my omen computer suddenly losing input to all USB devices & HDMI input?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my omen computer suddenly losing input to all USB devices & HDMI input?: I have a Omen 30L desktop computer with a huge issue. Whenever I am gaming everything shuts off but the computer. To go into dept every USB device stops working and thr HDMI becomes not readable but the computer stays running but has no response to the power button forcing me...
  3. Why is my omen computer suddenly losing input to all USB devices & HDMI input?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my omen computer suddenly losing input to all USB devices & HDMI input?: I have a Omen 30L desktop computer with a huge issue. Whenever I am gaming everything shuts off but the computer. To go into dept every USB device stops working and thr HDMI becomes not readable but the computer stays running but has no response to the power button forcing me...
  4. USB sound completely not working at all, USBs cutting out randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB sound completely not working at all, USBs cutting out randomly.: At first I thought this was only native to my Rift S Headset which is known to have USB Power problems.. However recently I've been hit multiple times with my internet adapter getting cut, headset USB getting cut or keyboard, I've disabled all things to do with any power...
  5. USB sound completely not working at all, USBs cutting out randomly.

USB sound completely not working at all, USBs cutting out randomly.: At first I thought this was only native to my Rift S Headset which is known to have USB Power problems.. However recently I've been hit multiple times with my internet adapter getting cut, headset USB getting cut or keyboard, I've disabled all things to do with any power...
  6. USB sound completely not working at all, USBs cutting out randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. USB Devices KB, Mouse Cut Out Input But Still Recieve Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Devices KB, Mouse Cut Out Input But Still Recieve Power: Randomly, my mouse and keyboard have just been ceasing all input for seemingly no reason at all. It persists even when unplugging and trying other slots, the lights turn on and my keyboard and mouse play their animations, but I cannot control my computer using them. I can...
  8. USB Devices KB, Mouse Cut Out Input But Still Recieve Power

USB Devices KB, Mouse Cut Out Input But Still Recieve Power: Randomly, my mouse and keyboard have just been ceasing all input for seemingly no reason at all. It persists even when unplugging and trying other slots, the lights turn on and my keyboard and mouse play their animations, but I cannot control my computer using them. I can...
  9. USB Devices KB, Mouse Cut Out Input But Still Recieve Power

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. All input devices keep cutting out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All input devices keep cutting out: Every single one of my input devices including the webcam microphone randomly cut out every second or so. However, this problem only occurs in games that have VOIP and voice chatting apps like discord, when I enable "Listen to this device" in the control panel and also the...