Windows 10: W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers.

Discus and support W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey all, for some reason, on Windows 10 Pro, I'm always getting file association/open with popups when I open the same files I must have associated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HelgenX, Jun 20, 2018.

1. HelgenX Win User

W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers.

Hey all, for some reason, on Windows 10 Pro, I'm always getting file association/open with popups when I open the same files I must have associated dozens of times before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Like for instance, I open all of my JPG files with the classic photo viewer (like from W7,) and I have associated it dozens of times as I've said before, but it asks me again and again which program I want to open them with.

Looking forward to your responses,

Helgen.

:)

HelgenX, Jun 20, 2018

2. Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Create a new file with any extension and save it on any location.

2) Next Open Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the default programs icon.

3) Click/tap on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    link.

4) Either double click/tap on the file extension or protocol, or click/tap on the file extension or protocol and click/tap on the
    Change Program button of the one you want to change the "current default' program association of.

5) If the program you want to associate is not listed, then click/tap on the
    More Options
    link if available.

6) Click/tap on a listed program that you want to associate.

7) If you associated a program, then you will see this below as "Set Associations" updates and reloads.

8) Once it is done go back to the file which you have created and delete the file.

9) Go to default programs and refresh the set association programs. It should show as other unknown.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jun 20, 2018
  3. File association not sticking

Hi Grant,

For us to narrow down your concern with file association, we would like to know the following:

• When did the issue first begin?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 20, 2018
  4. W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers.

How to change HTML File Associations from Edge to IE in Windows 10?

Hi,

I realize that you want to change HTML File Associations from Edge to Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I will try to help you with this issue.

Follow these steps to make changes in the Control Panel and check if that helps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Default programs.

• Click on Associated a file type with a program.

• Scroll down to select HTML file and click on change program.

• Select Internet Explorer and click ok.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 20, 2018
Thema:

W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers.

1. W10 constantly changing file associations on two different computers. - Similar Threads - W10 constantly changing

2. desktop on two different computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop on two different computers: I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this or if this is a Office 365 question.I have windows 10 on my main computer and on a laptop that I use to run a powerpoint presentation. Both are connected to my Microsoft account to enable me to use word, power point,...
  3. desktop on two different computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop on two different computers: I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this or if this is a Office 365 question.I have windows 10 on my main computer and on a laptop that I use to run a powerpoint presentation. Both are connected to my Microsoft account to enable me to use word, power point,...
  4. desktop on two different computers

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Two Computers, Different Versions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Computers, Different Versions: Hi! I have two computers in the Windows Insider Program. Both of them have been upgraded to Windows 11, but apparently different versions. COMPUTER 1: Lenovo Desktop AIO, A12 Processor, Windows Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 22478.rs_prerelease.211008-1414.COMPUETR 2:...
  6. Two computers have different files on OneDrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two computers have different files on OneDrive.: Awhile ago, I found had both SkyDrive and OneDrive storage locations on my computer. The SkyDrive contained files from Windows 8.1, and the OneDrive had files stored since I installed Windows 10. So I moved the files from SkyDrive to OneDrive I think and deleted the...
  7. Different Passwords for Two Computers

Different Passwords for Two Computers: I recently changed the password to my Microsoft Account, which I use to sign into my desktop computer. I have it set to sync across all devices. However, whenever I log into my laptop computer, I need to put in the old password. Yet, it shows I'm signed into my Microsoft...
  8. Associate different Microsoft accout to W10 Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate different Microsoft accout to W10 Desktop: Hello, I have a work computer that I set up a while back with my personal email address. Everything's working good... but it uses my personal Onedrive and I would like to separate my personal and work stuff. I have created a new Microsoft account for work to keep things...
  9. Changing file association

Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  10. file association change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644