Windows 10: W10 desktop forgets network while asleep

Discus and support W10 desktop forgets network while asleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro. 10.0.18362 Build 18362 - Home desktop machine. My machine sleeps as designed, but forgets our home network on wake, despite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Buzzmaven, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Buzzmaven Win User

W10 desktop forgets network while asleep

Windows 10 Pro. 10.0.18362 Build 18362 - Home desktop machine.

My machine sleeps as designed, but forgets our home network on wake, despite "connect automatically" being on and no other open WIFI networks anywhere in range. The result is no WIFI connection and the globe showing in the task bar. I have to manually find the network and reconnect every time it wakes.

This happens on both the 2.4g and 5g speeds. Connect automatically is set to "on" and I have no other network issues, with 9 other devices happily working. Our other two W10 pro computers have no issues on wake.

~~

Interesting clue: If I use network troubleshooter in this scenario, it will attempt to fix the issue by connecting to WIFI networks I've used elsewhere in the city on my laptop instead of the high power WIFI signal right here at home it was connected to prior to sleeping. I'm assuming that Microsoft is syncing wifi network list over my MS account.

How can I resolve this so my machine connects to this 5-bar WIFI right next to it like every other machine on my network?

:)

Buzzmaven, Nov 4, 2019

2. Forget a WiFi Network

Hi Jess,

Windows 10 saves a list of Wi-Fi networks you connect to along with their passwords and other settings. If you want to manage or delete a certain network, just follow the steps provided below:

• Type Settings on the search box.
    • Click Network & Internet.
    • Click Wi-Fi on the left pane of the Network & Internet window.
    • Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
    • Select the network name and click Forget.

Note: Since you can't remember the network name you've connected with, you can consider forgetting all saved Wi-Fi networks on your PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Justine Pel, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Phillip Roos, Nov 4, 2019
  4. W10 desktop forgets network while asleep

i accidentally clicked on "forget this connection". How to recover it on windows 10

Hi Liau,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with
    recovering to wireless network on Windows 10.

This issue might occur if saved wireless network is removed the network list.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "forget this connection", are you referring that you have clicked on forget this connection option for the save wireless network? Have you tried to save the network again?

If you are trying to automatically connect to wireless network connection or save a network, then I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Click on network icon in the Taskbar.

2. Then click on the wireless network which you want to connect.

3. Check mark on Connect automatically and then click on
    Connect
    button.

Please get back to us with an update on recovering network
    issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

W10 desktop forgets network while asleep

1. W10 desktop forgets network while asleep - Similar Threads - W10 desktop forgets

2. Computer crashes while asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes while asleep: When I wake up the computer after a long sleep overnight, for example, it sometimes opens such that:-Chrome has been closed-Most edge tabs have been closed-All open Notepad files have been replaced by Unnamed files-All Word files have been closed, even if they weren't...
  3. Computer crashes while asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes while asleep: When I wake up the computer after a long sleep overnight, for example, it sometimes opens such that:-Chrome has been closed-Most edge tabs have been closed-All open Notepad files have been replaced by Unnamed files-All Word files have been closed, even if they weren't...
  4. My wifi disconnects while asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi disconnects while asleep: What's up y'all. I got a new lenovo ideapad flex 5 running windows 11 and it disconnects from the wifi on sleep mode. does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-disconnects-while-asleep/92b823fb-b509-4189-bd95-dd79f04712cc
  5. My wifi disconnects while asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My wifi disconnects while asleep: What's up y'all. I got a new lenovo ideapad flex 5 running windows 11 and it disconnects from the wifi on sleep mode. does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-disconnects-while-asleep/92b823fb-b509-4189-bd95-dd79f04712cc
  6. W10 forgets about window positioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 forgets about window positioning: Windows 10 Pro 64bits 1909 18363.1316 (No, don't tell me to go 2003 because it messed up some drivers on a previous 1909 to 2003 upgrade, like Phone detection via USB among other things like half screen vertically blacked out when pressing Win+S) Let's say that if i open a...
  7. W10 Hello "forgets" settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Hello "forgets" settings: When I try to set up Windows Hello of any kind (such as Pincode, face id, fingerprint etc.) then this will work fine. For an hour or 2. After setting up Windows Hello for example Pincode then I am enabled to lock and unlock my computer with the Pincode also when I reboot I...
  8. Desktop will not stay asleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop will not stay asleep: Since I put a wired mouse in b/c my wireless one failed, the pc won't stay asleep. I since put the wireless one in and after a Logitech driver install the wireless one works. I down loaded the driver from Logitech and set pint -it is a M310 and keyboard is K520 No trouble...
  9. File backup while system is asleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File backup while system is asleep: I have my Windows 10 PC set up to go to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I am trying to decide on some file backup software. I have looked at Aoemi and the software that came with my Western Digital external drive. None of them seem to work while the system is asleep....
  10. Backup while PC asleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup while PC asleep: I have scheduled my PC, running Windows 10, to backup to an external hard disk at 2am. As I am sure you know, having read so many complaints on different websites, this doesn't work because the PC is in sleep mode and doesn't wake up to perform the task. The result is...