W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.

Discus and support W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that cropped up is when using W10's disk image utility to make a system image. I deliberately wished to place the image on a separate partition on the single HDD in use and W10 lists the partition as available but understandably doesn't recommend it because its on the same HDD as the OS. That said it still offers the location for use and allows the creation of the backup. All goes well until the last percentage point on the progress bar when it reports the following error saying the shadow copy is on another volume. If I check the actual location where I wanted the backup to be made (the partition on the main HDD) I find it is there, however, exiting and restarting the Disk Image utility then brings a message that no backups have been found. The backup file that is viewable in explorer is of the expected size (the free space is down by the expected amount) and so it appears to be 'real' but W10 can't see it.

Making a backup to plugged in USB drive has no such problem and is error free .

[​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Jun 14, 2015
  2. Garry G. Green (The Real One) Win User

Using SIM (System Image Manager) from ADK 10.0.10240.16384 and mounting INSTALL.WIM error

I used the MS Media Creation Tool to download my copy of W10. I downloaded an ISO. I've used this ISO to install W10.

I then mounted the above ISO and extracted SOURCES\INSTALL.WIM to a folder on my hard disk.

I then downloaded the MS ADK - version 10.0.10240.16384 and installed it. It supposedly is the latest.

I ran SIM (System Image Manager) to create an automation file for use with SYSPREP, and attempted to load the above extracted INSTALL.WIM that was provided by MS. I get an error "an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

When will this bug be fixed. Currently W10 cannot be SYSPREP'd as automation XML files can't be created using MS supplied utilities.

Is there a patch for the ADK/SIM? Any time lines for fixing this

Garry G. Green (The Real One), Jun 14, 2015
  3. Alan Win10 Win User
    System Image too large / high disk utilization

Running W10 on an i7 Alienware. System image taking up taking up 525+Gb which after actual working files leaves only about 45Gb free on drive. Change System Image Settings button is greyed out even though I'm logged on as administrator. Disk cleanup
    says it could recover another 10Gb but just hangs. Task Manager performance almost always shows disk being used 96-100% of the time. Neither full McAfee or any of the freebie malware I tried finds any virus. Any solution to this high disk utilization and
    System image taking up around 70% of the hard disc?

Alan Win10, Jun 14, 2015
Thema:

W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.

W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. - Similar Threads - W10 Disk Image

1. Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt

in Windows 10 Support
    Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt: For some reason my W10 System Disk (SSD) is set up as an MBR Disk. My separate Data disk (HDD) is GPT. I know how to convert the System Disk to GPT using Minitools Partition Wizard. If I do that to the SSD will I loose the W10 installation? And is there any advantage to doing...
  2. W10 Diskpart/disk list

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Diskpart/disk list: Hi to all and thank you to Spunk and Navy LCDR - Issue almost resolved from your help. I have just installed, in my notebook an old SSD EVO 850 Samsung as a 'second' separate SSD to use for a back-up. When I try to use Diskpart to clean this SSD I encounter a hitch....
  3. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  4. If you recovered W10 using a disk image please check......

in Windows 10 Support
    If you recovered W10 using a disk image please check......: that your Windows Update history is intact and correctly displayed. There seems to be a problem with W10 backup and restore that may involve two possible scenarios, although I can't say for certain at this time whether the second is a real issue or imagined. The...
  5. After W10 upgrade a month ago the disk is very busy when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    After W10 upgrade a month ago the disk is very busy when idle: Re: Sony VAIO laptop, model VGN-NW265F, 4GB RAM. If you want any other info. please let me know. I wiped disk and did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional and waited over a month before upgrading to W10 in mid-January 2016. During that month prior to upgrade Win 7...
  6. Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?: I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the install still create the W7 image in case I want to go back to W7 after installing W10? Also, do I boot from the disk or...
  7. Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk: I'm working on an HP laptop whose Windows installation has been damaged following the user falling for the Microsoft scam. Having made several attempts at repairing the damage without success, the obvious solution is to reinstall Windows. And here's the problem: I have a...
W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. solved