Windows 10: W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.

Discus and support W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.

I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that cropped up is when using W10's disk image utility to make a system image. I deliberately wished to place the image on a separate partition on the single HDD in use and W10 lists the partition as available but understandably doesn't recommend it because its on the same HDD as the OS. That said it still offers the location for use and allows the creation of the backup. All goes well until the last percentage point on the progress bar when it reports the following error saying the shadow copy is on another volume. If I check the actual location where I wanted the backup to be made (the partition on the main HDD) I find it is there, however, exiting and restarting the Disk Image utility then brings a message that no backups have been found. The backup file that is viewable in explorer is of the expected size (the free space is down by the expected amount) and so it appears to be 'real' but W10 can't see it.

Making a backup to plugged in USB drive has no such problem and is error free .

W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Jun 13, 2015

2. Using SIM (System Image Manager) from ADK 10.0.10240.16384 and mounting INSTALL.WIM error

I used the MS Media Creation Tool to download my copy of W10. I downloaded an ISO. I've used this ISO to install W10.

I then mounted the above ISO and extracted SOURCES\INSTALL.WIM to a folder on my hard disk.

I then downloaded the MS ADK - version 10.0.10240.16384 and installed it. It supposedly is the latest.

I ran SIM (System Image Manager) to create an automation file for use with SYSPREP, and attempted to load the above extracted INSTALL.WIM that was provided by MS. I get an error "an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

When will this bug be fixed. Currently W10 cannot be SYSPREP'd as automation XML files can't be created using MS supplied utilities.

Is there a patch for the ADK/SIM? Any time lines for fixing this

Garry G. Green (The Real One), Jun 13, 2015
  3. System Image too large / high disk utilization

Running W10 on an i7 Alienware. System image taking up taking up 525+Gb which after actual working files leaves only about 45Gb free on drive. Change System Image Settings button is greyed out even though I'm logged on as administrator. Disk cleanup
    says it could recover another 10Gb but just hangs. Task Manager performance almost always shows disk being used 96-100% of the time. Neither full McAfee or any of the freebie malware I tried finds any virus. Any solution to this high disk utilization and
    System image taking up around 70% of the hard disc?

Alan Win10, Jun 13, 2015
Thema:

W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.

1. W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation. - Similar Threads - W10 Disk Image

2. Disk image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disk image: I made a disk image using Reflex. I tried to do a restore to see how It would work. I ended up making 4 files all of which can be used to restore because they have all the folders and files that were backed up. Since I don’t need all of them I tried to delete them but they...
  3. Imaging a disk with macrium

Imaging a disk with macrium: I have tried several times to make an image of a windows 7 disk.. Using macrium reflect and it just won't do it. It says can't make an image of this disk.. no reason given. On the same computer with another disk that has windows 10, it works just fine, i can image it ok....
  4. Windows Image Creation

Windows Image Creation: Hello Boys and Girls I would really like to know what is wrong with the built in windows 10 back up image software. I have tested this windows software without problems, it does what it says on the tin. So why does everyone on this forum suggest to use the same free...
  5. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...
  6. If you recovered W10 using a disk image please check......

in Windows 10 Support
    If you recovered W10 using a disk image please check......: that your Windows Update history is intact and correctly displayed. There seems to be a problem with W10 backup and restore that may involve two possible scenarios, although I can't say for certain at this time whether the second is a real issue or imagined. The...
  7. New to W10 - imaging Q

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New to W10 - imaging Q: Hey all *Smile Have been using W7, where I have Acronis to image my C drive. What is the recommended way to image the C drive in W10? Is Acronis still a good way to go? Should I use the W10 imaging system - called ICD, I think? Thanks in advance. 74130
  8. Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does the ISO W10 Disk create the W7 recovery image?: I created ISO disks for both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems at the MS download site. If I use the ISO disk instead of the Windows Update method, does the install still create the W7 image in case I want to go back to W7 after installing W10? Also, do I boot from the disk or...
  9. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764
  10. Restore with disk image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore with disk image: How do I reinstall Windows 10 from a USB Disk Image 17737