Windows 10: W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

Discus and support W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am extremely livid right now.So DNS Client on Windows 10 has, for as far back as I can remember, had a bug that causes it to constantly eat up around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by aaaaaaaaaaaagh, Jun 20, 2022.

1. W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

I am extremely livid right now.So DNS Client on Windows 10 has, for as far back as I can remember, had a bug that causes it to constantly eat up around 10% of my CPU forever after every time I reboot my computer. This matters a lot, as my computer has some kind of other problem probably hardware that causes the whole thing to lock up and crash if it tries to do too much at once, and if I'm trying to play even a simple video game and too much other stuff is eating CPU usage in the background, it is almost guaranteed to crash within minutes. Screen freezes up, all input becomes unresponsive, s

:)

aaaaaaaaaaaagh, Jun 20, 2022

2. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

You should try some anti-malware scans, since it could be caused by an infection, like being part of a botnet.

Norton Rescue Tools
    Online Virus Scan from ESET

You could try http://nirsoft.net/utils/live_tcp_udp_watch.html to monitor DNS requests.
    Close all internet related software and watch if there are too many requests via port 53.

W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service [​IMG]

Try this: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

You can also disable DNS Client, after you setup your DNS servers manually.

Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste to disable it, then restart.
    Code:
    To enable it back again: Run CMD as admin and copy/paste, then restart.
    Code:

TairikuOkami, Jun 20, 2022
  3. Slstar Win User
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

Thanks, I tried using the app but I'm not familiar with it so I wasn't able to find anything conclusive.

I scanned with ESET Internet Security but I wasn't able to find anything.

Yes, I used that app and there were like 12 request on Port 53.

I tried this but the process continued with its excessive CPU usage.

THANK YOU!

This resolved the isue!

Slstar, Jun 20, 2022
  4. Callender Win User

W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

Flush DNS Cache

New:

DNS Cache Viewer (DCV)

The purpose of DCV is to allow you to view what Windows has in it's local DNS Cache, and allow you to flush it if you want.

Virus Total Report:

For me:

After flush (without manually disabling or stopping the service)

Most of those cached entries are contained in HOSTS file. (27642 after excluding the first 5 lines)

Callender, Jun 20, 2022
Thema:

W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

1. W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service - Similar Threads - W10 DNS Cache

2. W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service: I am extremely livid right now.So DNS Client on Windows 10 has, for as far back as I can remember, had a bug that causes it to constantly eat up around 10% of my CPU forever after every time I reboot my computer. This matters a lot, as my computer has some kind of other...
  3. W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10, DNS Cache mystery CPU usage, and now I can't stop the service: I am extremely livid right now.So DNS Client on Windows 10 has, for as far back as I can remember, had a bug that causes it to constantly eat up around 10% of my CPU forever after every time I reboot my computer. This matters a lot, as my computer has some kind of other...
  4. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue: Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes...
  5. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  6. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  7. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  8. Stopping DNS Cache service in April version of Windodw 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stopping DNS Cache service in April version of Windodw 10: DNS Cache is running in Windows 10 April version, and can't be turned of in services.msc. DNS Cache is unneeded and is slowing down my computer. How can I turn it off?...
  9. DNS Cache

DNS Cache: I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset...
  10. DNS Cache Users

DNS Cache Users: Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance routine? 80766