Windows 10: W10 Dual Boot problem

Discus and support W10 Dual Boot problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wvman80, Feb 9, 2021.

1. wvman80 Win User

W10 Dual Boot problem

I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend.

First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem.

The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu 20.04 on the HD I start having a problem with W10.
    The first time I open the Duel Boot W10 will open as it should & so does Ubuntu. The next time I open w10 it takes several seconds to open. After that every time I try to open W10 it shows a blank screen & takes longer & longer to open, until it won't open at all. Ubuntu opens every time as it should.

I have tried clean installs of both OS's on several HD's with the same results.

Thanks for any ideas as to what I should do.

:)

wvman80, Feb 9, 2021
  2. davew Win User

W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem

I want to Dual Boot my existing W7 pro with W10 pro as in Dual Boot Tutorial by Brink. I made W10 Installation USB removed fast boot & secure boot and installed W10. I have W7 (C drive) on a 500gb SSD and installed a new 500gb SSD for W10 (D drive) I installed W10 on the D drive no problem. Just as shown in the tutorial by Brink, How to Clean Install Windows 10. Everything worked fine except no Dual boot.

On reviewing my steps, I disconnected the C drive so that the W10 install would not install over my W7 pro. My plan was to run and evaluate W10 on a separate drive, adding Applications ie Quick Books, FedEx ship manager one at a time to be sure all worked well. If all OK then I would do another W10 upgrade over my W7.

1. But, I have no dual boot, I think maybe disconnecting the C Drive was wrong, I shot myself in the foot. Do I have to uninstall W10 and reinstall with my C Drive connected? If so, will W10 install on the C drive over W7, that would be a problem. Does the W10 install process allow me to select the installation location.

2. During the Install process, I was asked to enter my Product code I entered the code from my W7 Pro package but got an error message, product code was incorrect. I then checked the later box but I will have to solve this problem. The code I entered was from my W7 pro package?? what to do?

Thank You for any comments

davew, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Feb 9, 2021
  4. tdug Win User

W10 Dual Boot problem

Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

tdug, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

W10 Dual Boot problem

1. W10 Dual Boot problem - Similar Threads - W10 Dual Boot

2. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  3. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  4. Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10: I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question: I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems....
  5. Dual Booting Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting Problem: In my computer I have 2 SSD. 1 is for my personal use. 1 is for work use. The work use one was cloned from my wife's work PC. I would like to be able to choose from either drive upon startup. However, upon installing the work SSD, it appears that it's drive letter is set to...
  6. DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10: I have Linux Mint 19 installed in legacy mode, I wanted to dual boot with Windows 10 (I would install it later to recover the grub), but my pendrive will only boot in UEFI and Mint will not. I was wondering if it is possible to do a dual boot without any bootloader, like...
  7. XP dual boot with W10

XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  8. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  9. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  10. W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem

W7 pro & W10 dual boot problem: I want to Dual Boot my existing W7 pro with W10 pro as in Dual Boot Tutorial by Brink. I made W10 Installation USB removed fast boot & secure boot and installed W10. I have W7 (C drive) on a 500gb SSD and installed a new 500gb SSD for W10 (D drive) I installed W10 on the D...