Windows 10: W10 Duel Boot problem

Discus and support W10 Duel Boot problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wvman80, Feb 9, 2021.

1. wvman80 Win User

W10 Duel Boot problem

I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend.

First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem.

The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu 20.04 on the HD I start having a problem with W10.
    The first time I open the Duel Boot W10 will open as it should & so does Ubuntu. The next time I open w10 it takes several seconds to open. After that every time I try to open W10 it shows a blank screen & takes longer & longer to open, until it won't open at all. Ubuntu opens every time as it should.

I have tried clean installs of both OS's on several HD's with the same results.

Thanks for any ideas as to what I should do.

:)

wvman80, Feb 9, 2021
  2. badrobot Win User

Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7)

You can but make sure to have an image backup of your 7 (or at least know where to find your recovery media for 7 just in case) and your important data. Play it safe.
    If you know nothing about restoring back ot fixing boot issues, I suggest not to do it (or do it on virtual machines). But if you think you know enough, then have fun!

badrobot, Feb 9, 2021
  3. maxal Win User

Hi, just want to check can I duel boot W10 & W7 on a SSD drive.
    Thanks

maxal, Feb 9, 2021
  4. adamf Win User

W10 Duel Boot problem

They do tend to "duel" and fight for the boot programs. Check you can boot into both successfully to make sure as others have had issues dual booting with that. One OS or the other may try to take over...

adamf, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

W10 Duel Boot problem

1. W10 Duel Boot problem - Similar Threads - W10 Duel Boot

2. W10 Dual Boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Dual Boot problem: I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem. The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu...
  3. DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10: I have Linux Mint 19 installed in legacy mode, I wanted to dual boot with Windows 10 (I would install it later to recover the grub), but my pendrive will only boot in UEFI and Mint will not. I was wondering if it is possible to do a dual boot without any bootloader, like...
  4. duel monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    duel monitors: I have a Dell PC. I hooked up a second monitor to the connection right next to where the first monitor was plugged in. The second monitor had a VGA cord. I bought a VGA male to a DVI-D female which plugs into my PC. When I turn on computer I get no signal on second monitor....
  5. W10 usb boot problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 usb boot problem: Hello, i was trying to reinstall windows on my pc, but the bootable usb with windows 10 on it boots into a BSOD with error name "system thread exeption not handled". My SSD boots into windows fine. I tried to use the usb on another laptop and it works fine. In bios, where it...
  6. Help with duel boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with duel boot: I have a duel boot configured on my laptop. Windows 10 and Ubuntu. right now the Ubuntu Boot loader has taken charge and if I catch it in time It defaults to Ubuntu. so I have to actually log int Ubuntu then Log Out and restart and watch as it boots and catch it to select...
  7. dueling computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    dueling computers: my gf just got a new lap top and whenever she changes a setting on that the change effecs my computer and vice versa. WHY? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dueling-computers/313d373e-db29-4767-96fd-b54cdc098834
  8. Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system: Hi, I have windows 10 and windows 7 on a duel boot configuration.I have three drives designated to windows 10.I'm using windows 7 pro 64 bit for gaming only, But I'm running out of storage space. So I want to add a 500 GB sata drive I have in my desk drawer to windows...
  9. build 9879 clean install with duel boot.

build 9879 clean install with duel boot.: HI all, I have a partitioned drive running win 7 and win 10tp. I am just downloading 9879 build iso to perform a clean install. i have read on the forums that this build is causing duel boot problems and trashing the win7 (which is my primary boot O/S)partition. the...
  10. Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7)

Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7): Hi, just want to check can I duel boot W10 & W7 on a SSD drive. Thanks 4938