Windows 10: W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed

Discus and support W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.134) Bitlocker 2.0 encrypted system 1. In File Explorer go to the C: drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nipdawg., Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nipdawg. Win User

W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed

Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.134)

Bitlocker 2.0 encrypted system

1. In File Explorer go to the C: drive and create TestEncryption folder:

2. Right-click on the TestEncryption folder and click Properties.

3. Click on the Advanced button in the General tab.

4. Select Encrypt contents to secure data option, click OK twice.

5. Go in to the TestEncryption folder and create a text file (i.e. testfile.txt) with some text in it.

Please note the security icon showing on the text file icon.

6. If you copy the file on to a USB flash drive and try to view the file, this error shows:

This is working correctly.

Here is how to get around to reading the encrypted file to the system:

1. On the original system you encrypted the testfile.txt file, copy the file over to a cloud drive, such as Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox.

2. Access the Cloud Drive on another computer through the web or installed cloud drive.

3. Copy the testfile.txt file to the computer. The file remains marked as an encrypted file.

4. Open the textfile.txt in Notepad and the file opens in plain text without any error messages.

This is a BUG in Microsoft encryption handling of files!

I haven't used Microsoft Community forums for a very long time and not sure how to report this as a bug. After reading Microsoft's documentation on how this feature works, it does not work very well and needs to get enhanced.

:)

Nipdawg., Nov 19, 2018
  2. KPalmer73 Win User

option to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' is greyed out.

Hi - I need to encrypt my laptop and also enable encryption on some folders due to some work I am doing for a client to comply with GDPR, but the option to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' is greyed out. I recently purchased the laptop with Windows 10.
    Can anyone help?

KPalmer73, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Ariel Acu Win User
    How to enable grayed out "Encrypt Contents to secure data" button.

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Please provide the following information:

• Does the "Encrypt Contents to secure data" option is disabled on all files that you want to encrypt?
    • When was the issue started?
    • Did you check if your computer runs the latest Windows update?

We look forward to your reply.

Ariel Acu, Nov 19, 2018
  4. TLY_849 Win User

Encrypt contents to secure data option is disabled in Windows 10

I am running Windows 10 Home, when I follow the online instructions to encrypt a file or folder by going to Properties -Advanced, the
    "Encrypt contents to secure data" option is unavailable, "grayed out" as shown in the picture. How do I make this option available?

I tried to modify the registry NtfsDisableEncryption in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem, do
    but nothing change. Please help

Thank you

W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed Unable-To-Encrypt.png

TLY_849, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed - Similar Threads - W10 'Encrypt contents

2. Zoom flaw and security

in Windows 10 Customization
    Zoom flaw and security: Using Zoom, I wanted to protect my computer and verify my local security policy; but I don't have it. Is it because I use a Home version? How can I protect my computer from the flaw they talked about from Zoom? Thank you!...
  3. Windows 10 security flaw?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 security flaw?: There are a whole ton of weird articles saying the NSA informed microsoft about a serious security flaw in windows 10 that I don't particularly think it's true. I would like conformation on whether or not it's true Thanks in advance...
  4. "Secure Content"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Secure Content": More incoherent gibberish from M$: From time to time, I get the message at the bottom of the screen: "Only secure content is displayed" That's nice, but there's an obvious question whenever I see this message: What on earth is this "secure content?" And how does M$...
  5. Windows 10 security flaws

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 security flaws: Hi, This is Agnivesh This is a major security flaw with Microsoft windows 10 pro . I had actually forgotten my windows account password.I wanted to crack and make a new account on my laptop.I had tried a bunch of ways to crack the OS but none was proved...
  6. Data encryption

Data encryption: If I go to Manage Bitlocker, their is no drive listed in the fixed data drive.....i am using windows 10 enterprise.....please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-encryption/38ff4050-617f-401b-bf89-cdcf9b702f58"
  7. Windows 10 security flaw

Windows 10 security flaw: My brother sometimes uses my computer and I once deleted his account cause I thought he wouldn't need it, but he once wanted to use it and he didn't know my password and he created an account on his own. I do know that he has a flash drive that can bypass the password or...
  8. Unfixable security flaw in Secure Boot ??

Unfixable security flaw in Secure Boot ??: This guy writes about security issues. Windows Secure Boot: Insecure by design and mostly likely cant be fixed | Network World 59744
  9. Cannot encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

Cannot encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: Hi Was wondering if I could get some help with the Cannot encrypt contents to secure data which is grayed out. In a folder with my data. I'm running Windows 10 thank you. 99197
  10. Why does this serious flaw remain unfixed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does this serious flaw remain unfixed?: [img] I'm a relative newcomer to Win 10, but it's still been 10 months since I encountered this exasperating issue, and I assume it's been present since Win 10 was launched? I can't fathom why there haven't been more complaints to get it fixed. -- Terry, East Grinstead,...