Windows 10: W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed

Discus and support W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.134) Bitlocker 2.0 encrypted system 1. In File Explorer go to the C: drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nipdawg., Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nipdawg. Win User

W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed

Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.134)

Bitlocker 2.0 encrypted system

1. In File Explorer go to the C: drive and create TestEncryption folder:

2. Right-click on the TestEncryption folder and click Properties.

3. Click on the Advanced button in the General tab.

4. Select Encrypt contents to secure data option, click OK twice.

5. Go in to the TestEncryption folder and create a text file (i.e. testfile.txt) with some text in it.

Please note the security icon showing on the text file icon.

6. If you copy the file on to a USB flash drive and try to view the file, this error shows:

This is working correctly.

Here is how to get around to reading the encrypted file to the system:

1. On the original system you encrypted the testfile.txt file, copy the file over to a cloud drive, such as Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox.

2. Access the Cloud Drive on another computer through the web or installed cloud drive.

3. Copy the testfile.txt file to the computer. The file remains marked as an encrypted file.

4. Open the textfile.txt in Notepad and the file opens in plain text without any error messages.

This is a BUG in Microsoft encryption handling of files!

I haven't used Microsoft Community forums for a very long time and not sure how to report this as a bug. After reading Microsoft's documentation on how this feature works, it does not work very well and needs to get enhanced.

:)

Nipdawg., Nov 19, 2018
  2. KPalmer73 Win User

option to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' is greyed out.

Hi - I need to encrypt my laptop and also enable encryption on some folders due to some work I am doing for a client to comply with GDPR, but the option to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' is greyed out. I recently purchased the laptop with Windows 10.
    Can anyone help?

KPalmer73, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Ariel Acu Win User
    How to enable grayed out "Encrypt Contents to secure data" button.

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Please provide the following information:

• Does the "Encrypt Contents to secure data" option is disabled on all files that you want to encrypt?
    • When was the issue started?
    • Did you check if your computer runs the latest Windows update?

We look forward to your reply.

Ariel Acu, Nov 19, 2018
  4. TLY_849 Win User

Encrypt contents to secure data option is disabled in Windows 10

I am running Windows 10 Home, when I follow the online instructions to encrypt a file or folder by going to Properties -Advanced, the
    "Encrypt contents to secure data" option is unavailable, "grayed out" as shown in the picture. How do I make this option available?

I tried to modify the registry NtfsDisableEncryption in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem, do
    but nothing change. Please help

Thank you

W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed Unable-To-Encrypt.png

TLY_849, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 'Encrypt contents of secure data' option remains flawed - Similar Threads - W10 'Encrypt contents

2. Encrypt contents to secure data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data: Hi, I'm trying to lock my folder and tried applying some advanced settings. However, I'm unable to select the option 'Encrypt contents to secure data' in the advanced attributes. Please find attached the screenshot. Please let me know how I can change these settings. Thank...
  3. Encrypt contents to secure data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypt contents to secure data: Hi, I'm trying to lock my folder and tried applying some advanced settings. However, I'm unable to select the option 'Encrypt contents to secure data' in the advanced attributes. Please find attached the screenshot. Please let me know how I can change these settings. Thank...
  4. 'Encrypt contents to secure data Greyed Out'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Encrypt contents to secure data Greyed Out': Can you please help me the 'Encrypt contents to secure data' it is greyed out. I am using windows 11 Home. I have already tried all the steps that probably solved the problem on windows 10 but it didnt work......
  5. encrypt contents to secure data greyed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    encrypt contents to secure data greyed out: encrypt contents to secure data greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypt-contents-to-secure-data-greyed-out/aedcad99-ab13-4b2e-b980-dcf8b5215b32
  6. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  7. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  8. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: I'm trying to encrypt a folder with confidential files in it but it's grayed out. This option is right clicking on the folder >> Advanced >> very last option "Encrypt contents to secure dataWhat I've tried:1 Went into regkey >> and set the boolean value from 0 to 1 for...
  10. Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypt contents to secure data grayed out: I'm trying to encrypt a folder with confidential files in it but it's grayed out. This option is right clicking on the folder >> Advanced >> very last option "Encrypt contents to secure dataWhat I've tried:1 Went into regkey >> and set the boolean value from 0 to 1 for...