Windows 10: W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

Discus and support W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Victorvan Lint, Jan 8, 2021.

1. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to the original directory works.

:)

Victorvan Lint, Jan 8, 2021

2. File explorer search defective

Win 10 build 1990 file explorer search will return list of files if you input the correct name of the file(s) you are looking for and if you enter only the first few characters of the file name it will return a list of every file with names beginning with
    those few characters BUT will NOT return any result if the search characters are not at the front of the file name. ie. if you search for "ab" the results will be a list of files beginning with "ab". But files with names with "ab" in the middle of the name
    eg. "nab.exe" will not be included in search result.

This is contrary to all computing search conventions past and present and should be considered a defect.

Is there a way to rectify this deficiency?

williamtrondl1, Jan 8, 2021
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 8, 2021
  4. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed.

How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results.

Verson: 1909

OS Build: 18363.535

NigelsNutInLaw, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

1. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results" - Similar Threads - W10 File Explorer

2. File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos: Here's the setup:Running Windows 11Have added additional metadata to jpg photos, for example added the word "tree" to the Tags fieldGo to the folder where that jpg is at and enter "Tags:tree" into the search boxNo resultsForced a complete rebuild of the index, still no...
  3. File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not returning any results when searching metadata of JPG photos: Here's the setup:Running Windows 11Have added additional metadata to jpg photos, for example added the word "tree" to the Tags fieldGo to the folder where that jpg is at and enter "Tags:tree" into the search boxNo resultsForced a complete rebuild of the index, still no...
  4. search returns duplicate results

in Windows 10 Customization
    search returns duplicate results: In Search Locations under Search tools in Outlook 2019, my email is listed multiple times. I;m sure this is why the emails are listed multiple times in a search. When I remove the check mark next to one of the duplicate search locations it reappears when I remove the check...
  5. Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results: Hello, The Windows 10 Search function has stopped working. I checked online for the basic troubleshooting and nothing resolved the problem. I will list specifics of the system below. Thanks in advance to any assistance with this search issue. Windows 10 Pro is installed on...
  6. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  7. Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 64 bit 1903 File-Explorer search returns variable results: Win 10 64 bit 1903 (N) version and YES it has been 'refreshed' without change to the results. (Properties - OS partition:- 490GB size 210GB used 637,000 files (100K in C:\Users 100K in c:\Program Files 330K in C:\Windows) using Admin level userid, File-explorer...
  8. File explorer not returning the same results on different computer

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer not returning the same results on different computer: Hi, maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction. I have the following files in a folder: 123abcdef.txt 456abcdef.txt 789abcdef.txt abcdef.txt On my own computer, I can open this folder in the file explorer and enter abc in the search box. All those files...
  9. Windows Search returning no results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search returning no results: Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives. I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already: Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding. Non-indexing and rebuilding. Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding....
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...