Windows 10: w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider?

Discus and support w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I watched a Utube video where the commentator indicated one could periodically backup manually. Does that mean that one slides the subject slider on,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richspacenuke, Sep 8, 2018.

1. w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider?

I watched a Utube video where the commentator indicated one could periodically backup manually. Does that mean that one slides the subject slider on, then goes to options and performs "backup now", then returns slider to the off position? I tried this and it did not change the date of last backup. Is that because the backup frequency set ("hourly" in my case) needs to be changed?

:)

Richspacenuke, Sep 8, 2018

2. File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Sean8 Win User
    Automatic backup

I'm trying to setup automatic backup. In windows 7 I have it setup but it doesn't backup everything in that folder it backs up only stuff that was edited which causes confusion. Is there any easier way to automatically backup everything in a single folder to my external hd

Sean8, Sep 8, 2018
  4. capalbo Win User

w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider?

Automatic backup

RAID as a backup??? Your OS corrupts and you're still still fckd up!!!

Sean89 - you could consider Microsofy SyncToy (free).

Backup is a 2-pronged approach.

There is system backup / imaging that protects you against hardware failure or OS corruption. The Win 7 inbuilt backup is quite good at that. There are other products (more featured) such as Acronis - obviously not free.

However just a system backup is not enough. It's best to also have a file backup that will protect your user files (files you generate ex. documents) from deletion, overwriting, sudden corruption (MS excel anyone??) etc.

I use the Win 7 inbuilt backup for system state and Altaro Oops!Backup for file backup. Both products saved my ass a few times but it was the Oops!Backup product that i'm most thankful for!!! I work a lot with docs, photoshop, dreamweaver files etc and since I modify these files on a daily basis I always want to have the latest version of the files backed up - Altaro Oops!Backup Continuous Data Protection does that for me.

Acronis - Acronis
    Altaro Oops!Backup - Backup Software for Hyper-V & VMware | Altaro

capalbo, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider?

1. w10 file history backup - can it be started other than using "backup automatically" slider? - Similar Threads - w10 file history

2. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  3. I use File history for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I use File history for backup: To a drive on my LAN, if my computer crashes how do I get my files back to my new computer? V2004 B19041.685 171493
  4. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: For the first time in a long time, I cannot backup my files. I have Windows 10. I am using Backup using File History. In the Overview, it states 0 bytes on my external hard drive even though this is not true. Total space is 1.81 TB. I have tried "stop using the drive" and...
  5. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  6. backup File History not starts automatically

backup File History not starts automatically: Hi I created a backup using Files History in W10 1903. The problem is that it never starts automatically. I recreated few times from scratch and set it to Daily, every 12 hours... It works fine manually, when press the button Backup Now. The backup is configured to copy...
  7. Can File History backup the contents of drives other than the C:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can File History backup the contents of drives other than the C:\ drive?: Hi. My C:\ drive is a 256GB RAM drive. All my documents are stored on a 2GB drive labelled M:\, name "Data". In the past I've always used Windows Backup and have always been able to restore files as and when required. When I installed Windows 10 I set up Windows backup. Now...
  8. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Backup using File History

Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 new USB drive for history backup