Windows 10: W10 File History Recovery - Help

Discus and support W10 File History Recovery - Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft World,I've had a catastrophic failure of my W10 operating system. Had to re-install it, wiping my entire drive. Thank goodness I had an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by madpongo, Oct 3, 2021.

1. madpongo Win User

W10 File History Recovery - Help

Hello Microsoft World,I've had a catastrophic failure of my W10 operating system. Had to re-install it, wiping my entire drive. Thank goodness I had an external back up with File History ! I started the File History recovery process 330k+ files of docs, pics, etc. It went on happily for over 19 hours and then whilst I slept it hung at 78% done.I think it was pending W10 updates that caused it, as I forgot do this before starting recovering ?Restarting, File History tells me I don't have enough disc space as it wants to start from the begining ?Question - a Can I resume the recovery pro

:)

madpongo, Oct 3, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 3, 2021
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 3, 2021
  4. W10 File History Recovery - Help

File History Event ID 204 Windows 10

File history doesn't recognize this drive?

Patrick J.Parker, Oct 3, 2021
Thema:

W10 File History Recovery - Help

1. W10 File History Recovery - Help - Similar Threads - W10 File History

2. file history recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history recovery: Himy laptop was stolen, i was using filehistory as a backupwhen i tried to recover the backup i messed up, and stopped the process, and for what i read in this forums this is a crucial point, cause i believe the system rewrites the config files on the backupat this point im...
  3. file history recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history recovery: Himy laptop was stolen, i was using filehistory as a backupwhen i tried to recover the backup i messed up, and stopped the process, and for what i read in this forums this is a crucial point, cause i believe the system rewrites the config files on the backupat this point im...
  4. Interrupted File History Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Interrupted File History Recovery: About halfway through a huge recovery action started to restore my files, the system rebooted for some unknown reason. I seem to only be able to start over. Will this create duplicate files of the ones that had been recovered the first time? Is there any way to avoid that or...
  5. Interrupted File History Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interrupted File History Recovery: About halfway through a huge recovery action started to restore my files, the system rebooted for some unknown reason. I seem to only be able to start over. Will this create duplicate files of the ones that had been recovered the first time? Is there any way to avoid that or...
  6. Help with File History Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with File History Restore: Hello - I am having trouble successfully restoring a backup I made using File History on a previous installation of Windows 10. On this install of Win10, I backed up a handful of directories to a Synology NAS using File History. Taking a look, it appears that all files...
  7. Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?: Is it possible to restore a File History backup from Windows 10 to a Windows 8.1 installation? I do know it is possible to restore a backup from W10 to W10. I am considering downgrading my laptop from W10 to W8.1. Obviously the first step is to back up all of my data there...
  8. File History Help

File History Help: I'm considering using File History to backup my files. I'd like to backup to my external HDD and my USB. I would rather not keep the USB plugged in all the time and was wondering what would happen if I set up a backup to it but removed the stick after Windows gets done...
  9. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...
  10. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684