Windows 10: W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

Discus and support W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I will first describe my situation. I have a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 Mk6 with i5-3rd gen core + 16GB RAM. The machine has been in my hands... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SJLPHI, Jan 8, 2021.

1. SJLPHI Win User

W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

Hello,

I will first describe my situation. I have a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 Mk6 with i5-3rd gen core + 16GB RAM. The machine has been in my hands for a few years now and it used to act as a mobile wifi server using Windows 7 Pro or linux and has never had any issues. The computer is designed to have very easily swappable 2.5" HDD/SSD and I have the following:

1TB Windows 7 Pro HDD
    500GB Linux SSD
    500GB Windows 10 Pro SSD

As I previously stated on Windows 7 and Linux, zero problems.

Now, on Windows 10, the computer randomly freezes then crashes. I've checked the event scheduler and event logs to find out the clues to what's causing the crash and I haven't found anything useful in the log other than an error message that the computer shut down unexpectedly.

It's not a regular event either, the computer would stay on perfectly fine for 40 days then suddenly freeze then crash when I open up google chrome. Or when I turn on VLC to open a video in a few minutes after reboot.

I am 100% sure that this is not a hardware issue because again, everything checks out on the other drives and the SSD has been tested several times and no error found.

I have tried using chkdsk, memory tests, sfc, drivers are all up to date PCIE power saving disabled, fast startup disabled, reset winsock, tried rescue disk (no error found).

It's certainly not malware/virus as the computer is well protected behind firewall and AV/AA services of the stationary server.

One finnicky part is that before I installed the W10 as it is, I actually had W10 installed on a platter HDD. I used AOEMI backer upper to clone the platter HDD to SSD and aligned it to SSD. Nothing noticeable went wrong during the cloning but on another computer I had to reinstall a W10 after cloning process even though its linux counterpart was cloned without any issues.

The only solution to the above was to reinstall W10, and I am getting close to reinstalling W10 Pro on my toughbook to ruleout problems during cloning.

Is there anything else I should try before I do that? I may take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger SSD.

:)

SJLPHI, Jan 8, 2021

2. Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Jan 8, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jan 8, 2021
  4. W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

1. W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently - Similar Threads - W10 Freeze crash

2. Infrequent Freezes/Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infrequent Freezes/Crashes: Hello,I've been having infrequent crashes/freezes for a while now. I've mostly been trying to sort this out on my own but I've hit the limit of my tech literacy at this point.The last five crashes I've had have all thrown up event ID 1001 bugcheck reboots and I've attached...
  3. Infrequent Freezes/Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infrequent Freezes/Crashes: Hello,I've been having infrequent crashes/freezes for a while now. I've mostly been trying to sort this out on my own but I've hit the limit of my tech literacy at this point.The last five crashes I've had have all thrown up event ID 1001 bugcheck reboots and I've attached...
  4. Random Crashes/Freezes

Random Crashes/Freezes: For 2-3 weeks now I've been experiencing random crashes/freezes, from various sources according to the Reliability Monitor; Word, Firefox, Chrome Browser, Brave Browser, Windows Explorer. I've documented them all, but for now let list the ones from yesterday.Like I said,...
  5. Random crashes and freezes

Random crashes and freezes: hi, lately i've been experiences some crashes, when that happens my screen just fereezes and than the only thing i can do with it is just turn of the pc. I of course checked every the basics like cpu temperature etc and every is where it should be at. So i cheked the error...
  6. Infrequent Audio? Driver crashes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Infrequent Audio? Driver crashes: When it happens, generally the whole computer freeze for ~5-10 seconds. Sometimes is crashes the video feed in video applications such as Twitch. I believe it is also tied to audio issues, maybe drivers as it seems like every time after this happens Discord reports that the...
  7. W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently: Hello, I will first describe my situation. I have a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 Mk6 with i5-3rd gen core + 16GB RAM. The machine has been in my hands for a few years now and it used to act as a mobile wifi server using Windows 7 Pro or linux and has never had any issues. The...
  8. Random & infrequent BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random & infrequent BSOD: Our small church has a PowerSpec computer that we use to audio record our services. The pastor got a good deal from his son-in-law for the PC. The computer is usually left on, with only the screen blanking out after a while. It may go for weeks without problems, then BSOD or...
  9. PC randomly, infrequently crashes.

PC randomly, infrequently crashes.: I used to have crashing problems a while ago, but i seemed to have fixed them up until recently. Every now and then, very infrequently happens maybe once a month with everyday use my PC will lock up and freeze. There will be a small blue rectangle in the top left corner of...
  10. Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes

Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes: Hello! I have been having issues with my gaming PC for several months now. Basically, I will occasionally get blue screens and the error messages seem to usually be related to memory (usually the error is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"). This happens pretty infrequently, but...