Windows 10: W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox)

Discus and support W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, fairly new W10 install based on W7 upgrade. Stock drivers for everything. While playing computer games recently (particularly DOSBOX ones) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dryden22, Oct 3, 2015.

1. dryden22 Win User

W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox)

Hi, fairly new W10 install based on W7 upgrade.

Stock drivers for everything.

While playing computer games recently (particularly DOSBOX ones) I experience that the system simply grinds to a halt after a certain time.

Even trying to get a Task Manager/Process Manager running (ctrl-alt-del) then takes ages and nothing will close and I can only reboot the system.

There is no hard disk activity during that time. Memory is always around 2G (50% of 4G in use).

During this "system slowdown" any sound that is still playing in the computer game is then also "fragmented" or "slowmotioned" (the hagging, intermittend sound). Almost as if it is caused by audio.

I have no clue what this could be. Also during these slowdowns usually from what I can see there is no high CPU consumption.

I believe also sometimes after a while it restores itself, ie. some YouTube video playing in a browser will resume playing normally without all the delays and hickups.

Simply crawls to a halt. Do you people have any idea what this might be? And how to diagnose it, if in any case?

Currently I'm having to reset (reboot) this laptop time and time again. I did install a few audio tools / enhancers like "DFX" and another one (that I just removed) but I don't think this is related to those installs (?). I'm seriously... I believe I have no errors like this (the dragging of the computer and the audio) unless I'm playing a DOSBOX game.

And every DOSBOX game has it (those from GOG.com).

:)

dryden22, Oct 3, 2015
  2. LOTGS Win User

Laptop grinding to a halt

It doesn't seem like I can get access to the menu you're referring to I'm afraid. I followed your instructions but holding down F11 when powering does nothing- I just get the VAIO splash screen followed by the BSOD. The same is true with all of the function
    buttons as I tried them for good measure, both holding them down and tapping them.

LOTGS, Oct 3, 2015
  3. LOTGS Win User
    Laptop grinding to a halt

Thanks for persisting with me. I tried the USB in my desktop PC and the media does indeed load ok, so there seems to be no problem with that.

I've also tried to follow the illustrated steps in the clean install guide but am having trouble here. On my laptop I access the BIOS screen via a VAIO assist screen. From this screen I can choose to boot from the USB (resulting in the aforementioned BSOD)
    or can enter the BIOS screen. In the BIOS there is a 'boot mode' option that has always been set to UEFI, but I don't seem able to actually choose the USB drive as shown in the first illustration of the clean install guide. I can only enable 'external device
    boot'. When I do this and exit the BIOS screen, it apparently tries to boot from the USB, but this again results in the BSOD.

LOTGS, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox)

1. W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox) - Similar Threads - W10 grinding halt

2. Periodically Antimalware service executive runs and it grinds my computer to a halt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Periodically Antimalware service executive runs and it grinds my computer to a halt: Antimqlware service executive sometimes run using way too many resources and I can't use my computer at all.I teach online and have deadlines, as when it happens its a complete disaster. You can't even close it on task manager. How to fix this absolute terrible service from...
  3. Periodically Antimalware service executive runs and it grinds my computer to a halt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Periodically Antimalware service executive runs and it grinds my computer to a halt: Antimqlware service executive sometimes run using way too many resources and I can't use my computer at all.I teach online and have deadlines, as when it happens its a complete disaster. You can't even close it on task manager. How to fix this absolute terrible service from...
  4. Periodically Antimalware service executive runs and it grinds my computer to a halt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  6. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  7. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. W10 install halts on Copying Windows files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 install halts on Copying Windows files: I am reinstalling Windows 10 using the creation tool. All goes well until I get to the "Copying Windows files" screen won't advance with green check-marks in Getting Files, Installing Features, etc. I even tried a different hard drive with the same results. I know in past...
  9. After leaving PC for a few minutes, everything grinds to a halt Disk 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After leaving PC for a few minutes, everything grinds to a halt Disk 100%: I have a Windows 10 PC with a decent gaming setup and a large hard drive. But whenever I leave my computer for over 2 or 3 minutes, it suddenly locks up for about 30 seconds and the computer slows down. Nothing launches, nothing responds, I can't click on anything. I have...
  10. format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a

in Windows 10 Support
    format C:, then fresh install, HD STILL grinds and grinds and grinds a: I had to resort to a full re-install of Windows 10 (from an WIndows 10 ISO disc I created) because it was bogging my hard drive down so hard the activitly LED was on non-stop and it just endlessly grinded and grinded doing something lol....There is either some kind (or many...