Windows 10: W10 Hibernation - shutdown query

Discus and support W10 Hibernation - shutdown query in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; With hibernation turned ON, the windows shutdown does not make a proper shutdown, it's still using hibernation feature - To do a proper reboot of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Straszak_PL, Dec 19, 2021.

1. W10 Hibernation - shutdown query

With hibernation turned ON, the windows shutdown does not make a proper shutdown, it's still using hibernation feature - To do a proper reboot of the whole system I need to do a Restart. Is there any way to make the system work in such way, that hibernation works only when I choose Hibernate button, instead of the shutdown?

submitted by /u/Straszak_PL
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Straszak_PL, Dec 19, 2021

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

W10 Hibernation - shutdown query [​IMG]

Bald Eagle, Dec 19, 2021
  3. Is it ok to Hibernate on W10

Just for clarity, what are the specific steps that you took in adding the hibernate option to the Start menu? We will give you the most advisable way in adding back the hibernate option to the Start menu. Kindly do the following steps using an administrator
    account:

• Type control panel on the search bar.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power Options.
    • On the left panel, click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Put a check on Hibernate.
    • Click on Save changes, then close the window.

If the steps that you took are different from what we have given, we highly recommend that you do the given steps instead.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Dec 19, 2021
  4. Louie Del Win User

W10 Hibernation - shutdown query

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

W10 Hibernation - shutdown query 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Dec 19, 2021
Thema:

W10 Hibernation - shutdown query

1. W10 Hibernation - shutdown query - Similar Threads - W10 Hibernation shutdown

2. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  3. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  4. Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate: Dear all,I hope you may help me in this situation.I have a fairly recent Dell XPS 9500, i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16,0 GB, 4k touch display.I am on the Dev insider ring, and currently on the last 21634 release.I am pretty satisfied with the system even if I have to admit the...
  5. power button and hibernate query

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power button and hibernate query: When I quickly press the Power Button on my laptop, it is set to go into Hibernate. Two times lately, it seemingly is going into Hibernate, the machine powers down and suddenly it comes right back out of what should be Hibernate. The first time it did this, I rebooted the...
  6. Hibernating and shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernating and shutdown: Hi All i have a problem when hibernating it wakes up after a while and the reason it says in event viewer is unknown and the powercfg -waketimer shows me nothing. 162306
  7. Basic W10 Update Query

Basic W10 Update Query: I would like to delay the latest major update. On May 20, I set my delay for 30 days, until June 19. After the 19th, I assume it will start updating. How can I avoid this? (W10 ver 1909_ Mel 158063
  8. Shutdown Query

Shutdown Query: When I left click windows icon, left click the power icon and select 'shut down' the machine goes through the process of shutting down. After it has been off for 5 minutes, I press the power button on the side of the monitor to start it up. I wait another 5 minutes to give...
  9. shutdown after hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    shutdown after hibernate: hi Is my pc going to hibernate and then when i want to work afterwarts no problem. The problem is when i press the on off button of my desktop nothing happend. I can only sutdown my pc by the startmenu schutdown Why ? 82547
  10. Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating: How can I make Windows 10 shutdown instead of hibernating? Everytime I shutdown, then turn my PC back on, I have to do a hard reboot because VeraCrypt gets all confused. 48965