Windows 10: W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...

Discus and support W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi In W10 Home we have added an external 2TB drive to the File History Start>Settings>Update and Security>Back-up>Add a drive So whenever this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mantari, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Mantari Win User

W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...

Hi

In W10 Home we have added an external 2TB drive to the File History Start>Settings>Update and Security>Back-up>Add a drive

So whenever this drive is connected it is now always associated with the Back-Up function.

However, as things have changed, we wish to remove this drive from this association/feature but we cannot find any way to remove this drive completely from this relationship.

WE have switched OFF the File History but every time the drive is plugged in it is still shown as the drive associated to the Back-up feature. As a result of this continued association we cannot use this drive to save a System Image, it fails because it is already being used by this Back-up function!

So, the question is in W10 Home where do you go to remove this added drive from Back-up? I dont want any drive added as I no longer want to use this feature.

Many thanks

M

:)

Mantari, Jan 26, 2021

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Jan 26, 2021
  3. File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 26, 2021
  4. W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -...

1. W10 Home - "Back up Using File History" - Remove External Drive associated with it -... - Similar Threads - W10 Home Using

2. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  3. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  4. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  5. Back up using File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up using File History: Hi, I am trying to back up using file history but when I try to add a drive it says "No usable drives found". My WD Elements drive works fine and I can save my work there but when I try to Add a drive for back up using file history it says no usable drives found. Please help....
  6. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  7. backing up files using File History to a flash drive

backing up files using File History to a flash drive: I have been using File History (Windows 10) to back up my files on a flash drive but am unable to verify that these files have in fact been backed up. They don't appear when I examine the contents of the flash drive using file explorer. I have not needed to recover any...
  8. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  9. Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive. It is set to save files for 1 month, but it saves them forever. Is there a way to get it to delete anything that was saved more than a month ago? Thank You 141968
  10. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive: I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation. Is there a speedier process without need for...