Windows 10: W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

Discus and support W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet. Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 3, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

Hi folks
    Anybody tried the recently released DEBIAN 10 (Buster) as a VM with a Windows 10 Host yet.
    Interested to know what it looks like -- I'll try myself a bit later but got things to do this weekend.

Thinking of changing my NAS's from CENTOS to DEBIAN as KDE is being dropped by RHEL and CENTOS 8 -- next release -- so might get a bit of testing in. DEBIAN has been around "Since Pontius was a Pilot" !!!! i.e literally years and years and is also 100% stable but more leading edge with some packages -- I don't want to use FEDORA as that's too much of a developers thing rather than built for stability.

I usually install the KDE GUI as I run a load of VM's on these NAS's -- plenty of horsepower for that -- and I prefer the KDE plasma desktop over the basic ubuntu (GNOME) or Linux Mint interface. The VM's usually run with VMWARE so I do need a GUI.

Eventually I might go "GUI-LESS" using ESXi or similar but VMWare works perfectly for what I need (now that the initial glitch with it on some W10 releases a few back) has been fixed.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 3, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken

Hi folks

Windows Host -- latest Insider rel w10 pro a-64.

I like DEBIAN also for servers -- latest LTS ( Debian "Stretch") avoids 99% of problems with SAMBA / Windows connections etc but there is a problem with VMWARE workstation 14.1 when you try and attach a USB3 external HDD drive (formatted XFS -- a Linux file system).

Normally no problem you just attach the drive via the VMware VM menu - windows doesn't do anything with the Linux drive -- just recognizes the hardware.

However drive (and USB) not recognized at all by the VM - in removable devices USB3 HDD not seen at all -- can't say if this is a Windows or VM problem. In fact no USB devices seem to be recognized at at all by the VM either USB2 or 3.

Get around fix-- in the VMware config attach the USB3 drive as a RAW (physical drive) and then simply mount it once your VM is powered on. You have to do this though before power on --select use whole drive and ignore the "invalid partition" message -- there's no windows partitions on EXT4 / XFS file systems. !!!

Tried the same VM on another computer running latest non insider release of windows but same release of VMware workstation -- perfect --no probs whatsoever.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 3, 2019
  3. Account failed logon 4625 on VM guest when clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster Manager on VM Host

Issue:

We found a multiple failed logon events on VM guest (evert ID 4625) with account (the account you logon on VM host) when we clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster manager console on VM host with Integration servers (Data Exchange) is enabled.

How to reproduce:

1. Check the “Data Exchange” is enabled on a VM guest (Enabled by default, right?)
    2. Open Failover Cluster Manager Console on VM host.
    3. Click the VM guest entry
    4. Then you may found multiple failed logon events on that VM guest.

Reference:

Hyper-V Integration Services

Question:

1. Does the multiple failed logons are normal or necessary?
    2. If the failed logons are normal and necessary to be happened and the “Data exchange” function is good to be enabled to gather data from VM guest, any recommendation for us to correct or avoid these failed logon?

Please advise.

Constrain:

We have no chance to use same account and password on VM hosts and VM guests (because all account are managed by password management) and the Audit Policy of Audit Credential Validation must be enabled.

KeithW_911, Aug 3, 2019
  4. W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, Aug 3, 2019
Thema:

W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet

1. W10 Host with Debian 10 (buster) VM anyone yet - Similar Threads - W10 Host Debian

2. Audio Issue on win 11 yet VM win10 on same host is fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Issue on win 11 yet VM win10 on same host is fine: I'm running a pro recording studio with a pci soundcard with 24x ins and outs and 2 midi interfaces, sometime in the last month, i suspect when the sound icons changed in the task bar, i cannot keep my audio driver up for more than a few minutes, all sample rates and bit...
  3. Audio Issue on win 11 yet VM win10 on same host is fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio Issue on win 11 yet VM win10 on same host is fine: I'm running a pro recording studio with a pci soundcard with 24x ins and outs and 2 midi interfaces, sometime in the last month, i suspect when the sound icons changed in the task bar, i cannot keep my audio driver up for more than a few minutes, all sample rates and bit...
  4. Debian Buster users changes in su command

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Debian Buster users changes in su command: Hi there people using DEBIAN BUSTER as a VM (or even as a real distro) should be aware that su changes the path so you won't find a lot of programs from the command line (bash) To get back to the old way (path works as before) use su -l command now. Then it all works as...
  5. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  6. Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken

Debian Stretch VM on latest Windows Host with VM - USB3 broken: Hi folks Windows Host -- latest Insider rel w10 pro a-64. I like DEBIAN also for servers -- latest LTS ( Debian "Stretch") avoids 99% of problems with SAMBA / Windows connections etc but there is a problem with VMWARE workstation 14.1 when you try and attach a USB3 external...
  7. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  8. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  9. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...
  10. W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup: I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I thought it would have picked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installing Debian 10 buster using hyper v

2. debian buster hyper-v