Windows 10: W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH

Discus and support W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks these days you can SSH INTO windows from another machine without needing any 3rd party software -- the client is available by default but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Feb 20, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH

Hi folks
    these days you can SSH INTO windows from another machine without needing any 3rd party software -- the client is available by default but the server is also present -- you install it in the Add features in settings and then you have to enable it.

However that's not quite the end of the story as you have to enable it so go into powershell (admin mode) , start the sshd service and set it to start automatically on boot.

Now for example from a Linux machine I can ssh into a windows one -- if you want to mess around woth ports etc alter firewall rules to suit.

Anyway simple screenshots showing the base principle of how to use it.

1) Windows side : set up ssh server: (note change config file if you want to permit "root" or admin ssh access.

W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH [​IMG]

2) Linux side logon to Windows SSH -- testing using a Linux Virtual Machine.

first on the Linux box as normal user enter ssh [email protected] Enter password at prompt then you will get into the windows box in command mode as shown here

W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH [​IMG]

If you want a full Windows GUI though you will have to have some type of "X" server on the Linux box (a Window manager) and enable 'X' (yes it's 'X' - not a typo !!) over ssh but that's another story -- usually for quick access the command lie is good enough for admin things and to retrieve the odd file (or receive one).

I use it on the Linux box in a bash script to receive a Macrium image backup I run on the Windows box nightly. That way I've always got a Windows backup file on the NAS server as well as on Windows itself.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 20, 2020
  2. meulie Win User

SSH client/server? VPN? RDP?

Does the N900 have an SSH-client? Or can it run as SSH server?

Support for VPN?

RDP client?

Greetings,

Evert

meulie, Feb 20, 2020
  3. SSH client/server? VPN? RDP?

Howdy,

I run OpenSSH client and server on my N900. I use the SSH server connect into my N900 and control it via the x11vnc server.

I also use OpenConnect VPN client to connect into my Cisco ASA firewall using SSL VPN. I sometimes use rdesktop to RDP to Widows machines on the network.

All of these programs are on the Maemo Extras-Devel repository.

Check out this link and go to the "How to activate Extras-devel" section:

Extras-devel - maemo.org wiki

Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

cnicola---01, Feb 20, 2020
  4. cybaea Win User

SSH client/server? VPN? RDP?

There is an ssh client and a server package available in the Applications Manager once you enable the 'Maemo Extras' catalogue. Works a charm

cybaea, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

1. W10 includes BOTH SERVER and Client SSH - Similar Threads - W10 includes BOTH

2. Getting notification for ssh client connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting notification for ssh client connection: I have enabled OpenSSH server as an optional feature of windows 11, I was wondering if there is a way to get notified in the windows notification center when the client is connected?...
  3. Getting notification for ssh client connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting notification for ssh client connection: I have enabled OpenSSH server as an optional feature of windows 11, I was wondering if there is a way to get notified in the windows notification center when the client is connected?...
  4. Getting notification for ssh client connection

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Installation/Enabling of SSH-Server not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installation/Enabling of SSH-Server not working: For a project I need SSH (both the client as well as the server) on my local machine. So I did an "add optional feature", picked the SSH client as well as the SSH server and installed both. The installation went smooth, i.e. the progress bar for both reached 100% and I got an...
  6. SSH: tasks closed with the SSH session (Minecraft Server)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSH: tasks closed with the SSH session (Minecraft Server): So i have tried running it normally wich runs it in the opened terminal. I also tried using start server.bat wich supposedly opens a separate CMD but it still closes with my session. submitted by /u/ZNOW_05 [link] [comments]...
  7. SSH client can't access WSL

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSH client can't access WSL: Hi! I'm connecting to my pc over ssh form my iPad. so far it works, but i need to open the ubuntu shell. Normally, in the cmd/pwsh i just type "ubuntu" and it works, but over ssh i'm getting this error: Program "ubuntu.exe" failed to run: The file cannot be accessed by the...
  8. Dual Boot W10 and W7 with Bitlocker for both including enhanced PIN

Dual Boot W10 and W7 with Bitlocker for both including enhanced PIN: Has anyone done this? Also want a serperate data parition which should be bitclockerd and accessible by both OS. I have done this in the past for Vista and W7 and am wondering if anyone has current instructions or a tutorial. The dual boot and partitioning should be easy so...
  9. Issue with SMB Shares W10 Client and Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with SMB Shares W10 Client and Server: Hi all, Have been trawling high and low to look at this issue and I know there are some other threads out there that discuss this, but not this specific issue. We have 2 Windows 10 computers, one acting as SMB Server and the other a client sharing an application that...
  10. Remote desktop client: SSH tunnel

Remote desktop client: SSH tunnel: Feature request to add SSH tunnel as an alternative to RD Gateway. I thought it's pretty common, and RD Gateway is fantastically rare (and a living nightmare to set up, especially for those who don't own a Windows server). What does it take to get this feature added?...